• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How is a Cigar Caddy for long-time storage?

torhaa

I'm looking for an inexpensive and small humidor, and the Cigar Caddy caught my interest. However, it's marketed as a travel humidor, so what is your words on it for long-time storage? I'm thinking of using a Heartfelt Beads Humidity Tube with it, and I could perhaps fit in a hygrometer in there too. But what do you guys think of the idea?

They work great...but they're small. But if you only need room for 10 smokes or whatever, they'll do the job just fine.

I had a 30 and a 50 count in Iraq that I used for a year, great protection and seal.

I'm looking for an inexpensive and small humidor, and the Cigar Caddy caught my interest. However, it's marketed as a travel humidor, so what is your words on it for long-time storage? I'm thinking of using a Heartfelt Beads Humidity Tube with it, and I could perhaps fit in a hygrometer in there too. But what do you guys think of the idea?

It's great especially if it has the 'o-ring' seal.

I put humipaks in mine and it holds just fine.

Yep I agree with Grateful!

I just take the foam up and put the humipack under it. It works for long periods too. Just replace the humipack!

I just got a 30ct for $39. If you take out the inserts,it could hold alot more than 30 sticks.

As said above, I use the Boveda humipacks when storing in my caddy. It works just fine.

Brickhouse, I plan on going in september and I was wondering what would work out there. Was it a Caddy or just a regular humidor?

I've had several and they are ok for storage if they have the o-ring seal. But for a serious travel humidor, you are better off with a Armored Humidor. May as well do it right the first time. I know it can hold humidity for a solid 2 months without a worry in the world. Now if they made a 200 stick travel humidor, I would get it in a heart beat. :laugh:

If you get the higher count ones, it would work great, but if you really are looking for an inexpensive, small humidor why not just build a coolerdor? After being here for a month, my 125ct is already packed solid and I'm now sliding down the slippery slope towards a coolerdor or vinotemp. It gets too easy to fill these things! Plus, for twenty bucks you can pick up a small cooler at Walmart, a digital hygro, and some beads, and bam, good to go! When that cooler gets too small, you buy a bigger one, and instead of having a spare humidor laying around, you have a cooler you can use for the beach or parties.

Actually, after looking at the 50 count travel one, for the money you spend on that you can set up a coolerdor and order a five pack on cigarbid. Go with the coolerdor.

Oh, and you might want to go introduce yourself HERE.

Getting a travel is a good idea, they do seal well for long periods of time. Get the largest you can affford believe me you won't regret it in the future, I have bought 4-5 in larger sizes over the last few years. Plus if you really wnat to support a great site and a great admin get it Here.

I've had several and they are ok for storage if they have the o-ring seal. But for a serious travel humidor, you are better off with a Armored Humidor. May as well do it right the first time. I know it can hold humidity for a solid 2 months without a worry in the world. Now if they made a 200 stick travel humidor, I would get it in a heart beat. :laugh:

Every real Cigar Caddy brand travel humidor has the o-ring seal. There are knockoffs that dont, but if you have a real Cigar Caddy, it has the seal.

Rather than beads, I use humidity sheets in my cigar caddy since they take up less space, hold humidity equally well, and can be recharged. They also can be purchased at Heartfelt.

Rather than beads, I use humidity sheets in my cigar caddy since they take up less space, hold humidity equally well, and can be recharged. They also can be purchased at Heartfelt.

I used the Arturo Fuente humipaks when I get a box in my Armored Humidor. I got the $70 one which has a auto release for pressure. It was the best $70 I ever spent. Like I said...I had the Cigar Caddy and it doesn't even hold a candle to my Armored Humidor. I mean if I was holding cheap cigars like Acids, then I would use the Caddy. But when you want to be on a trip for 1 year, the Caddy isn't the best travel humidor.

Are these just Pelican Cases.....

If so, I got one that will hold about 15 boxes.....

Tim

I used the Arturo Fuente humipaks when I get a box in my Armored Humidor. I got the $70 one which has a auto release for pressure. It was the best $70 I ever spent. Like I said...I had the Cigar Caddy and it doesn't even hold a candle to my Armored Humidor. I mean if I was holding cheap cigars like Acids, then I would use the Caddy. But when you want to be on a trip for 1 year, the Caddy isn't the best travel humidor.
True. I was actually using the generic term "cigar caddy" to refer to my Pelican case, which does indeed have a MUCH better seal than the cigar caddies made by Xikar and the like, and would be a better option for long-term storage. The Pelican I have is an SLR camera sized one customized with 5 foam trays that will hold about 40-50 sticks, depending on size.

I have a 15ct that I keep full so it's ready to go, inside my wine cooler, with it's own mini tube [homemade] of Viper beads and it holds just fine.

True. I was actually using the generic term "cigar caddy" to refer to my Pelican case, which does indeed have a MUCH better seal than the cigar caddies made by Xikar and the like, and would be a better option for long-term storage. The Pelican I have is an SLR camera sized one customized with 5 foam trays that will hold about 40-50 sticks, depending on size.

Cigar Caddy is a brand that is manufactured by Otterbox. Cigar Caddies made by Xikar are not Cigar Caddies. They are made by another manufacturer, and in simple terms are a knockoff of the original Cigar Caddy.

Are these just Pelican Cases.....

If so, I got one that will hold about 15 boxes.....

Tim
The Armored Humidors look identical to Pelican cases, and use the same numbering system as Pelicans. I already had a Pelican 1200 and sheets from Heartfelt, so I picked up some foam trays from Ron (ronc above) to make a herf humi.

Cigar Caddy is a brand that is manufactured by Otterbox. Cigar Caddies made by Xikar are not Cigar Caddies. They are made by another manufacturer, and in simple terms are a knockoff of the original Cigar Caddy.
Thanks for the clarification. They all pretty much look the same to me, though, so I just use the generic term cigar caddy. :laugh: