• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidipucks

pj_rage

Novice Cigar Smoker
For those of you using the humidipuck, are you having good results?

Mine haven't been working so good...

I have three 70% RH ones now. 2 tall and one short. I have one large in a humi that is about 10" x 12" x 6" that is new and has a good seal. It was seasoned for 30 hours or so, and was holding RH at about 68-70% for the first month or so that I used the puck, then, it started falling a percent every few days until it was at around 62%. I charged it and it didn't seem to affect it. So, now the humidity level is at around 60% or so with just the large puck (charged according to instructions). I have resorted to adding a small tealight candle holder half full of distilled water as an open container in at all times, and I have to refill this small amount of water every 2 weeks or so. This keeps the RH at more like 65%, sometimes a little higher (up to 68%, never more). I have a glass top on the humi so I monitor RH without opening it, and when I do open it, I'm very concious to select quickly and not leave it open long at all. It opens maybe once a week for 15 seconds or less.

I have another humi that is about 8" x 10" x 4-5". This one held good RH (70%) with just a large puck in it, for about 2-3 weeks, then, started dropping, now at 60% (verified with 2 hygrometers). I added my small puck to this one in an effort to bring the RH back up, to no avail, it made no effect at all. I even charged the HELL out of the pucks and put both back in, and it still did not effect the RH. I did just add some new sticks to this humi which could be part of the reason (it may still be adjusting), but I have to say I'm a little concerned that the pucks aren't working properly.

Considering both humis/pucks are doing the same thing, basically working properly for a month, then holding 60% instead of 70%, there must be something going on? For the first month in both humis, there were less cigars than there currently are, which I suppose could affect the RH, but isn't the point to even out after time (the first humi I mentioned has had the present amount of sticks in it for at least 1.5 months).

I am currently using the 65% puck in my Otter Box model# 5000, and it is holding rock steady. Of course, we are talking plastic compared to cedar.

Bill

Place the humipucks back into the humidors/coolidors.

Place a shot glass full of distilled water and let the humidor/cigars/beads absorb the water. It should even itself out in a cple days.

I have a shory humipuck on my traveldor otterbox that sits at 65% ..I even left it out in the trunk of the car in 90 degree weather for a cple days and it held its own.

Place the humipucks back into the humidors/coolidors.

Place a shot glass full of distilled water and let the humidor/cigars/beads absorb the water. It should even itself out in a cple days.

I have a shory humipuck on my traveldor otterbox that sits at 65% ..I even left it out in the trunk of the car in 90 degree weather for a cple days and it held its own.

Either you have introduced something to absorb moisture, have a seal problem, or your beads require moisture. The beads are a constant. If they're charged, they aren't the problem.

I am running a 70% tall puck in my 100 ct desktop that has is now pretty full and it holds 70% consistantly. I have been using it since they came out and I couldn't be happier! I agree with a seal issue more then likely. I even just introduced a large amount of cigars into mine and with only a slight drop for a couple days is on par for RH. Hope you get it straightened out. I doubt its the puck & beads causing the problem.

I run a 70% puck in my 32ct otter and a 65% puck in my 50ct otter and both work excellent.

As the other posters have suggested, there must be another factor contributing to the problem, bad seal or something. All my buddies out here use pucks as well and they perform flawlessly.

Hi PJ Rage,
I had a problem when I first started. No cigars in my 32 count otterbox and the humidity was first too low, then out of control (!?!) at about 79% RH. With some cigars in the otterbox, it leveled out to 65% (with the humidipuck of the same rh) and then later 70%. This too with an older Dunhill travelling humidor (which held perhaps 10 cigars at best).

Like Smurf said, moisture, seal lock or lack of moisture absorbing cigars are your biggest culprits.

You'll get it under control soon enough.... :thumbs:

Darren

Yeah, I hope I do get it under control. I guess if they are that reliable there must be something else wrong. The first humi I spoke is brand new, only used with the humidipuck, for about 2 months now, maybe more. I'm just disappointed that it won't hit 70%. I can't imagine that the seal is shot since it is new?

Also, the other humi having the same problem, what are the odds that both seals are gone?

I guess I'll keep an eye on it for the next few months and hope it improves. Otherwise I'll just keep open containers in with the pucks to keep them stable *shrug*

EDIT: Just wanted to add that, if something were in fact absorbing the moisture (bad seal or whatever), wouldn't the pucks dry out very quickly? Everytime I check them, they are charged right up (lots of clear, some white), showing no evidence of drying out very quickly. (This was before the open container also).

