• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyo de Monterey Petit Robusto

JimK

After hearing mixed reviews of this odd vitola (4x50), it was with some trepidation that I pulled this KMM May 04 from my humidor. The construction was beautiful, with a nice medium wrapper, and as perfect a triple cap as I have ever seen. There were no incosistencies in the wrapper.

Pre-cut aroma was almost non-existent, but the pre-light draw was a promise of things to come, and a promise kept. Upon lighting, I got a mouthful of that elusive twang, with tobacco, leather, and a hint of spice. It maintained this profile all the way down, and I smoked it well past the band. The profile reminded of a Monte #4 when they are "on."

I laid this down during the finger-burning stage, and only wished there was a little more.

This was a very enjoyable, if short, smoking experience, and I give it an A-.

Maybe everyone has had this experience, that classic moment that we realize we are totally screwed.

Mine occurred not long ago, sitting outside one pleasant weekend morning. I remember the temperature and humidity were comfortably low. I sipped my capuccino and lit a Hoyo de Monterey petit robusto. Two puffs and I realized that for me, the definition of "disposable income" had changed permanently.

Like you, it left me wanting more. Sometimes that's a good thing, but it made me want to try the HdM Epicure #2. Do you know if it's got a similar flavor?

No, I have not smoked the #2. only the petit robusto and double corona. What can I say, I like the extremes! :)

JK

JimK said:
After hearing mixed reviews of this odd vitola (4x50), it was with some trepidation that I pulled this KMM May 04 from my humidor. The construction was beautiful, with a nice medium wrapper, and as perfect a triple cap as I have ever seen. There were no incosistencies in the wrapper.

Pre-cut aroma was almost non-existent, but the pre-light draw was a promise of things to come, and a promise kept. Upon lighting, I got a mouthful of that elusive twang, with tobacco, leather, and a hint of spice. It maintained this profile all the way down, and I smoked it well past the band. The profile reminded of a Monte #4 when they are "on."

I laid this down during the finger-burning stage, and only wished there was a little more.

This was a very enjoyable, if short, smoking experience, and I give it an A-.
[snapback]219951[/snapback]​

I love these cigars they have that classic Hoyo taste. Hoyos seem to always have that nice spicy kick to it. These cigars are perfect for that time when I walk the dog or just do not have time to smoke a Torpedo and want that great flavor.

As for comparing them to a Monte#4. I agree. The only thing is that the Montes have a more creamy taste and the Hoyos. The Hoyos are a little more spicy.

Great cigar. Glad you enjoyed it !

Corona Gigante said:
Maybe everyone has had this experience, that classic moment that we realize we are totally screwed.

Mine occurred not long ago, sitting outside one pleasant weekend morning. I remember the temperature and humidity were comfortably low. I sipped my capuccino and lit a Hoyo de Monterey petit robusto. Two puffs and I realized that for me, the definition of "disposable income" had changed permanently.

Like you, it left me wanting more. Sometimes that's a good thing, but it made me want to try the HdM Epicure #2. Do you know if it's got a similar flavor?
[snapback]219955[/snapback]​

I have had both the Petite Robusto and the Epi #2. They both share the typical HdM characteristics, but I think the petite robusto might be just a little creamier and less spicey than the #2. Both are great smoke IMHO. Fact is, I like most of the HdM line. The Double Corona is one of my favorite all time cigars. The HdM Epi #1 is a very nice, if milder corona gorda. The only HdM that I thought was flat (flavorwise) was the Short Hoyo Corona.

Thanks for the review Jim. I find them to be pretty good myself considering their youth. Hopefully these will be a success as I love to see Havana producing new sizes.

cigardawg - What vintages of the DC have you enjoyed the most? I like them as well and am looking to aquire some more.

lucasbuck said:
Thanks for the review Jim. I find them to be pretty good myself considering their youth. Hopefully these will be a success as I love to see Havana producing new sizes.

cigardawg - What vintages of the DC have you enjoyed the most? I like them as well and am looking to aquire some more.
[snapback]220124[/snapback]​

Unfortunately, I have only smoked DCs from two different batches. The first was from 1999. The second...the cigars that I am smoking now, are from early 01. I like the DCs from 01 much better than the 99s. More flavor and much better construction. Fact is, I smoked one a couple of months ago that I would place in the top 5 cigars that I have ever smoked. :D

Speaking of them, though, reminds me that I am running way low. I don't smoke many of them, but I don't want to run out. :0 Might have to poke around for some more.