• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidity level i a Humi?

Azon

I have a "real" humidor in cedar. Its about 35 cigar´s in size and i wonder what level i would go for in this one?
  • 60 %
  • 65 %
  • 70 %
  • 75 %
I got 62-65 in it now. But the humification system is a Premier system from climmax and it says it will work at 70 % but i can anlone get it to work at 62-65 %.

Earlier i had it in a tuppidor and then it worked at 70 % as it said. Is it that a big of a difference in a cederlined humi?

Sorry for my gramatic´s and spelling. :D
Im the Swedish cheif you know!

and i'm the most irish person you can find.

so, about humidity level, eh?

i like to keep mine at about 65.
in my humble opinion, i find that 70 is a bit too high, esp if you plan to keep the cigars for long term storage. also, cuban cigars don't seem to respond as well to the higher humidity.

the thing is if you keep it at 70, it might go too high by accident, and it could cause mold to form or other stuff, which normally would form at around 75-80, i think, after a while, that is.

but that's just me.

spanish cedar is arund because it generally regulates the humidity level. it could eventually pass on some aroma or flavor to the cigars... but i doubt it.

any fogs wanna correct me?

You probably aren't getting up to 70% right now because the dry cedar is sucking up a lot of the RH - just give it a little while for the beads to work.

Put a shot glass of water in there until it hits the level you want. I keep all my cigars at %65 because I feel they smoke better. Now someone in the desert might like their cigars at %70. Try your cigars at different levels and judge for yourself.

Emo

It will take a while for the cedar to absorb moisture.

One thing I used to do was put distilled water in a spray bottle and spray the cedar and wipe the excess off with a towel.

That will get your humidity up to 70 real fast.

try not to wipe it down if possible.

sometimes, you can make hte wood rise, and kind of ruin the humidor.

do the shotglass thing.

however, if you do plan to wipe it down, make sure you use some type of cloth, because paper towels just don't cut it.

the paper will tear.

and the cloth with have a brown stain on it.

coventrycat86 said:
It will take a while for the cedar to absorb moisture.

One thing I used to do was put distilled water in a spray bottle and spray the cedar and wipe the excess off with a towel.

That will get your humidity up to 70 real fast.
I wiped the interior cedar with distilled water as i should be done by the instruction and i place a wet cloth in ther for 12 hours and then put my humidifier in hter with the gars....

it was a bout 2 weeks ago and its still 60-65 %, should it take this long time for the cedar to absorb?

Thanx for the quick reply´s!!!

:D

no it shouldn't.

maybe you just need to add more water to the premiere system?

i dunno.

mine never got above 67.

65 is a good level!

*editor's note: every time i look at that sig of yours, it makes me wanna watch some nice hot chicks walk by while i smoke my cigars.
either that or stab things .

Take the cigars out and add the shot glass(don't spill the water), put the humi in a trash bag. Put a wet paper towel in a plastic bag and toss it in the trash bag. Tie up the bag abd let it sit. Trust me, the humidity will shoot up. Also, one more thing, make sure you calibrate your meter. You could be at %70 and the meter is just wrong.

Emo

i had a hell of a time with my rh level.took a while to get the humidor to stay at 65% by its self. then i would add cigars and it would throw it off. cigars are usualy shipped a bit wet, so when i would stick them right in the humi, it would spike the rh.

so i learned to use a dry box for a few days, then put them in the humi. but now that i have the climax beads, all is well and easy! i love those things, the only way to go...

and i find that 65% is perfect for down here in south texs, at 70 i have to relite several times.

I find that the Climmax beads will not get to 70% in a wood humidor like they do in a coolidor. There is just enough air transfer that keeps the beads from attaining 70%. I use the beads in my humidors and they run 65-68%.

One other thing to check is the seal on your humidor. Take a small flashlight, put it in your humidor with the light on. Close the humidor and turn the room lights off. If you can see light coming out of the humidor you don't have a good seal.

do the 65% beads or the 70? i have the 65,and all 2 humidors and coolerdor are right on the button 65%..

A lot of good advice here on what to check. The very first thing you must verify is your hygrometer. Once you know if it is correct you can then proceed to check for other possible problems. I will tell you that you need to do one thing at a time so as to eliminate the possibility that you have more than one problem.

1) Do a Salt test on your Hygrometer. Know how it is reading (high, low, or spot on)

2) Now take your humidifyer out of the Humidor and place it and your hygrometer in a sealed enviroment. If you are going to use baggies make sure to double bag it. The best is a glass jar that can be sealed. Make sure to leave this undisturbed for a min of 6 to 8 hours. 24 hours would be better.

3) If the two test above go well you now know that neither of them are the problem. Place your humidifyer and hygrometer back in the humi and leave it undisturbed for a min of 8 to 12 hours. 24 would be better. Do not open the humidor. If you have to open your humidor to read the hygrometer, leave it for 24 hours before checking. If you can not get the humidity to rise to the level you want at this point you most likely have a bad seal. (that is if the humidor has been properly seasoned)

Hope that helps. :thumbs:

To add a thought, I used to place my humidors in a cooler with a bowl of distilled water and leave it shut for 3 or 4 days. The humidor would suck in quite q bit of water! It would usually be at 75% when I took it out. Let it sit for a day with no humidifier in it and it would usually drop to 70%, load it up with stogies and let it sit for a day or 2 and KaBam! She held fine. :thumbs:

You guy´s are great. So many good advice in this short time :D :thumbs:

I will try some of your advice tonight.
THe thing is that i had this humification system in a tuppidor before and both the hygrometer and the humification system where spot on 70 %...

So i think i have to work on the humidor.

I will tell you later how it´s going.

All of these ideas are great and most I have used. The main thing is to insure your meter is accurate. I found that regular cedar lined humidors can drive you crazy. The sad thing is after years (literally years) of fighting with my over priced humidor, I learned about the coolerdor. I built one for a fraction of price, and it regulates with no headaches. I also started using this 50/50 solution (the name of which now escapes me) with distilled water and it regulates where I set it, solid for months.

By the way I set mine at 70% no less then 68%. This allows me to take a cigar with me to dinner, and by the time dinner is over and after dinner drinks are served my cigar is perfect.

All a matter of personal taste.

M3

maduro357 said:
All a matter of personal taste.
Thats right i must say. Taste are so individual. Its good, think if everybody liked the same thing... what a sad world. :D