• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How long should I age

PSU OpusX

I just got a box of Vega Robania Famosos with a box date of AML May 06.
How long should I put these guys to sleep until they're in their prime?
To those who have smoked this cigar, what did you think?
I smoked one today and it was strong and very earthy. I know these need to be put away but I'm just not sure for how long.
Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks

err um - subjective! Smokes like this will start to improve after 2 years, ideal IMO, 5 to 6 years.

Brian

err um - subjective! Smokes like this will start to improve after 2 years, ideal IMO, 5 to 6 years.

Brian
Not so much the standard with the 06's. They are smoking fantastic right now.

Brian
Not so much the standard with the 06's. They are smoking fantastic right now.

Why? What have they done to the blend to make them smoke better younger? I'm smoking out of a early 2004 box and they are just starting to taste good.
In fact, there are a number of sticks that are smoking well young, PSP2, Mag 45, to name a few - just curious, anyone know if this is intentional, perhaps a marketing ploy?

Brian

The "typical" rule was smoke within 3 months of the box code, otherwise wait 12-18 months. With that said, Habanos is creating more "ready to smoke" smokes in recent years. However, aging smokes only improves their complexity starting at 3 years and moving on from them.

Hope this helps
~Mark

I don't know what they did last year, but some of the 06's are smoking well now. The Short Churchill tubo and the Bolvar Royal Corona are very enjoyable, go figure. YMMV

I had an 06 BC that didn't do much for me, I did have a 05 PSD4, man was that tasty. I guess it all depends on your preference. I know some guys who like em fresh and some who "have to have" at least 3 yrs on em.

one mans opinion only...smokincao

"How long should I put these guys to sleep until they're in their prime?"

this question cannot be answered...vr's are a verrrrry young brand and there are NO aged robainas out there yet.

the '97's are pretty good but NOwhere near their prime yet.

i feel the same way about sigloVI's and ALL el's but you never asked about them.

i know this sounds snobby but i believe that the above is true.

as for progression as the years go by: (more in regards to the familiar...although i do have some '97 famosos i have not tried one for 4 or 5 years)

3 years:a good smoke

5 years : starting to show signs of greatness

10 years: coming along nicely and past halfway to greatness

derrek :)

Wow, with that logic we need to stock away as many boxes now so we can enjoy later on. Perhaps, "laddering" your purchases makes sense. What I mean is buy a few of the same boxes you like a few years apart, so that they mature at different times. Less waiting around in that case.

I've always enjoyed young VR Famosos smokincao, but that's just me.

Not long ago, when you'd buy them, they were usually at least two to three years old but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore not only with Famosos but with just about all Cubans these days.

In December, I acquired some JAN 06 SLR Serie A. For the first month or two, I thought they didn't smoke very well but now that I've had them for almost 4 months, they're noticably better.

I'm sure they'll be even better if I let them sit around for a few years but that ain't gonna happen. :laugh:

Hey smokincao... if I had a box of VFRs ( ;) ) I'd be letting them nap for awhile (at least a couple years). But I'd probably sample one every 3-6 months just to see how they're coming along. :thumbs:

Hey smokincao... if I had a box of VFRs ( ;) ) I'd be letting them nap for awhile (at least a couple years). But I'd probably sample one every 3-6 months just to see how they're coming along. :thumbs:

edited: whoops double post

I have a box from Apr 05. They bacame very smokable after about the 1 year mark. I haven't enjoyed many young Cubans but this one has yet to dissapoint. This is my favourite cigar, though I've yet to smoke one with some years on it.

The "typical" rule was smoke within 3 months of the box code, otherwise wait 12-18 months. With that said, Habanos is creating more "ready to smoke" smokes in recent years. However, aging smokes only improves their complexity starting at 3 years and moving on from them.

Hope this helps
~Mark

This is what I've found as well, although Ive found 3-5 months Ive had good luck. At the 2 yr point they start to develope. 3 to 4 years are when they really define themselves, but taste is very subjective.

i usually can't wait to long... so i start smoking right away... but one can always see a difference after 6 months. Most of the harsh tones have mellowed out. The sticks i am able to hold off smoking for a few years are worth their weight in gold

In what is the total opposite of most guys, my everyday sticks are ISOMs although they are the more affordable ones such as piedras, quinteros, fonsecas and the cheaper partagas vitolas. My "save to savor" sticks are largely Dominican and Nicaraguan With some higher end ISOMs as well. I don't age my everydays smokes at all. Quintero panatellas, Fonseca Kadets, Piedra Brevas, Partagas Mille Fleurs all seem to smoke well right out of the box. Just my 2 centavos.