• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hockey on Versus?

smokintexas

What have I gotton myself into?!
/Rant on

Am I the only one that hates to see that Versus is getting as many games as they are getting? Every time I watch/listen to their broadcast it almost makes me want to turn the volume down and find the game on the radio and just listen to that. IMHO these guys are just about the worst announcers I've heard and only one of 'em (don't know which one) has a clue about hockey. Pair that with their annoying voices and its a disaster!

Rant off/

I think it has just become trendy to complain about Vs. OK go ahead and move the NHL back to ESPN and get the 1 game a week they liked to air.

Also alot of the people on Vs. actually know alot about hockey. Some of the guys are even team annoucers. I know John Forslund the Hurricanes play by play guy is teamed up with the Thrashers color guy from time to time. They are both two of the best in the league!

I agree it's awful. I used to watch hockey when it was on ESPN and the broadcast quality was much better. I've quit watching it since it is on VS. because it's like watching a shaky camera high school game. Get the NHL back on ESPN in HD, and it will probably draw me back in. NHL and ESPN need each other, and I hope when the next contract comes up they can quit being stubborn and reach a deal.

I think it has just become trendy to complain about Vs. OK go ahead and move the NHL back to ESPN and get the 1 game a week they liked to air.

Also alot of the people on Vs. actually know alot about hockey. Some of the guys are even team annoucers. I know John Forslund the Hurricanes play by play guy is teamed up with the Thrashers color guy from time to time. They are both two of the best in the league!

I've actually never seen or heard of anybody complaining about VS, and to be honest I'd be okay with the NHL moving back to ESPN because then I would get the local announcers more often considering I live in Dallas.

A great example of their ineptitude: A few minutes ago one of them said "Climie (Stars backup goalie who was just called up) has been great tonight and its very hard to fault him for any of the three goals tonight." I'm fairly certain that all three of Minnesota's goals tonight came off of huge rebounds. Yes there were definitely defensive breakdowns, but the rebounds came right off of Climie back into the slot. I'm not saying that Climie is a bad goalie, but to say the goals weren't his fault doesn't make much sense. This is just one example of many tonight that have left me scratching my head.

Edit:

After reviewing the goals it appears only two of them were caused by juicy rebounds in the slot and the other goal was due to a pretty slick re-direct from a centering pass.

I think around here (michigan - comcast), the big deal was you HAD to have Vs. to watch some of the games, and in order to have it, you had to pay comcast more money for a special package or something.

Either way I never missed anything I wanted to watch, so it worked out. I could care less about who's announcing the game.

Now the NFL network......don't even get me started about that! :p

Let's call a spade a spade...NO ONE BID A DECENT PRICE FOR THE NHL BROADCAST RIGHTS!....no one wanted them based on their failing ratings. No major network, not ESPN, not TBS, not TNT...NO ONE! Bettman would have given ESPN the rights for free if they would have put them on the air.

That being said, I'm just happy that someone carries some out of market games here in the NY Metro area. As a hockey fan I take what's available to me....and it beats having NOTHING AT ALL! Now that the playoffs are coming, at least I know who-is-who on what team before they drop the puck. Their HD broadcast quality is decent too and the announcers are good, hockey knowledgeable guys.

It's about the game, who gives a sh*t who calls it....this isn't a cricket match you know!

It's about the game, who gives a sh*t who calls it....this isn't a cricket match you know!
I do. It makes a huge difference in your enjoyment of the game. I'm a huge Flyers fan and I live in the south where the sports world revolves around NASCAR and college basketball so I spend the $164.99 a year for NHL center ice on cable each year. I get to see all of the Flyers games and the great thing is I get to experience each teams broadcasting crew. My favorite crew to listen to is Ottawa's. They love calling the game, aren't jaded, and aren't 100% biased towards their home team. The absolute worst in my mind are the two fools that call Buffalo's games. One sounds like an old lady having an orgasm when the Sabres score and the other one does nothing but complain about the officiating. I'm not real big on Denis Potvin of the Florida Panthers either. I understand there will be a loyalty towards the team that you're announcing for, but to whine every two minutes about a call he thinks should have been made against the opposing team is just childish.

So, no Gary, this isn't a cricket match, but as a true fan of the game, it most certainly does matter who's calling it!

Being located in Kentucky, I am just glad the NHL is on at all. When it left ESPN I had no way of watching on a regular basis. I am thankful I can watch, the next step for us locally is to get it in HD and then maybe I will be able to tell what is going on. I am a bit of an HD snob.

I won't comment about the NHL or the bone head comissioner, in fact I don't watch vs either for all the reasons stated here. I have direct tv and pay extra for the NHL Center Ice package..........most of the games are in HD and you get the local announcers for that team. This my second year with this package and I actually got a 15% discount for the second season. Am a Caps fan, but love to watch the Rangers and my Killer Bees.......

So, no Gary, this isn't a cricket match, but as a true fan of the game, it most certainly does matter who's calling it!
To each his own. I guess I watch the game, not listen to it. Having coached the sport, I don't look at it the same way as you.

If you knew the hockey culture in Canada Brian, the people you mentioned would be considered too impartial and run out of the country. Those guys are just a product of the Canadian mindset towards the game (a religion) and not as polished as the US viewers think they should be. The word "unbiased" is not listed in the Canadian dictionary.

Personally, I think those guys are hysterical when you know where they're coming from :laugh:

I do. It makes a huge difference in your enjoyment of the game. I'm a huge Flyers fan and I live in the south where the sports world revolves around NASCAR and college basketball so I spend the $164.99 a year for NHL center ice on cable each year. I get to see all of the Flyers games and the great thing is I get to experience each teams broadcasting crew. My favorite crew to listen to is Ottawa's. They love calling the game, aren't jaded, and aren't 100% biased towards their home team. The absolute worst in my mind are the two fools that call Buffalo's games. One sounds like an old lady having an orgasm when the Sabres score and the other one does nothing but complain about the officiating. I'm not real big on Denis Potvin of the Florida Panthers either. I understand there will be a loyalty towards the team that you're announcing for, but to whine every two minutes about a call he thinks should have been made against the opposing team is just childish.

WOW! Paying to watch hockey on TV would be like paying to get teabagged :D

You pay to get teabagged Jeff?? Damn, there's gonna be a lot of happy campers on the next camping herf Bro! :laugh:

You pay to get teabagged Jeff?? Damn, there's gonna be a lot of happy campers on the next camping herf Bro! :laugh:

DICK!

DICK!

:sign: :sign: :sign: :sign:

He said that he thought it would be as PAYING to get teabagged, which, one can assume, means that he just doesn't pay to get teabagged! :sign: :sign: :sign: