• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur

FatherTiresius

Watcher of the Skies
Haven't done a review in a while, so here goes....

Note: This cigar was gifted to me by the ever-generous Bruddah Wade. Thanks, Wade!!

Setting
I enjoyed this cigar with a 2000 Pepi Barbera while watching Sunday Night Football.

Appearance
The box-pressed cigar had a smooth, dark reddish-brown wrapper with very little veining and a mottled appearance. For an oscuro, it wasn't as dark as some maduros I've seen. It was a very attractive stick, similar in appearance to an Ashton VSG. Some slight wrinkling of the wrapper was observed near the cap, due no doubt to its age.

Construction
It was very firm throughout, no lumpiness or soft spots were observed. Had an attractive and well-made cap. The cigar cut cleanly.

Pre-light
The draw was excellent, just barely on the tight side of perfect. No specific flavors were noted on the draw.

Post-light
From the start, a smooth, mild Honduran profile was apparent. The taste was creamy, with sweet, toasted wood flavors. These flavors were consistent through the entire smoke, but about midway it developed an interesting twang reminiscent of a good Habana. The burn was never razor-straight, but never needed any correction either. The draw continued to be excellent to the end. About the only negative is the smoke density was a little on the thin side.

Overall
A very attactive and well-aged cigar that was smooth and enjoyable even though on the mild side. The SamGuss Cigar Calculator tells me that it rated 87 out of 100. If any of you have some of these from this, the first production year, go ahead and light up. I think you'll find they are smoking quite well.

Great review!

Those puppies are one of my favorites

Mmm, dark creamy goodness *drool*