• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

High Humidity

Snowdust

SnowNYet
I recently set up my new Savoy box. It is the medium size in their line. But now I can't keep the humidity below the mid to high 70's.

Here is what have done so far.

Wiped down the inside with a damp sponge. I know what water and wood do, so the sponge was only damp. Just enough to change the color of the wood. It actually returned to the dry color after about 5 min.

Filled large rectangle humidifier with distilled water andshut.

Next day, put a few cigars that I had in my humibag.

Humidity started to rise and has stayed high. Have salt calibrated my analog to 75 and then tested it in the house with a home digital and they matched. Down to about 43. Now the digital in the box shows 78 and the analog 75. Have retested together outside the box and they match. For what ever reason the analog does'nt stay even at higher humidity, but I trust the digital sender in the box.

Took out the humidfier for a day and was able to add 1 bottle of One Shot 50/50.

Put back in and back to 78/79

Took out the humidifier yesterday, and 24 hours later, it is still at 74.

Love the seal of the box, want 65-68.

Since I only have 6 in the box, (don't laugh), will filling up with 25 more solve my problem?

You probably wont get below %70 with PG. It can be done, just trial and error. To be precise you need to take notes on trends. Not worth the hassle. Just buy Verns %65 beads and go from there.
Unless your cigars are pretty dry, they won't absorb the excess moisture. If they do, they will probably split. Keeping a full humi helps keep the swings from being large, and the recovery quick.

Emo

Have read up on the beads. Do you use them in place of the humidifier? How many for a med box? 1/4 lb?

Did you completely fill the humidifier? You don't want to saturate it or it will not absorb the exess moisture for the humidor.

Nicko

Yes. But it is still out of the box so it will start to dry out now. Will keep it out until level drops. Do you know if digital needs calibration or are the factory accurate. Still baffled why the two match at normal levels but not at higher levels.

BTW, nice boat pic's on your home page! Love the water too.

Hey Snow...

You don't want to completely saturate the humidifier. If you do, it won't be able to absorb the excess moisture.

For the hygrometer, you will want to do the salt test (Instructions) and figure out how far off it is. Once you know that, you can make a mental adjustment. If it's way off then you may want to replace the unit. I have one that is 2% off and the other that is 4%.

I love the water too. I spend most of my summer on the lake waterskiing or wakeboarding. Then sit on the shoreline and smoke a good cigar. :p

Regarding the humidifier, that makes sense now. Although the intructructions said to fill it untill it overflowed, then turn upside down to catch any drips.

I have had it in and out over the past week and things seem to start getting better. Running 72-74. Much better than the 78 I was getting. I was scared of drying everthing out so I followed all directions. I see that once you learn your box you are able to understand what to do. My box seals great and can hold for a couple of day without a humidifier.

Live and learn.

I would suggest re-calibrating your hygrometer with the salt test. make sure it's accurate. Then buy some more cigars. It'll be hard to keep the humidity stable with a near empty humidor.

Same thing happened to me when I set up my 300. It came with 2 big rectangle humidifiers. I oversaturated them and over cured the box. Had to take one of the humidifiers out and I left the box open at least 2 hours a day till the level dropped to 68. Humidity in Louisiana is usually in the 60's or 70's anyway. Now I only recharge the humidifier when it gets close to 65

I've filled it up pretty good and things are getting better. Analog shows about 71-72. Allowing for innacurracies, I think I'm there. Last one smoked pretty good.

Geldor...You making fun of my box???? :p :p :p