• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hey Computer Geeks!!!

Big Worm

Commander Worm of the Southern Alliance
Just a pun fellers, but can anyone tell me why my Galddang computer clock keeps losing time...sometimes drastically?? Usually I'll lose 5-20 minutes a week!! :0 I run a Dell P3 1ghz on Windows Me. Y'all prolly need more info. so LMK whatcha need and what I need to do!!! I've heard rumors that it means ya' mother fruckin mother board is going down...but WTF do I know about computers?...nutin'!!! :sign: :D :)

Thanks bruddahs!

BW

Do you leave your machine on all the time or is it on and off? If the latter, could be the battery on your mobo. The real-time clocks on computers are notoriously inaccurate even in the best of times so it could be one that was just really, really bad.

There is a comm. protocol called NTP (network time protocol) that will update your clock automagically. To use it you'll have to find a program called an NTP client and you'll have to configure the client to get the time from an NTP server that is nearby in internet space (not meatspace). Don't know exactly where to tell you to go to get such a thing....maybe search tucows for it. Of course it only works when your computer is on and connected to the internet. It's easy to configure, so don't be put off by this, thinking that it's too difficult. Here is a list of public NTP servers.

BW, do you burn cd's? I've had a number of machines lose time when burning a cd..I've not looked into the reasoning, but it's no biggie if that's the case. FT's NTP will do the trick on fixing it though.

BW, listen to the good Father :p

That's all I can suggest too. Could also mean that the battery on the mobo is dying out, but seeing how it's sounds like a newer PC, that shouldn't be the case. I'd just go to cnet, or download.com and do a search for the time jammy, install it, and make time normal again.

Horse, if your PC's are losing time over buring a cd, try closing out everything except Toast or whatever you're using to burn. Burning proggies hog a lot of the processor, so it might interfere with everything else.

Oh and BW, it could mean you've found a rift in time.

:lookup:

BW,

I also have a Dell and have the same problem. Are you running Norton Anti-Virus? If so, there's your problem. You'll need to uninstall it and run another type of antivirus software.

I'm done with buying brand name computers. I'm building myself one in a couple months. Anyways, call Dell and tell them your problem. They'll give you the run around. But I'm sure your problem is the same as mine -- windows and norton clash.

Let me know what happens,
Rod

Windows and everything clash

Rod, whatcha gonna build?

check these:
mcglen.com
googlegear.com
accubyte.com/

great parts places I've used for clients

:)