• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

how important is the wood?

other1

Cigarpassaholic. Mmm.. cigarpassahol.
I'm in desperate need of more storage space. I already built a small cooledor but it is nearly full now and i've got more cigars on the way. I'm planning to build a medium sized cooledor (say 50qt.. Don't have room at the moment for a big ass 100+qt cooler).

How important is it to line the coller with wood? And what sort of wood should I use. I live in manhattan, and I don't have a car, so going to the lumber yard for sheets of spanish cedar isn't really an option. Can I just break up some cigar boxes and put pieces in. For that matter, if I'm just storing boxes in the cooler are the boxes themselves good enough for providing the cedar?

Thanks,
-Jason

Jason -

The boxes themselves will be fine. No need to purchase any additional spanish cedar

Excellent. I think you know what boxes I have in mind. :sneaky:

With some of these varnished boxes, will the appropriate amount of humidity make it in? Although the cooler's internal RH is correct, how about the inside of each box?

If the RH of the cooler is correct then the boxes will eventually match. They aren't airtight like a plastic bag.

Actually, the varnished ones are preferable for long term aging. The swings in RH when you open and shut the cooler won't be noticed inside varnished boxes.

Emo