• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How would you spend $500 on pipe?I

SkyKing

I'm starting a small collection of functional pipes and plan to spend $300 to $500 to start. Would you buy several pipes in the $100 range or maybe one or two for $200 plus? On one hand, that is nothing for a handmade pipe, but as far as my wife is concerned, it is a ridiculous amount for a casual past time.

Maybe stick to estate pipes? Don't think any of the B&Ms in the Maryland suburbs sells estates, so would probably have to depend on CP members for individual purchases.

Th

In my opinion, a great pipe is one that brings you great flavor. In that vein, nothing beats a Meerschaum or even a CornCob. I have a lot of Briars, some fairly expensive, and it is rare that one really makes me go wow over it's flavor delivery. One out of ten of my Briars come even close, and 3 or 4 out of 50 are fantastic. If I was going to do it all over again, I would probably stick almost exclusively with IMP or Baki Meerschaums. YMMV, but that is my experience.

Thanks, Mr. MadMonk. What do you think of the estate Meerschaums on this page? Has anyond\ had any experience with smokingpipes.com in South Carolina?

I don't really know, SkyKing. The reason I specifically named IMP and Baki is that I know how they are constructed, which is similar to a Briar. Nice open draw. Other makers are either a smaller diameter push tenon, some delrin, and others are an old fashioned screw-in type tenon. I'm not crazy about either because I find the draw too restricted. All that said, I have had a couple of CAO Meers that ok.

edited for spelling

I ordered a carved billiard merscheem estate pipe from smokingpipes.com, a new Nording freehand, and a couple Mr. Brogs. I also ordered several tins of GL.Pease and ten 5 oz bail lid jars from US Plastics for storage  They're food grade and can be boiled to sterilize. I'm not at $500 yet - still can buy one or two very decent pipes. I would easily spend this on on one or two boxes of cigars.

Sounds like you're off to a good start! I really like my Nordings (I have, at least, 7 or 8) . My Tobacco tastes pretty good in them, and they perform splendidly. Post a pic of the pipes if the notion hits. I'd like to see them.

Got the Mr. Brog pearwood pipes.

I first smoked the oversized extra large model XOL.  (Image link) The walls were so thick, and the chamber looked so narrow that I thought it would be a short smoke. Wrong! I loaded up some flolded GLP Sextant and the bowl lasted most of an evening. It was surprisingly easy to keep lit, the smoke was cool and the pearwood lended a slightly sweet base to the mix. I liked it but understand that the sweet touch disappears as the pipe is broken in.

The second was a Church Warden that I picked up, mostly out of curiosity and the sub-thirty dollar price tag. This time I tried out some GLP Jack Ready Rub. Again, the bowl lasted the evening and I got a cool smoke, although the bowl itself would overheat quickly.

As the evening progressed, I learned that dainty sips would keep the warden going and relatively cool. 

The pipes also ship with a filter. They interfered with the draw so badly, that I had first thought the shanks were clogged - which in effect they were, until I removed the filter.

I don't regret purchasing the Mr. Brogs but probably will not buy another. Like cob pipes, they smoke very well out of the box. BUT aesthetics do count and I found the single dimensional burgundy finish to look a little cheap,  like something you would get out a bargain bin at a dollar store. Of course, that is what these pipes are - cheap.

But if you are looking to try a pipe without spending a bundle, these Mr. Brogs are an option. And they do lend a little variety to your collection. However, I probably would recommend that if you want a good, cheap smoker, then get a Missouri Meerschaums cob.

This is a good thread. My buddies and I keep talking about getting into pipes but we still have not.

Maybe this will push us over the edge.

Thanks. If you're a serious cigar smoker, your wallet will thank you too. You can get several very decent pipes and some good tin baccies for the price of a couple boxes of cigars. Or try some cob pipes aka Missouri Meerschaum  and maybe get a tin of GL Pease for the cost of two or three cigars. 

After that, you can get a couple of weeks to a months worth of tobacco for the cost of one or two decent cigars. I've gone from 5 to 7 cigars a week to one or two every couple of weeks, so I'm probably already ahead.

Pax

Yeah, no question about the savings of Pipe over Cigar smoking. I like the consistency too; i.e., 25 cigars out of a box can often vary pretty widely in flavor and performance. (I have MUCH less of a problem, in that regard, with Padrons and Fuentes). But,the pipe tobaccos are fairly consistent from tin to tin, and you put them down midway and relight without a nasty ashtray flavor. Storage is pretty easy too if you're buying tins. No fuss! Still, I love my cigars, and the pipe allows have a break or lunch smoke without having to waste a good cigar, or smoke a not too enjoyable cigar, for the sake of not being wasteful. 

