• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

how do you classify cigars?

MonkeyK

I hear the terms ISOM, premium, super-premium, dog-rocket all the time.

ISOM is pretty obvious and not ambiguous at all.
dog-rocket is also obvious, although ambiguous.
Oak has used the term "truth", which I like as the opposite of a dog-rocket.

What classifies a cigar as premium or super-premium? Is it a value thing, a reputation thing, a review thing? Are there other general classes?

I just have 2 categories for my cigars...

GOOD and BAD.

ISOMs, domestics, premiums, dog rockets, etc... are all just descriptive terms. :)

OK so what are those descriptive terms then?

Like I said, I get ISOM, domestics, "dog-rocket", and "truth"

What I don't know are "premium" and "super-premium".

MonkeyK said:
I hear the terms ISOM, premium, super-premium, dog-rocket all the time.

ISOM is pretty obvious and not ambiguous at all.
dog-rocket is also obvious, although ambiguous.
Oak has used the term "truth", which I like as the opposite of a dog-rocket.

What classifies a cigar as premium or super-premium? Is it a value thing, a reputation thing, a review thing? Are there other general classes?

Good to see I've entered one member's vernacular - but I prefer "angel poop" now... ;) :D

My conclusion (after asking similar questions and receiving many different answer) was the following:

- Premium/Super-Premium: I believe that these were originally just buzzwords presented by the industry and don't mean much. Some people think of a premium as anything hand-rolled, and a super-premium as anything that's good and cost about 8-10 bucks or more. These words seem to be stabilizing in terms of definition, but the cigar magazines seem to assign them based on the marketing budget of the vendor, not the price or the quality. I avoid these words completely.

One serious tip for you: If you are ever participating in a pass, trade, lotto, or anything else where the criteria is to trade/submit "premiums" or "super-premiums" - I'd recommend you ask for more clarity as to what that means from the participant(s) or err well on the side of caution (or, IMO, both).

People often don't want to assign a dollar amount to sticks in some passes/trades/lottos/etc, but like to guide these things with descriptive terms like "high-end" or "something you'd save for a special occassion". This works fine when everyone is in the same league or knows each other well, but is also just setting newbie's up for failure.

Cheers,

- Oak

Like oak said, "super premium," "premium," etc are all buzzwords. Be very careful what you classify as which because not everyone's definition is the same. I spent some time a while ago putting together a master list as a rule of thumb for people to refer to. That way, no descrepancy exists. No matter what though, there will always be exceptions to the rule.

Take the ever so hotly debated Hemingway Short Story. Some would consider it premium because it's part of the Hemingway line. But... for those who classify based on a separate criteria (namely price), the Short Story falls well short (about $4-5 a stick). That puts it down in the mid-range classifcation. If you're playing in a premium pass... it would probably be safe to say that a Short Story would not cover any single stick. Again, the host my think otherwise.

I really don't like these classifcations myself. Price isn't always consistant because of the different state-wide tobacco taxes. Some people are just stuck buying from lousy sources. And the subjective classification is far too lenient one way or the other.

Of course, everything I said makes it clear as mud... I know. But isn't that what it's all about? :)

My classifications are:

Too Good to Smoke in Public - Excellent - Average - Ordinary - Dog Rocket

:D

I basically divide my smokes up as:

Premiums -- something I love, to enjoy on special occasions/days
Favorites -- go-to smokes that I'd enjoy smoking any time
Average smokes -- wouldn't go out of my way to smoke or buy them, but they are okay in a pinch
Dog rockets -- stuff I wouldn't smoke more than once if you paid me

How are those dog rockets coming anyway Moki? I haven't seen any reviews since your famous El Credito review...

MonkeyK said:
How are those dog rockets coming anyway Moki? I haven't seen any reviews since your famous El Credito review...
I'm workin' on it! heh

Price... there are super-premium, premium and not so premium, "ISOM"s or Havanas as they should be called and there are the same categories in the cigars from all the other places.

Matt,
At what point/range do you divide super-premium, premium, and not so premium? (I understand that actual prices vary due to varying taxes and availability.)

Yeah moki, what about them doggies. :p

Trying not to ruin you palate for the good stuff by smoking too many turds? :0

Matt R said:
"ISOM"s or Havanas as they should be called and there are the same categories in the cigars from all the other places.
I don't distinguish between ISOMs and domestics in my categorization -- I've had smokes from Cuba that fit into each one of my classifications (premiums, favorites, average, dog rocket)

moki said:
Matt R said:
"ISOM"s or Havanas as they should be called and there are the same categories in the cigars from all the other places.
I don't distinguish between ISOMs and domestics in my categorization -- I've had smokes from Cuba that fit into each one of my classifications (premiums, favorites, average, dog rocket)
My point exactly.....

My classification is fairly simple.... it's a two tier system. Here it is...

1) I'd smoke them
2) Dog Rockets (comprised of 80%+ of the cigars out on the market currently)

Yeah... I'm a snob but I like it that way! Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

Aloha,

Wade

High-end: Those cigars so rare and expensive I hardly ever come across them in my collection. Especialdad II, Unreleased Opus, ect.

High-shelf/super premiums: Those cigars you typically pay $10-$20 for and may or may not be hard to come by. Most Opus X, Siglo VI, Padron Anny's, ect.

Mid-shelf/premiums: Those cigars you typically pay $4-$8 for and are considered "good" sticks. Hemingway Short Story, ect.

Everyday smokes/go-to cigars: Those cigars that cost $2-$5 typically and are not considered premium brands, but I will smoke. Very few in this catergory for me - as a matter of fact only 5 come to mind.

Dog Rockets: Cigars I just won't touch, which are many LOL.

Sam