• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humi/cooler/drybox all in one!

Tillers

So I had this old "Ice Cube" cooler sitting around. Noticed I was running out of room in my 'regular' humidor and remembered all the posts on coolidors. Decided to make good use of this Igloo. Prepped it a couple weeks ago and now stuffing it full. It has a little storage container on the lid top. First I just dropped a couple zip lock bags up there for on-the-go. I was reading up about the how differences in humidity can effects on flavor and smokability of cigars and 'dry boxing' came up. I figured, "Hey, why not place a stick or two up here for tomorrow"! Anyway, I think I paid $13 or so for this cooler, it holds more sticks than my wooden humi and doesn't take up much more room. Outside dimensions are about a cubic foot while the inside is ~850 cubic inches. The odd shape makes sticking whole boxes in diffcult unless they are square like the Bolivar I have in there (or anything under 9 inches).
IMG_20110223_202938.jpg

IMG_20110223_202958.jpg

IMG_20110223_203008.jpg

So I had this old "Ice Cube" cooler sitting around. Noticed I was running out of room in my 'regular' humidor and remembered all the posts on coolidors. Decided to make good use of this Igloo. Prepped it a couple weeks ago and now stuffing it full. It has a little storage container on the lid top. First I just dropped a couple zip lock bags up there for on-the-go. I was reading up about the how differences in humidity can effects on flavor and smokability of cigars and 'dry boxing' came up. I figured, "Hey, why not place a stick or two up here for tomorrow"! Anyway, I think I paid $13 or so for this cooler, it holds more sticks than my wooden humi and doesn't take up much more room. Outside dimensions are about a cubic foot while the inside is ~850 cubic inches. The odd shape makes sticking whole boxes in diffcult unless they are square like the Bolivar I have in there (or anything under 9 inches).

Thats what she said!

Anyway-
Good start! You're still going to need a bigger cooler, trust me. :D

That's a pretty good idea. I actually have one of those sitting in the garage right now just collecting dust.

Nice. You are off to a great start with this hobby.........err............slippery slope
laugh.gif

I have the same one but without the top compartment. Best damn cooler ever. We use it to transport food to our place in Baja. Keeps the same original ice for three days or more.

Hmmm really good idea im going to have to keep this in mind. is there a limit on the size of the cooler or could you use a farely bigger one than this and be fine?

Hmmm really good idea im going to have to keep this in mind. is there a limit on the size of the cooler or could you use a farely bigger one than this and be fine?

click me

me too!

Yes you can use a much bigger cooler. Many people (including me) use the 110QT Igloo.Read the link and search around for how its done.

Very cool idea, looking into making my first coolidor very soon. Here at school, being an industrial design major, I have total access to a full wood/metal/plastic(laser cutter,CNC,3DP) shop, and as a side project I'm looking into building a custom humidor as well.

Great thought about using the top as a drybox, pure genius! haha

Yes, in time I plan on getting a larger coolidor going, but I thought this was cool for something I had sitting around.

Very cool idea, looking into making my first coolidor very soon. Here at school, being an industrial design major, I have total access to a full wood/metal/plastic(laser cutter,CNC,3DP) shop, and as a side project I'm looking into building a custom humidor as well.

That would be pretty cool. You could make something pretty unique for sure!

That would be pretty cool. You could make something pretty unique for sure!

Yeah that's my thought, just something really original. Now i just have to fit that in will all these projects for school...

Yeah that's my thought, just something really original. Now i just have to fit that in will all these projects for school...

You just need to make the humidor a project for your class, kill two birds with one stone!

We do have a furniture studio next semester, I know what I'm making! Just have to find a way to make it new and innovative!