Oh! Meant to write about my one and only Pearwood pipe. I had a friend in England make me a quasi-raindrop style Pearwood pipe for smoking Virginias. Nice thick walls, and performs beautifully. Definitely could taste the wood in the beginning, which I did not particularly care for. That said, it wasn't horrible, just an undertone that was bearable, and which eventually receded way back in the flavor. One thing the maker told me is that the wood is harder to work with than Briar. That surprised me but, what do I know.

Drawing on Davidoff Danish in my Mr. Brogs. over-sized XOL. The stain is already darkening significantly on rear side next to the shank. But I'm getting to like this pipe a lot. It is a little heavy on the hang as might be expected but feels good in the hand.

I've been packing pipes since I was sixteen years old, usually with a black cherry aromatic. But i was reading some tips for beginners including advice on not packing too tight. I started lightening up the pack on the bottom third and found that I like the draw better and the I'm smoking longer between lights. So, old dogs can learn new tricks.

Regarding cigars, I think we have similar tastes. I like the variety in cigars but if I had to, I could live with just Padrons and Fuentes. My two go-to cigars are Padron Londres, which I age for 6 months or longer and Hemingways.  I've had a few Opus X but if I want to be sure of an excellent smoke, I'll get one of the Padron Anniversary sticks. I've had more than one Opus blow up on me - one that I was smoking for my 35th wedding anniversary. Arrgh! For 35 bucks a pop, they should give you a warranty.

Yeah, cigars that I could loosely say are my favorites are Padron 64 Principes, and 26 #6 but smoke Delicias as a go to. Fuente Don Carlos; probably the #2 but smoke more #3 and #4 because they don't take such a large investment in time. 

Well, the Mr. Brog oversized extra large model XOL is smoking well, dry and cool. However, the burgundy finish isn't holding up at all. The pearwood walls, thick as they are, have darkened to a deep glossy brown from top to bottom on both front and back of the pipe. I'm not if it will get in regular rotation because of this. 

Interesting, I wouldn't think a bowl with walls that thick would do that (but I'm new to pipes as well).  I wonder if it's a reaction from heat?  You might be able to sand it down and refinish it with something else.

investandprosper said:
 I wonder if it's a reaction from heat? 

I'm sure it was caused by heat. It first darkened on the backside. When I noticed it, I made a point of lighting the bowel from the front. I've never had a pipe finish deteriorate this quickly - maybe four bowls? 

I'm sure a skilled craftsman could refinish it. But (1) I'm not skilled and (2) if I were, I don't think I'd wast the energy on pearwood.

I've taken the pipe out of my rotation, I've others to break in, e.g.,

I'll trade my Mr. Brogs if anyone has a use for them.

004-003-1082 

My advice is to go to a good pipe shop and look/hold some to get a feel for what's what. What?

Pipes are tactile, too! :p

Good advice. I'm hoping to go to the SmokeShop in Annapolis Md tomorrow morning. Place has terrific rep, was reviewed favorably in pipesmoking magazine.

The Sebatien Beo mouthpiece was also loose after a day. I'm thinking maybe because I'm storing in my Florida room. May have to move them into the main part of the house.

SmokingPipes rep told me loose stems were fairly common this time of year. Thy fix it buy steaming the pipes?

Nice topic. I often bring my pipe to work for a quick lunch break smoke. I've tried smoking cigars of all sizes and shapes but always find myself rushing them because of the time constrains. The pipe allows me to use just the right amount of tobacco and saving me some cash by not wasting good cigars that need time to be fully enjoyed.

Yep, go to a local B&M and try out a few pipes in your hand.  Spend the rest on tobacco and a place to store it.  Before you know it, you'll have tobacco that's got 5+ years on it.

I enjoy both.  I smoke my pipe every day as it's cheap.  I love cigars too.  So now I can smoke whatever cigar I want because I don't smoke them every day.  So now my go-to's are Padron Anni's.

I really like Boswell pipes and their tobaccy.  I would check out your b&m for baccy too, ask them what is the best seller at the store.  I stick with Peterson, Nording, Savanille, Stanwell pipes.  Good luck and have fun with it.