• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hot drinks?

XxMerlinxX

I am a leaf on the wind...
We're just starting to feel the beginnings of winter around my parts, which made me start thinking about warmer drinks. I believe I might try my hand at a Hot Toddy and I might also look up a good recipe for Hot Buttered Rum. If you have any good recipes, please share, as I've never tried mixing anything warm.

I've been wanting to try AVB's recipe for a while. I think I'll actually do it this season. It sounds good!

I'll add my recipe from that thread here as well.

*BUMP*

for all the east coasters who were shoveling this morning. I have another recipe I'd like to add to the thread.

Hot Brick

1 tsp butter
1 tsp sugar
3 pinches ground cinnamon
1 jigger (1.5 oz) hot water

Mix these in a small goblet and then add:

1 jigger fine whiskey
Fill glass with steaming hot water, serve hot

I make this with Jameson a lot of cold nights to keep me warm when I'm working at the bar, and it never lets me down. Multiply the ingredients for a longer day off.

The wife found this one. We haven't tried it but it sure looks good.

Brown Russian Hot Chocolate
Recipe from Dan Budd, Taste Budds, Red Hook, New York.

Ingredients

2 ounces fresh, peeled, sliced ginger
2 cinnamon quills
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 whole cloves
1 pinch ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 bay leaves
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
6 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy cream
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
4 tablespoons vodka
cinnamon

4 small mint sprigs for serving
Instructions

In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the sliced ginger, the cinnamon quills, ground cinnamon, whole cloves, ground cloves, nutmeg and bay leaves. Add 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Immediately turn off the heat, cover, and let steep for 8 minutes.

Place the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl and set aside.

Add the chopped mint leaves, honey, sugar, salt, 1/2 cup of the cream, and the milk to the saucepan. Return to medium-low heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon as the mixture comes to a boil. boil for 10 seconds, then immediately strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve onto the chocolate. Whisk slowly until all of the chocolate has melted and is thoroughly incorporated. An immersion blender can be used to smooth the beverage more easily.

In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer, whip the remaining 1/2 cup cream with the confectioner's sugar until it forms very soft peaks. Using a soup spoon, place a generous scoop of whipped cream in the bottom of each of 4 mugs. Add 1 tablespoon vodka on top of the cream. Pour the chocolate into the mugs until the whipped cream rises slightly above the rim. Sift a dash of cinnamon on top and garnish with a sprig of mint. Serve immediately.

Four tablespoons of vodka? Surly you jest.:rolleyes:

Doc.

SoCo Hot Chocolate is pretty delicious.

Add 1.5oz. of Southern Comfort to your standard glass of hot cocoa....mmmmmmm, delicious.

Ray's Hot Buttered Rum went over well last winter. I'll surely be making another batch this year. In my house, it goes a long way though. Wife didn't care for it so I was making them for a couple weeks for myself. Fine by me, though! :D

Lol, I find it a blessing that the other half doesn't care for my fine spirits or smokes. :D

It has a lot to do with a climate you live in. When you are sweating you crave for a cold. If one feels very cold he wants a warm drink. During the winter in cold climate countries such as Poland, Lithuania or Russia it is customary to order a warm beer in a pub.
It often contains honey, sometimes even egg yolk.

People often add a little of 190 proof alcohol known as Spirytus into the tea.

Another spirit which tastes great when hot is Polish honey vodka known as Krupnik. It is rather potent as it contains about 90 proof. A mixture of honey, alcohol and aromatic spices such as vanilla, nutmeg, cloves,
cinnamon and ginger. It tastes wonderful and goes down surprisingly well. Needless to say it warms you up immediately.

Lithuanians liked their honey vodka known as Krupnikas very strong and it was often tested with a match. If it produced blue flame, it was good. Such a drink was probably about 150 proof strong.