• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Help with old(er) humidor

pennjones

So I have a humidor my siser in law bought me a while ago. It's not a very high end one, but it's sentimental to me, because she engraved it and gave it to me for Christmas a few years ago. And it actually has a good seal. My problem is, when I first got into cigars I didn't know much, and apparently I didn't check on my cigars often enough, and there was a puddle on the bottom of the humi, of which the cigars that were over it got mold. Now I haven't been using this humi since then (probably 2 years ago), I've just been storing accessories in it. My question is, after all this time, is it safe to use as a humidor again? I don't want to risk mold outbreak, and I've sanded the spot lightly in the past, but there's still a "spot" on the wood from where the water was laying.

Others may differ when chiming in on this, but I think you are fine. Sand the ENTIRE humidor down with some really fine grit sandpaper, and wipe it down with distilled water. Season it for a week or so, and check to see if you have any growth.

Chances are if you've deprived that thing of moisture for 2 years, and you sand it down enough to get any baddies out of the wood, you should be able to use it.

Thanks souldog, that's kind of what I was thinking (and hoping to hear). If it has been dry for this long, it should be ok. I was just affraid about the water spot, but at this point I think it's just a discoloration from the mishap.

If it has been dry in there that long and the mold is gone then you will be fine. Like stated by soul, be sure to sand down the inside of the humi with some very fine sand paper. Once you are done vacuum it out and then wipe down the inside with a lightly damped rag of distilled water. Then start your seasoning process..... Remember to be careful with spilling water in there as you saw what could happen, but also it can warp the cedar.

Back