• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to keep a Cigar Lit...

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
I've noticed that sometimes when I smoke a cigar, it goes out on me. So I flick off the ash, and I've noticed that it's begun to tunnel. So I have to retoast the foot to get it to even out again. Could I be smoking it too fast? I don't think I am, but than again, I may be... But it usually happens once I get half way's down the stick it does this. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong? Thanks,Rod

Hello Rod I have had that problem and this is what I do . When I take a smoke out of the dor I let it rest for an hour , Then
smoke it , I feel it may let excess moisture even out in the smoke giving a more even burn . worth a try

I do something very similar to Pat, about 45 minutes to and hour before I light up a smoke I'll take it out of the humi and clip the head. Seems to improve the draw and burn by opening it up a bit (or I may just be nuts).I don't think your smoking to fast Rod as I have the same thing happen to me on occasion.

I agree, sounds like your cigars are to moist.  Do you keep your cigars at 65%?

No, I keep them at 70% humidity. That's what I have always read to do. This is a great suggestion, I will lower the humidity level. It makes perfect sense that too much humidity would cause this to happen.Thanks...

A lot of people store their cigars at 70% for aging, then take out what they think they will smoke in the next month or so, and store them at 65%. I find cigars at 70% sometimes burn a little bitter and go out, like your experience. I think you will like the burn at 65% much better, IMHO.

I try for 65-67 % myself. Of course, I live in the Ohio valley which makes humidity regulation of any kind a challenge. :)

As a rule of thumb I like Keith and Devin try to keep them between 65% - 67% also. I've found that they smoke much better at that RH.

Never had a problem keeping them lit. I usually light the cigar by rotating it around the flame so its even..and as long as I draw on it regualryly it doesn't go out.

i live in Ga. i have to use a desicat pack in the summer o dehumidify mine :(

I agree with those who have said moisture is the culprit. I keep a cooler for aging at 70%. Then I have a desk top humi I try to keep at 63-68%. Even at that, I try to take a smoke out at least 24 hours prior to smoking. Of course, this only works if you don't get unexpected company.

I like my smokes at about 65 % , after the switch to climmax beads from pg solution this became very easy.

Tell me more about these Climmax beads Pat. I have never heard of them.

Climmax beads and humidifiers work by releasing or removing humidity as needed , they are passive . you can check them out @ www.climmax.com . If you have more Q's
e mail Roy Seeman ( the owner )He will respond quickly. hope this helps

The words 'Climmax' and 'beads' should never be used in the same sentence together! :eek: