• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How much of your cigar do you smoke?

I only smoke the first 1/2 inch to 1 inch. If it's good enough for the Cigar Aficionado guys, it's good enough for me! ;)

Really, I smoke a cigar until it gets too hot or tastes like crap. Most of the time those two things happen at about the same time. Some cigars leave an inch, some get tossed with a few inches left, and some get smoked to the very end (as long as I can hold onto it, anyway). Like has been said, it all depends on the cigar.

Absolutely a personal preference as with most actions involving cigar smoking pleasures.

Recently I had a very good friend visiting and we were enjoying a bit of rum and some old nasty dried leaves on the back patio. I noticed after smoking for a while that my friend took the cigar cutter and nipped the foot of the cigar about an 1/8th - 1/4 inch off the end. He would do it everytime he felt the oil build up in the end made the cigar bitter. I gave it a try once and was totally surprised at how it instantly changed the smoking profile... opening up the cigar and removing the bitterness.

Wow, very cool! You'd need a pretty big cutter or a corona or something, but that makes a lot of sense. I'll try it with one of those belicosos and see what happens -- and report back!

Absolutely a personal preference as with most actions involving cigar smoking pleasures.

Recently I had a very good friend visiting and we were enjoying a bit of rum and some old nasty dried leaves on the back patio. I noticed after smoking for a while that my friend took the cigar cutter and nipped the foot of the cigar about an 1/8th - 1/4 inch off the end. He would do it everytime he felt the oil build up in the end made the cigar bitter. I gave it a try once and was totally surprised at how it instantly changed the smoking profile... opening up the cigar and removing the bitterness.

I've had cigars that were so good, I finished them using a hemostat. :laugh:

TFF

I think Vince still has my hemo from High School.

Definitely agree with the other guys on the thread who said that the cigar will let them know when to put it down. Sometimes I get a curve ball from a cigar brand/vitola that I enjoy and I smoke through it to see if the taste I experienced was merely an anomaly. My smoking circumstances are not entirely consistent (nor is my mental, physical and spiritual condition) so I always expect to have a different experience every time I light up.

Taste is subjective. There's no right or wrong way to smoke, IMHO, simply what works for you.

I take it down to the band almost always unless I absolutely hate the cigar from the get go. If it's exceptional (ie Padron anniversarie, Davidoff aniversario I smoked yesterday) I'll nub it until it's too hot to hold.

I agree with most, the cigar lets you know. I usually go a little past the band. I rarely get out toothpicks or anything like that, just usually doesn't seem necessary or enjoyable.

To the original poster, so you never smoke a cigar past 1/2 or 1/3? It sounds to me like your missing out on a lot of all of your cigars. If the cigar becomes bland or not enjoyable to me, I will obviously pitch it, but to habitually do this for no reason other than just to do it seems a bit odd to me. But hey, to each their own.

I quit smoking a cigar when it stops being enjoyable, for whatever reason. If it's just a nasty cigar, I'll quit once I'm sure it's nasty and it's either not going to get better or it's not worth powering through the nastiness to get to an uncertain payoff. If it's a normal (good but not extraordinary) cigar, I'll smoke it until it either starts to get bitter or too hot. Usually that's with somewhere between 1 and 2 inches remaining. If it doesn't get bitter, I'll smoke it until I can't hold on to it any longer, but that doesn't happen very often.

I honestly can't think of a cigar I've stopped at only halfway if I enjoyed the first portion. It seems that once they start out (or become) good, they stay that way until they get near the head.

I smoke until it gets hot/bitter, then I chuck it. Generally speaking that's my own rule of thumb, but it also means different cigars give me different results.

Sometimes I just toss the cigar around the band area because I'm getting bored with it, even though it's still quite pleasant and flavorful. It's a mood thing too, you know.

if its a good cigar down to the nub, bad cigar/not enjoyin it i leave about a 1/3 maybe more, i tend to enjoy the later stages of the cigar however

Usually smoke them to the nub, or at least try to.
I ussually only smoke cigars that will perform all the way to the nub.
I hate to throw anything more than a quarter of the stick into the rose beds.
One reason why I like Pepin Garcias blends so much.
If they do start to get a little bitter or off, I blow out through the cigars, and let it rest a couple of minutes...usually does the trick for a few more puffs. :)