• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How much is a Billion?

Obanion

Obanion
This is too true to be very funny. The next time you hear a politician use the word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about whether you want the 'politicians' spending YOUR tax money.

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

A. A billion seconds ago it was 1959.
B. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.
C. A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age
D.. A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it.

While this thought is still fresh in our brain, let's take a look at New Orleans It's amazing what you can learn with some simple division . .

Louisiana Senator, Mary Landrieu (D), is presently asking the Congress for $250 BILLION to rebuild New Orleans .
Interesting number, what does it mean?

A. Well, if you are one of 484,674 residents of New Orleans (every man, woman, child), you each get $516,528.

B. Or, if you have one of the 188,251 homes in New Orleans , your home gets $1,329,787.

C. Or, if you are a family of four, your family gets $2,066,012.

Washington , D.C .. HELLO!!! ... Are all your calculators broken??

Tax his land,
Tax his wage,
Tax his bed in which he lays.
Tax his tractor,
Tax his mule,
Teach him taxes is the rule.
Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
Tax his shirts,
Tax his work,
Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he tries to think.

Tax his booze,
Tax his beers,
If he cries, Tax his tears.

Tax his bills,
Tax his gas,
Tax his notes,
Tax his cash.

Tax him good and let him know
That after taxes, he has no dough.

If he hollers, Tax him more,
Tax him until he's good and sore.

Tax his coffin,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in which he lays.
Put these words upon his tomb,
'Taxes drove me to my doom!'

And when he's gone,
We won't relax,
We'll still be after the inheritance TAX!!

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL License Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Perm it Tax
Gasoline Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax),
IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax),
Liquor Tax,
Luxury Tax,
Marriage License Tax,
Medicare Tax,
Property Tax,
Real Estate Tax,
Service charge taxes,
Social Security Tax,
Road Usage Tax (Truckers),
Sales Taxes,
Recreational Vehicle Tax,
School Tax,
State Income Tax, State Unemployment Tax (SUTA),
Telephone Federal Excise Tax,
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax,
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Tax,
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax,
Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax,
Telephone State and Local Tax,
Telephone Usage Charge Tax,
Utility Tax,
Vehicle License Registration Tax,
Vehicle Sales Tax,
Watercraft Registration Tax,
Well Permit Tax,
Workers Compensation Tax.

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What happened?
Can you spell 'politicians!'
And I still have to 'press 1' for English.

Aside from the political nature, I got a laugh. I know it's not supposed to be funny, but sometimes things like this just make me laugh :thumbs: Take it with a grain of salt guys, we don't need any more drama.

As an aside, I find it funny. It still has no place here. When the first comment involves a (former) candidate's name we are crossing the line into political discussion and that isn't allowed here.

Discuss the "billion" part if you want, but no political discussions. :)

You're right. It is of a political nature and I apologize. It's just that I also found humor in it. I had no intention of offense at all.

Are you guys talking about "One Billion Dollars"?

medium_dr_evil_1.jpg

If we are to have a "zero tolerance" on politics I guess we can never comment on smoking bans or higher tobacco tax.
We here in the U.S. CAN discuss politics without political assasination or roving butcher hords of oposing factions. Although I do agree that Freak should edit his post to remove the name just to reduce the lynchpin of drama.

YES, 5-0 you are hereby ordered by the Texas Authorities to return George to his rightful place!

edited to add: Obanion, VERY true and funny in a painful way! :laugh:

If we are to have a "zero tolerance" on politics I guess we can never comment on smoking bans or higher tobacco tax.
We here in the U.S. CAN discuss politics without political assasination or roving butcher hords of oposing factions. Although I do agree that Freak should edit his post to remove the name just to reduce the lynchpin of drama.

YES, 5-0 you are hereby ordered by the Texas Authorities to return George to his rightful place!

It's Jimmy for now. He MAY make a triumphant return down the road, but there's a few more in line prior to George again. :D

Yep Tax sux.
Down here we have GST as well (goods and services tax) which is a tax on a tax. Go Figure. ???

Trust me when I say I am happy to discuss politics with anyone anytime in a civilized way , but we don't discuss politics on this board anymore. It isn't a big deal and I am certainly not trying to come down on Obanion for just posting a joke, just saying it isn't appropriate for this board the way we have defined the rules.

Trust me when I say I am happy to discuss politics with anyone anytime in a civilized way , but we don't discuss politics on this board anymore. It isn't a big deal and I am certainly not trying to come down on Obanion for just posting a joke, just saying it isn't appropriate for this board the way we have defined the rules.

Agreed. You dont know how bad I want to comment on this. I love politics, but I come to this board BECAUSE there is none.

You are CORRECT that we don't get too political. I've seen topics on taxes and bans so it's part and parcel. BUT I do agree we must be vigilant to stay clear of other politics. We can't cmpletely bury our heads in the sand on the board, maybe I'm differentiating between personal politics and civic politics if you get my drift. Obanion post IMHO was not political, just facts, the following post was out of line.
:)

You are CORRECT that we don't get too political. I've seen topics on taxes and bans so it's part and parcel. BUT I do agree we must be vigilant to stay clear of other politics. We can't cmpletely bury our heads in the sand on the board, maybe I'm differentiating between personal politics and civic politics if you get my drift. Obanion post IMHO was not political, just facts, the following post was out of line.

You go Jeff. :D :rolleyes:

You go Jeff. :D :rolleyes:

Whatever Starkisha!!! are you stalking me??? :laugh: :0

[quote name='5 O'Clock Somewhere' post='657281' date='Apr 23 2008, 05:45 PM'][quote name='Rebel Herfer' post='657277' date='Apr 23 2008, 07:43 PM']If we are to have a "zero tolerance" on politics I guess we can never comment on smoking bans or higher tobacco tax.

YES, 5-0 you are hereby ordered by the Texas Authorities to return George to his rightful place![/quote]

It's Jimmy for now. He MAY make a triumphant return down the road, but there's a few more in line prior to George again. :D
[/quote]

I thought that was you , and you just dyed your hair blond and took off the hat :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :blush:
I guess I'm just not a country boy :D

edit cuz i'm wasted and posting jibberish