• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How high does the RH go when you first start to season a humidor?

SkyStorm82

When you first start to season a new humidor....does the RH start out high and then level off towards the end of the 2nd week?

I just received my humidor yesterday and checked last night and again just now. The RH is holding steady at about 83%. I did calibrate the hydrometer...it was 2% off on the salt test so I adjusted it before putting it in the humidor.

I have a small dish with distilled water sitting in the bottom of the humidor. Attached to the lid is 2 of the large rectangle beads from Viper....the humidifiers that came with it, I wet and put in the bottom next to the dish. Overkill?

Another thread that could have been solved by using the SEARCH feature..

Oh and have I mentioned that it's NEW and IMPROVED !!!

I considered it rude that it was implied that I didn't search first....and that I'm just wasting the time of the members here. I meant no more offense to your friend than was given to me.

Forgive me grandmaster....my search-fu is not strong. :rolleyes:

Lemme give ya one piece of advice before you did yourself a hole that you cannot get out of.

READ MORE POST LESS

I am not a grandmaster, there is only one here, and he will ban your ass if you so choose to follow down this slipperly slope your on. Sarcasm is not appreciated nor tolerated here

I considered it rude that it was implied that I didn't search first....and that I'm just wasting the time of the members here. I meant no more offense to your friend than was given to me.

He wasn't being rude to you, just honest. There have been a lot of people joining over the past few weeks that are asking the same questions over and over again. I understand you asking a question and looking for some guidance from members, but after pointless (by which I mean, you could have found your answer quickly in a search) threads popping up each day, it gets tiresome to answer the same thing every time.

Anyone need some ?

popcorn_100000.jpg

When you first start to season a new humidor....does the RH start out high and then level off towards the end of the 2nd week?

I just received my humidor yesterday and checked last night and again just now. The RH is holding steady at about 83%. I did calibrate the hydrometer...it was 2% off on the salt test so I adjusted it before putting it in the humidor.

I have a small dish with distilled water sitting in the bottom of the humidor. Attached to the lid is 2 of the large rectangle beads from Viper....the humidifiers that came with it, I wet and put in the bottom next to the dish. Overkill?

* sigh *

Remove the floral foam / sponge humidifier - stick with the Viper beads.

If you have wet the Viper beads, remove the extra dish of H20 for now.

Give it a few days to settle - stop checking every 4 hours.

Lose the reactionary statements and realize some here get grumpy from hearing the same questions over and over and over again... The forum's older threads have a wealth of information - learn to take advantage of the resources already here.

Here are the cliffnotes for what I originally had typed up:

1) People who have been here longer than you (skystorm) care about the content of this board
2) Numerous topics have been bumped TODAY to illustrate the value of searching rather than capriciously making new topics.
3) Read more and post less is sound advice if you want your stay here (however long or short) to be pleasant. You haven't earned any right to make snarky smartass replies to members of the board regardless of whether you feel justified.

Lemme give ya one piece of advice before you did yourself a hole that you cannot get out of.

READ MORE POST LESS

I am not a grandmaster, there is only one here, and he will ban your ass if you so choose to follow down this slipperly slope your on. Sarcasm is not appreciated nor tolerated here

Ok...I apologize for my comment. I made it because posts telling those to search have always been a pet peeve of mine...that's all. I'm new here, but I'm on several other boards that aren't cigar related....so I'm not new to the "idea" of internet forums.

Jonesy I understand what you mean...I really do. I know a lot about the subject on the the other boards I'm on... and new people ask questions sometimes that are pretty common.

If you look at one of my earlier posts you'll see that I did a lot of research here and elsewhere before getting my humidor setup. Now that I have it...the high RH thing occurred and it wasn't something I was expecting. I've tried searching but I'm coming up with nothing.

Again, I'm sorry to offend you all.

Oh for crying out loud......

Sky, take the distilled water out. The only thing you need in there are the beads at this point. Leave the lid open for 10 minutes and then close it up and allow the beads to do their thing. Recheck the humidity in 24 hours. (DO NOT CHECK IT BEFORE - LEAVE THE LID CLOSED) If the humidity is still high you will need tio dry the beads out some as they are most likely over saturated.

If you need any additional help PM me.

Oh for crying out loud......

Sky, take the distilled water out. The only thing you need in there are the beads at this point. Leave the lid open for 10 minutes and then close it up and allow the beads to do their thing. Recheck the humidity in 24 hours. (DO NOT CHECK IT BEFORE - LEAVE THE LID CLOSED) If the humidity is still high you will need tio dry the beads out some as they are most likely over saturated.

If you need any additional help PM me.

Thanks a bunch! :D

READ MORE POST LESS

Ok...I apologize for my comment. I made it because posts telling those to search have always been a pet peeve of mine...that's all. I'm new here, but I'm on several other boards that aren't cigar related....so I'm not new to the "idea" of internet forums.

Jonesy I understand what you mean...I really do. I know a lot about the subject on the the other boards I'm on... and new people ask questions sometimes that are pretty common.

If you look at one of my earlier posts you'll see that I did a lot of research here and elsewhere before getting my humidor setup. Now that I have it...the high RH thing occurred and it wasn't something I was expecting. I've tried searching but I'm coming up with nothing.

Again, I'm sorry to offend you all.

i'm new here myself as you can see by the register date...

but i do know one thing from my short time being here...DO NOT PISS THESE GUYS OFF....they are very comfortable with how things are run here...comments like the above are not appreciated....this isn't like any other 'forum' that you're used to...the phrase 'read more and post less' never applied more....i had the same question when i first started about my humidor....all i did was use that handy dandy search feature and my question was answered....easy as that....

i'm in no way biting your head off because i'm not in the place to....i'm simply giving advice from what i've read and seen....and since i follow 'read more post less' i've read a lot of threads here

READ MORE POST LESS

Oh, crap...I guess there's about 30-40 people that need the boot then! :whistling: :laugh:

I'm amazed at how well the google thing works. It's also a lot faster than the old search. It's a great new tool for the board.