• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyo de Monterrey Dark Sumatra

Shadow

That's DON Shadow to you!
Went for my Saturday morning smoke today at my local shop and he had just received the new HDM with a dark Sumatra wrapper. The cigars are wrapped in cedar with the regular HDM band, a separate band that has "Dark Sumatra" on it and are in a dark wood box.

I picked a toro($4.30 ea including tax) to smoke. As soon as I lit it I got a mouthful of strong flavorful smoke that went very well with my coffee. The cigar burned great and kept that flavor for the entire cigar. I'll be getting some of these for the humidor. :thumbs:

Nice review Shadow. I saw them for the first time on Friday. Was tempted to pick some up, but blew my budget on the Tres Mystiques. :( I'll give them a try for sure. Do you know if it's the same blend as the regular line only with a sungrown wrapper? Hoyo seems to do that a lot - release different lines with essentially the same blend only with different wrappers.

FT, the only change is the wrapper from what I've read.

I have found mosr HDM to be a bit bitter...except the Excalibur line..which is one of my favorites.
I'll check this one out though and see what I think.

shadow i have been thinking of getting a box, what would you compare them to?

They remind me of the ERDM Robusto Larga, Joe.

I had one this past weekend. A Rothschild, I liked it a lot. Nice looking packaging, oily wrapper with a good looking cap. It was nicely constructed with no soft spots. The draw was perfect as was the burn and it produced lots of smoke. Good taste to the cigar. The flavor never changed while I was smoking it. It had a nutty creamy taste not real complex but very good.

I am surprised to read that it’s the same blind only with a different wrapper, because I have tried the Rothschild in maduro and natural and didn’t care for them much. I got the same bitter taste that Dawn was talking about.

Mpass