• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Gourmet

bpj87

Go Bulldogs!
Hoyo de Monterrey
Le Hoyo du Gourmet
Palma 6.6" x 33

I figured that I would write a short review for this smoke, since the particular vitola is not encountered often. The construction was good for a CC, but certainly did not stack up to that of a NC superpremium. The wrapper was a nice colorado shade and had a few prominent veins, but their presence may have been accentuated by the small RG. After the cut, the prelight draw was tighter than optimal and offered little in the way of obvious flavors.

I lit this up slowly with a single long match. Immediately, and for the first third, the stick offered classic Hoyo fruity flavors, along with some nuttiness. The second third turned more nutty and woody, but hints of fruit remained. Towards the last third, I began experiencing some burn problems, but this is likely due to me not providing ample attention to this small RG stick while studying for finals. Had I reliably puffed once per minute, I don’t think I would have had to do any touchups or relights. I gave up with about 2” remaining, as a distinct bitterness began to show.

I’m excited to see how these age, as I hope the draw will loosen and some great flavors will strengthen. I would rate this as on par with the Hoyo Petit Robusto. Both are great sticks with similar flavors, but they are completely different in their character and delivery. Overall, this was quite the enjoyable smoke! :thumbs:

Love me some HDMs. Good stuff. Thanks for the review!!!

The excalibur maduros are some of my favorite everyday smokes.

I smoked a 2010 last night. It was delicious ! Pleasantly surprised, especially into the 2nd 3rd of the stick. NO problems with the draw which was a relief after so many bad experiences with this vitola. First 3rd actually had some spice mixed in with the fruitiness and almost floral. It smoothed out nicely with loss of the spice and crisp mellow fruit notes and some fine leather as well. That continued throughout. Was very careful to not over heat with a well paced smoke. Started to taste the dreaded ash and had to put it down. All in all a most enjoyable smoke.