• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Homemade Humidors

DraKhen99

Hi all...

I'm new to smoking, but have always been a do-it-yourselfer when it comes to my hobbies.

Is there any way a person can make a good humidor by themselves, using widely available materials?

I was thinking I could build one with foam from an art supply store to separate cigars, plastic sheet for the sides and top, with a rubber seal and space for a hydrometer and a "hydrating device" [ie, the sponge or whatever is in humidors I see]. What do you all think? Am I nuts?

Yeah, but couldn't I build a nice active system using sheet plastic? I think it would be cheaper than cutting up an existing cooler. And more spiffy too :)

Why cut up the cooler? Just keep your cigars in boxes and voila!

Well, under 50$ + an hour of your time + maybe 150 smokes room = coolidor.

no cutting up cooler needed. look for other posts about it.

I have a similar question to DraKhen99. I, too, wish to build a home humidor. I want something that looks nice...like a piece of furniture. Anyone have any ideas? See the problem with a coolerdor is that it looks bad to use one as your coffee table! Here in Houston, it gets much to hot to keep the coolerdor in the garage, we don't have basements, and I don't have spare closet space. Therefore, it's going to be a piece of furniture, and I would like it to look as such.

That said, my wife has a cedar (regular, not Spanish) hope chest that I might be able to talk her out of. It looks really nice and would store A LOT of cigars. Can I convert this to use as a humidor? It already has a ridge around the inside of the lid to make it semi-airtight and is very well built. It has stored old newspapers for well over 50 years with very little yellowing, etc. The question is, what can I do to it to keep the non-Spanish cedar from damaging my cigars? Is keeping the cigars in the boxes sufficient? Line the inside with Spanish cedar (or copper, etc)? Or is there no way to convert it without risking damaging the cigars?

If there's no way to convert this one, I wish to build one. I have at my disposal an excellent carpenter who owes me a favor! So, what type of wood is best to use (mahogany maybe?), etc? Thanks for any help in advance!

I would recommend letting your wife Keep the Hope Chest, that aromatic Cedar would permiate anything you lined it with and impart flavors unbecoming to good smokes.

I would replicate it, if you like it alot, and build a new one out of Mahogany, then line the inside of that with 1/4" spanish cedar, creating the seeling lip with the cedar. Then you can put a divider down the center which can double as a place for your Climmax Beads and then build a twin set of pull out trays that rest on the divider, and on trim at the ends.

That is what I would do, if i needed all that space.

Thanks, Puro....that's what I was afraid of. Man, it's a nice chest, too! Would look great as a coffee table in my smoke/game room!

Oh, well...guess I'll have to build that combination liquor rack/bar/humidor I've been dreaming about! :thumbs:

Depending on your budget you can find some table top cabinets on CBid or BudgetHumidor or other sites that will serve well.

I am converting a china cabinet but it was free to me.

As long as the cigars are in boxes, I find a simple plastic bin to be very adequate. There are a few holes in the bottom and handles that I have some duct tape covering. Even though the seal around the top is not as tight as a cooler, if there is some of that flower arranging spongy stuff with water and solution on it, this works just fine, it can be bigger and the largest bins are only a bit over $10 bucks. I have had my cigars in this set up for more than 5 years without trouble.

Has anyone made one out of an empty cigar box? I am sure it would not work with a cheap box but how about with a higher end box (Opus)

not sure. Some of the boxes now come with slots for a credo system. I believe maybe (dom)Montecristo and maybe RyJ. Not sure how sealed they are but they obviously were built with that intention in mind.

Hey ShadMan, and anyone else in Houston, there are a lot of good resale shops down in the Montrose area, lots of them have furniture cheap. It's not always the nicest, but it can be refinished. I've got a coffee table made out of a lobster pot, with a glass top, I'm thinking of making it into a humi.