• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Here we go again!

Spad31

Previously, on Battlestar Galactica...
Decided a pipe would be nice, so ordered one (Rattray Red Lion -59).

Came in the mail with a tin of CAO Bella Vanilla.

So far, loving it! Quick, easy to smoke and I can see I'm about to get the sickness and get into pipes and tobacco.

Been reading the Pipe forum for a day or so, and have already learned a lot.

Still, for our old hands out there with experience, thoughts on types, shape, brands, etc. of pipes? Tobacco flavors/styles I can experiment with, since each will be a personal taste (like the pipes would be), but I'd appreciate feedback or suggestions if you see fit.

Thanks all and try to stay warm! BRRRR!

-Trey

I haven't smoked a cigar in quite sometime. I've been smoking pipes daily and love it. While I do enjoy cigars, I like being able to smoke and not smell like a cigar when I'm done.

Alot of questions in your post my friend... I'll try to answer a couple.

First off, great pipe you bought. Rattrays pipes are actually made in Saint-Claude by Chacom, one of the biggest/oldest factory in the world. Like with any new pipe, follow a break-in procedure, as it is important to build a quality "cake" inside your pipe. Look the net for "pipe break-in procedure", you'll find plenty. Mine is to smoke 5-10 bowls with only 1/3 of the chamber filled with tobacco, the 5-10 bowls with 2/3 and finally go all in with full bowls......Note that not all tobaccos are good cake builders, aros should be avoided as they tend to build a very fragile cake. Try with pure virginias or burleys, they are more neutral, and do not "ghost" the pipe like an aro will.

As for brands of pipe, your budget will judge. There are very good quality 40-65$ pipes that can be bought. Look for brands like Butz Choquin, Chacom, Ropp, Jeantet and Lacroix for french pipes. Look for GBD, BBB, Prince of Wales, Comoys and Guildhall for english pipes. Look for Stanwell, Georg Jensen for Danish pipes and Peterson for Irish pipes. Look for Kaywoodie, Carey Magic inch and Missouri Meerschaum for american pipes.Look for Blatter pipes for canadian pipes, and Savinelli and Brebbia for italian pipes. They are quality brand pipes from quality material, but obviously, there are qualities and exceptions in every brand.

As to tobaccos, there are alot of styles: aro, straight virginia, straight burley, virginia/perique, english blend, oriental blend, balkan blend, aromatic english.... My suggestion would be to buy samples (1 oz) from retailers who sell bulk tobacco, and see what type you like. Then, in that type, buy samples of different tobaccos. That will help you narrow your taste profile, and allow you to buy tins knowing you'll lile that tobacco....

Also, just know that if you have any question, just post here in the "Pipe smoker" section and fellow brothesr will try to help you out!

Happy smoking,

Gianni
Also, I forgot to mention to smoke SLOWLY, in particular with your new pipe that is not broken-in yet... Pipes should not get hot to the point they get uncomfortable to hold, they should be warm, never hot.

giannilibrizzi said:
Alot of questions in your post my friend... I'll try to answer a couple.

First off, great pipe you bought. Rattrays pipes are actually made in Saint-Claude by Chacom, one of the biggest/oldest factory in the world. Like with any new pipe, follow a break-in procedure, as it is important to build a quality "cake" inside your pipe. Look the net for "pipe break-in procedure", you'll find plenty. Mine is to smoke 5-10 bowls with only 1/3 of the chamber filled with tobacco, the 5-10 bowls with 2/3 and finally go all in with full bowls......Note that not all tobaccos are good cake builders, aros should be avoided as they tend to build a very fragile cake. Try with pure virginias or burleys, they are more neutral, and do not "ghost" the pipe like an aro will.

As for brands of pipe, your budget will judge. There are very good quality 40-65$ pipes that can be bought. Look for brands like Butz Choquin, Chacom, Ropp, Jeantet and Lacroix for french pipes. Look for GBD, BBB, Prince of Wales, Comoys and Guildhall for english pipes. Look for Stanwell, Georg Jensen for Danish pipes and Peterson for Irish pipes. Look for Kaywoodie, Carey Magic inch and Missouri Meerschaum for american pipes.Look for Blatter pipes for canadian pipes, and Savinelli and Brebbia for italian pipes. They are quality brand pipes from quality material, but obviously, there are qualities and exceptions in every brand.

As to tobaccos, there are alot of styles: aro, straight virginia, straight burley, virginia/perique, english blend, oriental blend, balkan blend, aromatic english.... My suggestion would be to buy samples (1 oz) from retailers who sell bulk tobacco, and see what type you like. Then, in that type, buy samples of different tobaccos. That will help you narrow your taste profile, and allow you to buy tins knowing you'll lile that tobacco....

Also, just know that if you have any question, just post here in the "Pipe smoker" section and fellow brothesr will try to help you out!

