• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to economically mail cigars, the Remix

Lumberg

Opus Lover
Ok the crux of this thread is this: Except in certain circumstances (when the weight of the package is at the very top of the weight range for First Class Mail) First Class Mail is cheaper, and usually just as fast as Priority Mail.

A couple of notes:

For long distances, like cross country, PM can be faster (1-2 days) than FC. If you're mailing on the same coast chances are FC is just as fast if not faster tham PM.

DC is $.45 for Priority Mail and $.55 for other types of mail. The savings of using FC on small packages more than offsets this.

The maximum weight you can send FC is 13 oz.

A 12 or 13 oz package sent FC will actually cost more than sent Priority.

News Flash:

I just found out today something very interesting: when insuring a package for more than $50 you get a tracking barcode sticker. This can be used in the same way as a DC sticker. On my last pass, we were using both. All CP passers take notice! This is not necessary!

Of course all but the last note is more pertinent to bombs and trades than passes. But several members including myself are thinkign about starting a "least postage possibel pass" where we keep the total weight of the package below 11 oz! Should be a fun challenge!

Hmmmm very interesting. Thanks for the info Lumy

BenjieV ;)

If I am sending cigars to the same quarter of the Country I use Media Mail. 1 LB is $1.42 or something like that. Takes about 4 days or so. Also depends on what I am shipping. If they are regular every day cigars, FC or Media Mail works fine. If it is a pass or high end cigars I go with PM. I print the label from the internet so the DC is free.

Emo

Emo

Okay I'll show my ignorance what in the world is Media Mail

BenjieV ???

MM is what used to be called Book Rate or 4th class.

It's called media now because it has expanded to include computer media such as floppy disks and CDs!

i see cigars are medias....

so you just "forget to tell the truth" to the person you're giving it to?

thejollyco said:

HUH??? Lost me on that one.

emodx said:
thejollyco said:

It's illegal to send anything other than actual "media" for media mail rates.

Lumberg said:
emodx said:
thejollyco said:

Maybe, but I am using my own box. :p

if you give it to the post office (the dude who collects the package at the office), you're supposed to declare what's in there.

i did, when i was sending my box containing a cinder block

emodx said:
Lumberg said:
emodx said:
thejollyco said:

Maybe, but I am using my own box. :p
OK since you baited me, I am going to give the backgroud:

in the previous life of this thread I advocated getting some of the VCR tape size priority mail boxes(which they give out for free), packing cigars in them, wrapping them in an envelope (perhaps an inside-out priority mail or express mail envelope) and mailing them first class.

A lot of people came down on me for that which is why I didn't advocate that in this thread. But if some CP users were to use this method they would be able to save a lot of money! ;)

You know the last few times I have mailed cigars the clerks have looked at me kind of funny. One said "I'm not sure you're allowed to mail those but I did it for you this time." Another time the clerk looked at his list of prohibited materials at length. He asked me if I was sending matches.

I always ask for "FRAGILE" and "PERISHABLE" stamps as well.

i shoudl get those boxes, i always resend the boxes i get from passes, so they look kind of taped up with duct tape.

next time i go, i'll ask for some boxes

thejollyco said:
i shoudl get those boxes, i always resend the boxes i get from passes, so they look kind of taped up with duct tape.

next time i go, i'll ask for some boxes
:thumbs:

After winning CigarPool twice and saving all the boxes I received, I have a darn near lifetime supply of small boxes to send cigars in.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with turning a used priority mail box inside out, covering it with brown paper and using it again.

The tree huggers will love me for it, recycling instead of filling the landfills or the trash burners with more garbage.

well, i just learned that my local post office place doesn't give out priority boxes.

and i'm out of boxes.

oh wait, i can uses these 2 as boxes.

but that's it.

if i was to get the boxes, i'd have to go down to the "REAL" post office, and seeing as how i don't have a car, or a bike with 2 tires that aren't flat, i'm kind of lost.

well, i could pay money, but it's not worth it.

i think i've used more than 100 bucks for shipping already

You can order all priority shipping supplies off the internet and they are delivered to your mail box, all for free. If you have a scale, you can then print out priority shipping labels from your computer and pay by credit card or debit. Then you package it up, and put it in your mailbox. The mail person picks it up and you never have to go anywhere to mail your package. Except every so often to get bubble plastic or the foam peanuts.

Emo

emodx said:
You can order all priority shipping supplies off the internet and they are delivered to your mail box, all for free. If you have a scale, you can then print out priority shipping labels from your computer and pay by credit card or debit. Then you package it up, and put it in your mailbox. The mail person picks it up and you never have to go anywhere to mail your package. Except every so often to get bubble plastic or the foam peanuts.

Emo
I have more than enough peanuts from my online cigar orders! Not to mention trades! How can you ever run out?!?!?!!?

awesome. when i run out of peanuts, i generally use bits of paper lying around that have crap on em.

you wouldn't happen to have a link to the ordering thing, would you?
i'm too lazy :p

Emo, when you use the online label section from USPS.com, how long does it usually take you to get the labels to print. I tried a couple of times today and let it run for about 30 minutes, but the label screen never really finished loading. I am running cable for internet. Thanks.

Arlen

News flash:

I was informed that the bluie insurance sticker does NOT act as a tracking sticker. One postal employee told me it was. Two others refuted it. THis is inaddition to my girlfriend trying to track a package which she sent with just the insurance sticker, as recommended bu the postal counter guy.

I apologoze for the misinformation. If you want to be able to check the receipt of a package online, use DC!

Thanks

JC

PS is there any way to send first class using the internet?? I looked around and it appears it's only possible to print priority labels.