• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

how do you lite your cigar?

Leemahn

I hold my cigar in one hand and lite it with the other rather than drawing on it. Someone posted that that is the way to lite a cigar because otherwise when you draw the the lite into the end by sucking on it supposedly it contaminates the whole cigar with whatever you are using to lite it. Problem is when I hold it in one hand and lite it with another it takes a long time to get the end fired enough to stay lit. maybe there is a lighter that has an intense flame that lights it better than a match or cheap lighter. Any ideas?

I hold my cigar in one hand and lite it with the other rather than drawing on it. Someone posted that that is the way to lite a cigar because otherwise when you draw the the lite into the end by sucking on it supposedly it contaminates the whole cigar with whatever you are using to lite it. Problem is when I hold it in one hand and lite it with another it takes a long time to get the end fired enough to stay lit. maybe there is a lighter that has an intense flame that lights it better than a match or cheap lighter. Any ideas?

I light my cigar in the same fashion. Any decent torch lighter will work well for getting it lit, but it still takes a little time. Also every so often, stop torching the foot and blow on it to get the embers going.

Trying not to overheat the tobacco is important to me. A good soft flame lighter, or matches, are my favorite method. Light toasting, and if needed, gentle puffing.

I light my cigar in the same fashion. Any decent torch lighter will work well for getting it lit, but it still takes a little time. Also every so often, stop torching the foot and blow on it to get the embers going.

I've recently adopted this method as well. Sometimes it does take a little longer to accomplish. Use a decent torch lighter as 'Sneedy advises and be patient.

1) Cut the cigar.
2) Evenly torch the foot.
3) Blow through the cigar.
4) Puff on cigar above the flame, causing the flame to jump up.
5) Blow on embers.
6) ???
7) Profit!

As a newbie, matches have been nothing but trouble for me. But on the other hand, I've only used crappy matches.

Toast the foot until it gets a nice red glow, blowing on it to help it.

Once it's just about lit on it's own, I'll do a few pulls to finish off the light.

The point being, most of the light is done without drawing on the cigar.

1) Cut the cigar.
5) Blow on embers.
6) ???
7) Profit!

As a newbie, matches have been nothing but trouble for me. But on the other hand, I've only used crappy matches.

This is how I do it also.

1) Cut the cigar.
5) Blow on embers.
6) ???
7) Profit!

Try to get some long-stemmed matches. I can toast the foot thoroughly and light the cigar evenly all on one match.

Matches are GREAT, unless you are forced to smoke outside in a windy localle. My current location is really windy...

I always got strange looks when I toasted the end from the folks around where I live (Panhandle of FL), so I was starting to get a complex. Glad to hear I'm not "doing it wrong".

wrong5.jpg

I don't lite my cigar, I light it. :sign:

Actually, I do the Brickhouse method as well, making sure the torch flame never really touches the foot, just the heat.

If you search that on youtube you will find a lot of videos. Sorry too lazy to search for you.

I use a Colibri torch. I hold the cigar horizontally, I hold the lighter at about a 45 degree angle and rotated the cigar. Once the smoke start to curl, I give a few quick draws. I then look and if there is a little red glow I blow on the foot to help it out.

I know it takes time, but lighting my cigar is a lot of fun for me.

-Gianni-

Toast the foot until it gets a nice red glow, blowing on it to help it.

Once it's just about lit on it's own, I'll do a few pulls to finish off the light.

The point being, most of the light is done without drawing on the cigar.

This is how I do it as well.

flint-steel.jpg

Anything else will taint the taste of your cigar and contribute to climate change.
Doc.

I know I'm just noob as far as everyone here is concerned, but in the last year I have really become accustomed to using cedar sticks pulled from open cigar boxes to light my cigars. Using another match, torch or a simple cigarette lighter to light the cedar stick I then slowly rotate my cigar while holding it horizontally letting the very top of the cedar stick flame dance on the edges of the cigar. Once the entire edge of the cigar has been toasted and it has started to glow a nice cherry red a gentle pull while still just using the very tip of the flame will help finish off the task. I find this method of lighting my cigars to be very relaxing and gives the smoke a nearly perfect light every time. Unfortunately, like others have stated, if you are in a windy environment this will not do and a torch is in your best interest. The most important part of lighting a cigar to me is to take your time and enjoy it. Cutting, prepping and lighting a cigar are some of the finer points and are all still small building blocks to enjoying a fine cigar. Which ever method you choose...happy smoking!!

Mike

flint-steel.jpg

Anything else will taint the taste of your cigar and contribute to climate change.
Doc.

Doc you snarky sonofabitch, you made me roar with laughter. Many thanks as I figure each belly laugh expels unused oxygen from my lungs back into the atmosphere which helps even out the damage I do lighting cigars with a butane torch.

- Tim

??? y you are supposed to light them... ???

When the hell did this start :angry:

But really, I use a triple torch, toast the foot, then hire a prostitute to blow it. I know what you guys are thinking...my wife would be cheaper then a streetwalker, but every married man here knows this is just not the case.

Tim

This is becoming very reminiscent of those Reese's Peanut Butter Cups commercials...

I generally clip it, torch the foot till it glows and then puff away. I've read of a few different methods, though. One is to not clip the cigar, toast the foot nice and slow until you get it burning good and then clip it and smoke. Another is to torch a ring around the outside, get it glowing, and let your draws light the middle slowly.