Happy smoking,

Gianni
Also, I forgot to mention to smoke SLOWLY, in particular with your new pipe that is not broken-in yet... Pipes should not get hot to the point they get uncomfortable to hold, they should be warm, never hot.
Hey Gianni! Thanks! That was an EXCELLENT reply!

Here's what I've done after reading around the forum a little and trying to use common sense:

I have been using small bowls...5- or 10 so far at about 1/4 - 1/3 full.
No cake yet, so thanks for the advice on aros and "ghosting"...seems like I'd read about pipes taking on the flavors...Maybe Jake's pipe 101 post...good to know how to start neutral!
-Heh...just got an email that an order for tobacco has shipped...mostly aros...I'll go back and look again at some following your advice.
I smoke slowly. Relaxed. Each bowl so far is about 10 minutes.

Again, thaks for an awesome reply! You helped!

Canada, eh? Hell no! Too cold! I'm freezing just thinking about it!

have a great day!

-Trey

From my experience it seems like a most aromatics are sweet smelling while most English blends are smokey smelling.
If you're getting into pipe smoking for the smell as much as the taste you might like aromatics better.
If you're more interested in the taste and don't care how the tobacco smells when it's burning you might prefer English blends.
You'll see a lot of people say that they started out smoking aromatics and switched to English blends and you're not a real pipe smoker if you smoke aromatics.
Don't pay any attention to that crap.
Find what you like and smoke it.
Often!

diapanos said:
From my experience it seems like a most aromatics are sweet smelling while most English blends are smokey smelling.
If you're getting into pipe smoking for the smell as much as the taste you might like aromatics better.
If you're more interested in the taste and don't care how the tobacco smells when it's burning you might prefer English blends.
You'll see a lot of people say that they started out smoking aromatics and switched to English blends and you're not a real pipe smoker if you smoke aromatics.
Don't pay any attention to that crap.
Find what you like and smoke it.
Often!
Damn right!

Like what you smoke, smoke what you like!

The "smokey" smell of english blends comes from....smoke! It is actually the process of curing latakia tobacco, fire curing. The tobacco is set over a smokey fire of aromatic wood, give it the aroma. Kinda smells like your clothes after a night around a campfire...

Usually, like you say, new smokers tend to smoke aros first, but some people coming from cigar smoking sometimes (like me) go straight for english and balkan/oriental blends.

No matter what you smoke, smoke it slowly!

@Spad31;

No problem man, happy to help!

Canada is a great country, but winters are aweful! This one in particular has been cruel, cold as hell!

For breaking-in a pipe, I would suggest either a straight virginia (Stokkebye 701 virginia, SG Full virginia flake, Mcclelland 5100, Veermaster, ...), a straight burley ( Prince Albert, Cornell & Diehl 808, Stokkebye 702 burley, Solani or Wessex burley flake,...).

If it was me, I would go with either Stokkebye 701 Virginia (which you can buy by the ounce) or Prince Albert, which is easily found anywhere, and build a quick cake. Usually, look for a cake thickness of let's say a dime to a nickel, no more. Buy a pipe reamer, don't do it with a knife, you'll ruin your pipe if not careful...

Building a cake with straight virginia or burley also has an added bonus; you'll get used to those two tobaccos which are the base for almost every tobacco there is....

Gianni

You also might find some English blends that don't smell so bad.
And also bear in mind that the way they smell in the can is not necessarily the  way they will smell when you smoke them.
I thought Hearth & Home Blakouse smelled like ass and smokey wood in the can but when I smoked it it smelled very different.
Not as nice as an aromatic but definitely nice.

What does one look for when buying a pipe? I'm thinking I'll be making a purchase in May and many of those pipe manufacturers you mentioned come up in my price range ($50 or less). My question is more related to size, materials and shape. Of course there is always a personal side to selection and preference but what should one look for?

What does one look for when buying a pipe?

I'm hardly the expert, but based on listening to a bunch of podcasts on this subject, the best I can tell it is a based on how good the wood work is (will the joints hold) and if the hole drilled centered at the base of the bowl. The rest is often subjective aesthetics. You can get a $50 that smokes great. For your first pipe I'd recommend a corn cob pipe. I torched the hell out of my first one while I was still figuring out how to pack and light it. $100 gets you a really food factory pipe (Irish, Danish or Italian). You can also get potentially really good estate pipes in that range that would normally cost a whole lot more if you had bought it new. Check out pipes and cigars . Com for lots of options. But don't over think it. You'll either like it and end up with a bunch more pipes, or just stick with cigars.

Edit: fixed a typo. There are likely more...

Last edited:
I have several pipes and a "cellar" in one of my sock drawers. The collection ended eating up the entire drawer though. I smoke cigars about 75% of the time, but I love smoking a pipe in the winter. You can load up half a bowl and be done in 20 minutes.