• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidifying your travel humidor

StogieSteve

I just recently got a otterbox 5000 cigarcaddy off ebay for $25(including shipping). I'm going on vacation on the 18th and I need to figure out how to use the humidifier. I for the life of me can't figure out how. It holds 18 cigars which is enough since I'll be gone for a week(spring break). I tried searching for the answer using the search button but to no avail. I'm a newbie and I know this probably the dumbest question but I just can't figure out how.

So far searching has yielded me all the answers to my questions that I sought, but this one. Can anyone help me out? If anyone has a better solution than using this little round humidifier please post up. I was thinking of possibly buying a second tube for viper beads and using that instead as it seems simpler. Just don't know where to put it. Should it go in the top or bottom? The round one is velcroed to the top. I don't have a digital camera so I can't post a pic of it.

Steve, if you can't get another tube of beads in time for your vacation you can use the credo that comes with your travel humidor by wetting the element inside with either distilled water or preferably PG solution. You can get PG solution at most cigar places or here on the CP site:

PG solution sold by Rod

Beads in a tube. Problem solved. I keep my tube in the bottom (though I have a smaller travel humi) and it works great.

Thanks for the fast replies everyone. It's only been like 7 minutes. Wow is all I can say. I will get another half inch tube from heartfelt industries.

Boveda packs and even the humipacks from a Fuente box works well for me. I've taken two 1 week trips and during my second, I didn't even bring along a humidifying device.
The otter boxes are air tight and if your cigars are properly humidified prior to putting them in, they should stay fine for a while.

...sssshhhh...a device to replace the existing disc in the lid will be available VERY soon...ssshhh...(Heartfelt already "pre-ordered" some as well). :thumbs:

~Mark

I've only got a 5 stick otterbox, but I just added about 3 drops of PG solution to the disk that comes in the lid of the box and had no problem whatsoever!

I will be upgrading to a bigger otter box VERY soon tho. :)

I have found that with Otter boxes, they usually hold the humidity fine for around 5 days as long as your cigars are healthy when you put them in. I tried a crystals tube, the ones you soak in water that expand into gel, and my humidity went up to 84%! Not good. I have a model 5000 cigar caddy, and the tube was for a 50ct and below. So I went without and it stayed in the 66-68% range for 5 days before falling off.

I will be investing in even more of Vipers wonderful 65% beads for my Cigar Caddy for longer trips, and piece of mind.

Bill