• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How long do I leave hygrometer in salt test?

FireFighter 227

I have been reading different ideas when it comes to how long you should leave a hygrometer in with the salt test. The post here suggests 4 hours, while others I have read have said 8-12 hours. I have done both and have come up with different results. The last test I did was a cap full for 4 hours. This is with the little white $7 temp/hygrometer from walmart.

During this test, I used a cap with 3/4 full of salt. I added water then soaked up all the extra water at the top with a paper towel.

30m - 71% / 68*
1hr15min - 73% / 67*
1hr45min - 73% / 67*
2hr - 74% / 67*
2hr15min 75% / 68*
3hr - 74% / 68*
3hr15min 74% / 68*
4hr - 73% / 68%

This is with another post, which suggested 1/2 cup salt and 1/4 cup water and 8-12 hours.

30min - 74%
1hr - 77%
1hr12m - 76%
1hr30m - 75%
2hr - 75%
2hr30m - 75%
9hr45mn - 72%

Unless you are in a big hurry to get the hygro in your humidor, I would honestly let the test run for 24 hours.

Everyone can chime in a correct me If I am wrong, but shouldnt the salt test be around 75%? From my understanding everything looks good. You have a fairly good reading. I would just take the average of those readings and calibrate it to the average. Salt test is not going to be as accurate as an Humipak. If it stays within 73%-76%, which your data shows. You should be looking good, just adjust your Hygrometer base on the average you calculate from the data you collected.

David

Everyone can chime in a correct me If I am wrong, but shouldnt the salt test be around 75%? From my understanding everything looks good. You have a fairly good reading. I would just take the average of those readings and calibrate it to the average. Salt test is not going to be as accurate as an Humipak. If it stays within 73%-76%, which your data shows. You should be looking good, just adjust your Hygrometer base on the average you calculate from the data you collected.

David

I may try the humipak. Those are the 3.99/bag items, correct? I assume these are best used in an environment such as a tubeware box?

David

I may try the humipak. Those are the 3.99/bag items, correct? I assume these are best used in an environment such as a tubeware box?

Highly recommend you getting this one

http://www.boveda-direct.com/products/item...l.cfm?ITEM_ID=2

You can use that to, calibrate your Hygrometer. Meaning finding how many % off your Hygrometer reads from the try humidity. The Boveda pack that I recommend is a 65% one, if your Hygrometer does not read 65% then you need to adjust accordingly, such as calibrate it if your Hygrometer has that capabilities or write down somewhere how many % points your Hygrometer is off to the true value.

For an example. My Hygrometer in an 65% bovdea pack, reads 68%, and It does not have an Calibrate feature, so I tape on -3% to remind myself that I will have to subtract 3% to what ever my % reads from there on out.

David

During my salt test my cheapies from Wally Wesuck came out a perfect 75% after 24 hrs...

Give it some more time and see where they're at...