• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How long will cigars stay good (not in humi)?

icoNn

I know everyone may be sick of answering dumb questions, but I'm new and have to ask my fair share. Anyway, I just got my first sampler in, and it included a little 20ct humidor. I plan on buying a bigger/nicer one and setting it up properly etc, but I can't do that right this second. I was just wondering how long these cigars will stay good for if they're not in a properly controlled humi. :blush:

Don't worry a whole lot bro. They ain't like milk, but you're gonna wanna get them some humi action as soon as you can facilitate.

It'll probably just take a bit to rehumidify them if they are out for a long time. But unless they are out for like a year or so they are recoverable.

Just to be safe, I usually treat mine like a fish outta water.

a good quality rubbermaid tupperware (3-4 gallons) works great for me. I just added a humidifier element (oasis sponge in a jar with 70% PG sol'n) and a bit of old cedar box pieces to help stabalize it. It has the remote digital hygo reading 68% and has been for a year now. Some solutions are simple, and inexpensive. :)

Tupperware is nice. Also Fuente makes humidification bags you might be able to find. Easy fix.

Tupperware is nice. Also Fuente makes humidification bags you might be able to find. Easy fix.

I have 3 Fuente Bags for out here and they work fabulously. 70% all the time.

About $14.00 for at 25ct bag and like $8 for a 10ct.

But yeah, tupperware is too easy to not at least do that.

I have 3 Fuente Bags for out here and they work fabulously. 70% all the time.

About $14.00 for at 25ct bag and like $8 for a 10ct.

But yeah, tupperware is too easy to not at least do that.

I have a small 20ct humi that came with the sampler, I just need something to stabilize the humidity i guess?

I know everyone may be sick of answering dumb questions, but I'm new and have to ask my fair share. Anyway, I just got my first sampler in, and it included a little 20ct humidor. I plan on buying a bigger/nicer one and setting it up properly etc, but I can't do that right this second. I was just wondering how long these cigars will stay good for if they're not in a properly controlled humi. :blush:

Depends on the relative humidity in your house.

As someone who was in your spot just a few months ago, here's what I suggest.

Find a tupperware container that will just fit your cigars with little extra room. Store them in there and open the lid as infrequently as possible. (I know it's hard once you get that first whiff. :) )

Get a humidification element. I suggest going with a tube of Heartfelt humidty beads from Viper. Will work really well. I've got a tube in my 20 count and it's fantastic. As soon as you get something like this, put it in with the cigars until the next step is complete.

Do search in the forums for 'Seasoning Humidors'. Basically, to bring the wood up to spec so that it doesn't suck all the moisture up from the beads (or puck or whatever you end up using for humidification). I used 2 Boveda Seasoning packs and a dish of distilled water for a week. Again, leave it closed for as long as possible. The more often you open her up 'just to check', the longer it's going to take.

Smoke while you're waiting.

Back