• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hot damn...

Macion Grey

the Libertine
So a while back, I purchased a corn cob pipe and some Borkum Riff Original to try pipe smoking out. Didn't go so well, so I put it away to try another time.

Well, this is my third attempt, and I have started to move away from annoyance and into pleasure. I like it! Very relaxing.

I'm officially on board.

Good for you. It takes some time to really enjoy the pipe. I'm glad you stuck with it. It only gets better.

Somehow, even though within The Pipe Room, I half expected this thread to be about Green Eggs and Ham...

I should have mentioned that the tobacco itself tasted rather bad, but the experience was relaxing.

Thinking of picking up some Davidoff Royalty... but is that overpriced for the quality that you actually get?

I should have mentioned that the tobacco itself tasted rather bad, but the experience was relaxing.

Thinking of picking up some Davidoff Royalty... but is that overpriced for the quality that you actually get?

Davidoff is high quality tobacco. It is expensive, but it's not overpriced, IMO. RRoyalty is a really good medium English blend.

I'm not familiar with what's available outside of the US, but if you if you can find Gawith Squadron Leader, GL Pease Maltese Falcon, or just about any Stokkebye English blend will likely make you happy as these are pretty flavorful.

I stay away from just about anything that has a fruit or some such flavor unless it comes from Boswell's. There are a few exceptions, not not many. You also may not like Virginia or Burley blends right now. They can get pretty rough on your mouth if you puff on them a bit too much, as most people are prone to do as they start smoking a pipe.

I hope that's helpful.

Good on ya mate.
I have found the Pipe is a great way to relax and enjoy quality tobacco.
Shoot me your addy Macion and I will send you a few some fills of a few different blends.

I'll have to take a rain check on that one mate, as I am moving house in under a month. It is so hard to stop ordering shit online knowing I am moving soon :blush:

Tried Davidoff Royalty last night and absolutely loved it.

Now I must have something STRONGER!

Well, I have been enjoying my new Peterson Standard System 303 as well as my older Cob, and have started exploring the world of non-aromatic tobacco. So far, I have tried Davidoff Royalty, Squadron Leader and Frog Morton on the Town. Squadron Leader is particularly delicious.

Hmmm, but there is a slight bump in the road. The parts of my hand that hold the Peterson are getting stained brown. This doesn't happen with my Cob... and I get the feeling that it is the stain of the pipe coming off as the bowl heats up. Does this go away?

My last Pete did that as well. I just waxed the hell out of it and it seemed to seal it a bit. I don't know if you can get it down there, but Paragon Wax or Renaissance Wax is really easy to work with.

You could also try just giving the pipe a pretty vigorous rub down with a soft cotton cloth. You may be able to buff off enough of the stain that way.

Petes seem to be prone to stain issues. From the stain in the bowl to the stain not curing correctly because of being too heavily stained by dipping, they are seldom "just right". They're generally good smokers, though, and I love the 3 I have.

I'm glad you're enjoying your pipes. :thumbs:

Welcome to a relaxing, enjoyable, and more socially acceptable way to enjoy baccy.

I hope the "socailly acceptable" part didn't ruin it for you. :D Pipes just are. Partly for the better room note and partly because the odor memory is associated with good role models. Now that has to ruin it! :p

I'm really getting the hang of it all now. I can keep a bowl lit without tongue bite with only one or two relights now. The thumb over the rim and a gentle puff really does wonders to get the smoke flowing again.

I'm going to try flake soon/

Once you go flake.... bah, never mind. I am pure failure at flake, I will practice more because Penzance is so damned good.

Once you go flake.... bah, never mind. I am pure failure at flake, I will practice more because Penzance is so damned good.

I rub Penzance out since it is technically a crumble cake and not a flake. I could never get a good pack the 3 or 4 times I tried my preferred flake method of fold and stuff. Rubbed out and fairly loosely packed makes for a delightful bowl of Penzance for me.