• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How do you taste complex flavors in cigars?

Toaster

Puff Puff Pass v2.0 2004
This is a really stupid question, but I have to ask it.

If you read my profile, or if you've read some of my posts, you'll see I don't have a very sophisticated palette, and don't taste subtle flavors. When I smoke cigars, I taste a few things, but I never get this "hint of coffee" or "the aftertaste was very nutty, like roasted almonds" or whatever....

Do you guys taste these things? ??? and if you do, how can I develope my tastebuds or realize I am tasting these things?? When I smoke, I taste spicey or not spicey. I can taste woody flavors (which I don't particularly like), or tangy tobacco (which I do like).

So my main question is, if these subtle flavors are present in the cigars I smoke, how I can taste them too? :thumbs:

Toaster

If I want to taste the subtle flavors of a cigar I let the smoke slowly roll out of my mouth without blowing it out. It seems the taste buds on the rear of my tounge pick up the flavors I miss when I blow the smoke out normally. Also I like to blow the smoke out my nose sometimes. This also helps me to pick out flavors I might miss.

The most important thing is to just sit back and do nothing but focus on the cigar's tastes as you smoke it. Don't try to read, play poker, or do much of anything else if you want to really taste the subtle flavors of a cigar. Even then, the flavors are usually just hinting at the flavors mentioned in reviews, they don't literally taste *like* coffee, but rather reminds you a bit of some part of the experience of drinking a cup.

The other thing is that not everyone is *able* to taste the same thing in cigars, or food, wine, etc. for that matter.

It has been my experience that 2 people can grab side by side smokes from the same original box, and taste different things in the cigars. It truly is an individual thing. That being said, there are flavors that stand out, such as Pepper, Spice and Citrus for instance, and if I taste it, you likely will as well. But subtle stuff varies from one smoker to the next.

The advice from Sarge there is good advice, I do the same things, especially the nose exhale, that one really brings out some flavor.

It will also depend on what you have eaten, what you have been drinking, what you may be drinking with the cigar. It will also frequently be dependant upon the mood you are in at the time you light up.

In my reviews I like to try and set the scene so readers can determine what part of the overall picture might have tempered my tastes. I am in no way even close to a Sophisticated Palate, but i aspire to possess one some day :p

I agree that a smoke that rolls out of your mouth is much different. Seems like a cigar on a windy golf course is never as good, even if it is one of my favorites. I think another reason for this is that you lose your sense of smell on a windy day, and the smell sense imparts a taste difference. Prior food plays a big part in taste just like wine. Having eaten very salty or sweet food first will always make a wine different, and I'm sure a good smoke as well.

Toaster said:
how can I develope my tastebuds or realize I am tasting these things?
While I agree with the other posts...no one answered this part of your question....so I will try.LOL

Developing your palette doesn't start with the cigar, nor does it end with the cigar. You've been developing your palette for years...probably didn't even know it...or even looked at it as that. Everytime you eat something or drink something you are experiencing flavors and textures(obviously), but are you paying attention? You can only experience a foreign flavor if you can reference it....and I don't mean exactly, I mean the presence or the similarity of that flavor. You need to start educating yourself on flavors...anything and everything....pay attention to the cup o' coffee you drink, the roasted almonds you eat and everything in between. The more you pay attention while away from the cigar...the more you'll notice while with the cigar. It's that simple...just pay attention. :)

I think in the finding the subtle flavors respect I am helped by the fact that I have collected wine for many years. The flavors are just that...subtle :p
and as for how can you taste these flavors? you already are, we all are, as beast said, its paying attention that counts.

PaulMac

It's a weird thing this tasting stuff in cigars. I can do it. I'm not sure why.

Moki probably has a heightened sense of taste over mine though. We'll have similar experiences w/ the same smoke...but he'll get more flavor than me. I thought this might have just been due to no two cigars being exactly the same, but we've smoked enough of the same things now that I know that's not the case.

Part of what makes cigar smoke unique is that you do the majority of tasting w/ your mouth, as opposed to using your nose. At least I do. I tried sniffing from the wrong end once and didn't enjoy the experience :) Anyway, my point is that when not using your nose it's hard to get a lot of flavor from something. Example: Grab an Imperial Stout sometime, plug your nose, and take a sip. Not much happening there. Now try it w/ out a plugged nose. Yowza!

Sometimes I'm at a loss for words and the darn things just taste like tobacco.

toaster, let me answer your question in a very simple way.

Smoking a cigar using only the taste buds in your mouth = AM MONO through a small transistor radio.

Smoking a cigar and releasing smoke slowly through your nose (sinus cavity) without inhaling of course = 5.1 DIGITAL STEREO with sub-woofer.

Simple as that.

:p :D

I've tried releasing the smoke through my nose- and let me tell you, the burn is incredible :p

I love the home theater reference. :p

Since I've been on the Atkins diet, I've noticed I taste alot more flavor, but still none of the subtle flavors which is what I want to try and develope if possible.

I smoked a CAO Extreme the other day, and I'd swear the wrapper was dipped, fermented and covered in Chocolate. I have never gotten that much of a single flavor from any cigar before- IT WAS COOL! :D

Keep the suggestions coming- I'm reading them all! :) Thanks :thumbs: