• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How often should I open coolerdor?

rigo

I have a coolerdor that is being used for long term storage. I’m using the Oregon Wireless Hygrometer from Cigarmony to monitor the temperature and humidity, so I don’t really need to open the cooler unless I add a box or add water to the beads (which I haven’t had to do, humidity has been very stable). So my question is this, is it necessary to open the cooler for any other reason? An older thread that came up in a search said I should open it every now and then to allow air to get in, but not sure what is meant by “every now and then” or for how long I should open it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Rigo

I think I have read (I could be wrong) that at a minimum of once a month, open it recirculate the air then close it back up. I am into mine way more than that so its not even a factor for me.

I have read everywhere from every few days to once a month.

Seth

This is one of those "it depends" questions IMO. If you have quite a few boxes of newer Cuban cigars, you may want to open it more often but in general once or twice a month should do if anything to make sure the humidity level is okay.

If you don't open it, how do get the cigars out? :laugh:

Seriously, I have found that it depends on how airtight the cooler is. I have a coolerdor that "breathes" on it's own so to speak. It still keeps 65 but a good press on the lid changes the air auto-magic-ly.

Fish