• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyo De Monterrey Dark Sumatra Espresso

Joho

Size: 4.5" x 50
Shape: Rothschild
Wrapper: Dark Ecuadorian Sumatra
Binder: Connecticut Broadleaf
Filler: Honduran, Dominican, Nicaraguan
Strength: Full
Price: $3.15

Hello there, CP! This will be my first cigar review ever. I have only been a member here for less than two months, and I have smoked cigars for an even shorter time. Feel free to post any constructive (or destructive) feedback.

gallery_9551_1116_116051.jpg

The stick in question was the Hoyo De Monterrey Dark Sumatra Espresso, a Rothschild at 4.5" length and 50 ring gauge. It was gifted to me from a BOTL in one of the many wonderful packages I received upon joining CigarPass. I decided to light up this stick while consuming half of a chicken panini sandwich of sorts in addition to a bottle of fruit punch Gatorade and a bottle of spring water. The time was approximately one o'clock in the afternoon.

gallery_9551_1116_123299.jpg

In terms of construction and appearance, I would say that this specific cigar was definitely a beautiful one. Sporting a regal band of gold and black and a cedar sleeve, its garments nicely complemented the dark, glistening sun-grown Sumatra wrapper. The stick was slightly soft but firm and uniform without any noticeable lumps. I found a tiny bit of mold on the foot which I brushed off; I clipped the cap with a cheap $2.00 cutter.

gallery_9551_1116_105179.jpg

Despite the sandwich and soft drink overwhelming my senses, I was able to detect a slight hint of chocolate upon giving the stick a good sniff. A draw prior to lighting revealed a slightly tight draw and the taste of tobacco with a remote sweetness. With a light blue disposable BIC lighter in my hand (my Ronson Jet Lite has either run out of fuel or died on me), I toasted the foot, blew through the cigar, and set fire to it.

gallery_9551_1116_84239.jpg

"Cocoa" was the word that immediately came to mind in the first half of the stick, but after slight pondering, I would say a marriage of light nutty coffee and a just a mere tint of chocolate would be more accurate in describing the taste. A pleasant tinge of black pepper smoothly moved in and out of my palate at various times through the stick, being most evident during the start and finish.

The ash of the cigar went to an average length and was a shade of extremely light gray. The wrapper looked almost polished in the bright sunlight as more oils ventured to the surface. A substantial amount of smoke would escape the cigar in almost a ghostly off-white color; being that this was a particularly windy day, with both front windows down the smoke would swirl around the interior of my car producing a scene reminiscent of a misty evening.

gallery_9551_1116_36316.jpg

As I continued smoking the Dark Sumatra, its splendid-looking construction proved true as I ran into no burn problems whatsoever. In terms of flavor, I found the taste of sweet nuttiness to grow more prominent, pushing the coffee flavor into the background. I decided to manually ash the cigar to prevent any accidents from occuring.

gallery_9551_1116_185852.jpg

The last third burned slightly hot, which was partly my fault for attempting to produce copious amounts of smoke for a picture (which didn't come out to be all that nice). Now this may or may not have caused an acridity resembling that of bad coffee to join the other tastes on my palate, but the resulting taste was actually rather nostalgic, reminding me of a time in my past. The acridity quickly disappeared, and a mellow and concealed sweet nuttiness became center stage on the surface of my tongue, quite literally.

gallery_9551_1116_34792.jpg

All in all the Hoyo De Monterrey Dark Sumatra Espresso proved itself to be an enjoyable, nice, and simple smoke that still offered the richness of a more complex cigar. Its strength was far from overpowering but left me satisfied, and the smaller size Espresso was perfect for my busy life. This will definitely be a cigar that I'll look to buy in the near future.

:)

Edit: Resized and re-uploaded the pictures to 640x480.

Those pics are way too BIG for my lil netbook! Great camera!

Great cigars when they're not plugged and unsmokable.

Looking at your grocery list. I have a question/concern about the diphenhydramine. Is that for allergic reactions or for sleep? I ask because that is some nasty neurotoxic stuff to take on a regular basis. And if it's for sleep, may I recommend Melatonin and "hylands Calms" for a natural remedy. I still shudder at the "brain shake electric zaps" I and many others have experienced from Benadryl/Tylenol PM. But if it's for keeping someone alive due to allergies I understand.

Those pics are way too BIG for my lil netbook! Great camera!

Looking at your grocery list. I have a question/concern about the diphenhydramine. Is that for allergic reactions or for sleep? I ask because that is some nasty neurotoxic stuff to take on a regular basis. And if it's for sleep, may I recommend Melatonin and "hylands Calms" for a natural remedy. I still shudder at the "brain shake electric zaps" I and many others have experienced from Benadryl/Tylenol PM. But if it's for keeping someone alive due to allergies I understand.

Wait, CP doesn't resize your images? I was afraid they were too big. :(

And the Diphenhydramine is for both. I take it very occasionally for sleep (as in, once in a blue moon) and I also have terrible indoor and outdoor allergies.

Nice review! I've been wanting to try these, but can't find any locally and haven't come across any on cbid either. I'm going to try a Drew Estates Java Latte when I get a chance, along with a Mayorga if I can ever find one. Also, the pics did resize for me after they got done loading.

Should I resize the pictures or is it okay for everyone to just wait until they're automatically resized? For future reviews I'll probably just resize them to 640x480.

X2. I've had just as many of these that I have to chunk because they're plugged as I've had that I've finished. Damn good cheap smoke though. Nice review.

Oh wow, are they really plugged that often? I might think twice about buying these often then...

Nice review! I've been wanting to try these, but can't find any locally and haven't come across any on cbid either. I'm going to try a Drew Estates Java Latte when I get a chance, along with a Mayorga if I can ever find one. Also, the pics did resize for me after they got done loading.

I really want to give the Drew Estates Java (Latte) cigars a try. They sound great. I doubt I'd be a big fan of ACIDs though.

Back