May be a dumb question, but have you calibrated your hygrometer?

I bought a new Hygrometer and it was a few % off when I measured it against a "Humidi-Pak".

Sorry for not replying sooner as I just saw this!

The "short" Humidi-Puck will regulate humidity in a container approx 405 cu in. and the "tall" Humidi-Puck will regulate humidity in a container approx 1080 cu in.

Your large humidor measures 720 cu in and the smaller one measures 360 cu in.

There a couple of things that could have an effect.

1.) The seals on the humidor aren't very good. I doubt this is the problem but the humidor could have warped when you "seasoned" it. This warping would effect the seal.

Did you wipe the interior down with water or did you place a bowl of water in the humidor?

Also, 30 hours isn't very long for a "seasoning" but you said it's been stead 70% for a month prior to using the Humidi-Puck. If that's the case, then it's something else.

2.) The number of times you open your humidor will effect the RH readings. If you open it 25 times a day, then the ambient humidity can greatly effect the humidity in the closed container.

3.) Adding cigars can greatly effect your relative humidity in your humidor. Cigars will absorb moisture which will lower your RH.

My best guess...is a combination of things:

1.) Because both Humidi-Pucks are displaying a similar performance, your ambient climate is on the dry side. So, everytime you open and close your humidor (or add cigars, or have a slight sealing issue). The Humidi-Pucks are releasing moisture to compensate. You said that they worked fine for a month before dropping, this leads me to believe that because of your climate, you will have to re-hydrate more frequently (ie once a month, maybe longer - see #2 below).

2.) Since you say you added cigars, I think that this is also contributing to the lowering of the RH.

3.) Are the Humidi-Pucks in the same exact location as the hygrometer? RH levels can very greatly from side to side and top to bottom in a humidor.

Hope this helps and please let me know if I can be of any further assistance!

~Mark Neff
www.HumidiPuck.com

To season the humi, I wiped down all the cedar with a sponge/distilled water to dampen it, and left an open container of distilled water in for the entire time.

I have two hygrometers that measure the exact same thing. I should calibrate them, I suppose, but the analog and the digital measure the exaxt same number so I figured that they are accurate. I will calibrate them asap though to verify.

It probably is very dry in my apt, as I always have the A/C on. I never let it get humid in the house, I hate that... I'm not a cigar :p

I'm still wondering why my humipucks don't appear to dry out very quickly. If there are lots of clear beads left, that means they are charged, right? I would think with the rate that the humi is absorbing the open container water that the beads would be drying out like crazy?

The small humi, just as an experiment, has had the small AND the tall humi in there for 2 weeks now. It reads 60% everytime I check. These two pucks together should cover almost 1500 cu in, and the humi is less than 400! I was upset with this 5 days ago or so, so I sprayed the beads themselves, then SOAKED the sponge, put them both back in, and checked it yesterday, still 60%, LOL. I don't get it!

I also, rarely open my humis, like I said, the bigger one is open for about 15 seconds per week. The small one I have been opening once every few days for 5 sec to check the humidity level (not glass top) and then closing immediately.

In the larger humi, the puck is below the top tray, on top of the cigars in the bottom, and the hygrometer is sitting on the top tray. In the smaller humi, the 2 pucks are sitting on top of the cigars that are in it, and the hygrometer is on the lid, almost touching the pucks when the humi is closed.

The bigger humi hasn't had cigars added in a while, but the smaller one had about 10 added recently, but, before adding them, it was reading 60%, after adding them, it still reads 60%, verified with both hygrometers, before and after adding the sticks.

Like I said, I'll let the smaller one even out a few more weeks with the new sticks and keep an eye on it, but the bigger one holds my better smokes and I am leaving the open container in there to at least keep it at 64% where it has been the last week with the open container.

I really hope it isn't the seals, I don't want to buy two new humis when I just got these ones!!

And I'll calibrate the hygrometers with the salt test when I get back from vacation and report back the results...

Thanks for the feedback guys!

We have revised the product name, the new name is "The Puck"

Please visit www.GetThePuck.com to find an authorized retailer!

~Mark
www.Cigarmony.com
www.GetThePuck.com