• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor and Hygrometer help :-)

ToscanoCigarLova'

I know,I know... Me & my infused sticks...
IMG_9119.JPG IMG_9120.JPG Hello everyone :)

My father bought me a Madison 3 tier 120 cigar count humidor I seasoned it with Distilled Water for a week & 1/2. I don't go by the analog hygrometer and use a Wal-Mart bought digital hygrometer. Didn't feel like salt testing and fiddling around with analog hygrometer so I just added the digital I bought at Wal-Mart. It's been staying around 68-70 humidity with FESS 2oz humidity jar. I have about 65 cigars so far. I left the plastic sauce container filled with distilled water in with FESS 2oz humidity jar only for 2 days to keep it up a bit (Humidity) then removed. So only the 2oz humidity jar is in now maintaining still 68-70 in humidity read on the digital. All the cigars seem good to the touch I inspected them all. Firm but not squishy and also not brittle and Dry. Then... I grabbed a Macanudo Inspirado Robusto. I unwrapped from cellophane and lit it. It's firm and oily not Dry but the smoke seemed really white and seemed like it would go out if I didn't puff every 30 seconds it also a little bit started burning shorter on one side and just seemed like the taste wasn't what the reads say on the info I read about them. My question is does anyone have one of those Acu Rite digital hygrometers? Are they pretty accurate(link below) and also I'm hoping leaving distilled water in humidor with 2oz humidity jar over humidified some cigars. They all seemed ok to look and feel maybe I purchased a bad Macanudo Inspirado 5 pack. I don't know maybe I'm panicking I ruined some cigars a bit even know the humidity reads 68-70 every time I look. It's a pretty sizable humidor so I don't think a small plastic sauce cup of distilled water for a short time with a 2oz 70% humidity solution would be that bad. I may buy another digital hygrometer & put in there with the acu rite just to be sure. I'm pretty neurotic lol hopefully maybe a bad stick or maybe just oily cigar. Below is the link of the hygrometer I have (Acu Rite) and another to show the other digital I will buy just to be sure. Sorry for the long post thank you to you all :)

Digital Hygrometer I have now:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/AcuRite-Digital-Humidity-and-Temperature-Comfort-Monitor-00619HD/202260980

Digital Hygrometer I will buy next as a just incase one above is off:

https://www.cigarsinternational.com...r-iv-hygrometer-hygrometers/1494993/#p-179360

Last edited:
I have an older acurite that just sits on my desk at work now.

For backup in my cabinet I have a pair of the xikar digital hygrometers.

They can be had for pretty cheap off of Amazon.

Instead of that little jar, get you some Heartfelt beads. They have calculators on their site to get you the proper amount of beads.

First, get the beads....one of the best investments you can make for your cigars
Second, salt test both the digital and analog hygrometers.

you have to know if there is a deviation.

Last humidity is a personal preference, but I like mine down to the 65-67 range, but there are some cigars that just need a bit more or a bit less.
Smoke and note...best way to figure it all out.
Only change one variable at a time.

T

Ok beads it is will order some now :) I already have 2 big bottles of xikar 50/50 solition which I was gonna refill the empty FESS 2oz jars with when gel runs out in them. But seems the beads are super popular (heartfelt) so I'll go get some of those. Thanks for all the advice

Ok beads it is will order some now :) I already have 2 big bottles of xikar 50/50 solition which I was gonna refill the empty FESS 2oz jars with when gel runs out in them. But seems the beads are super popular (heartfelt) so I'll go get some of those. Thanks for all the advice
Get rid of that 50/50 garbage ASAP! Use distilled water ONLY. The only additive I can say is worth using is colloidal silver. The colloidal silver prevents mold. There's a couple posts on how much to mix with your distilled water. Use search, you'll find them.

C

Ok :) CMontoya so you don't like the Heartfelt beads eiether just distilled water?
I'll look up the anti mold stuff too thanks

Ok :) CMontoya so you don't like the Heartfelt beads eiether just distilled water?
I'll look up the anti mold stuff too thanks

No, use the distilled water with the silver on the beads, this is what he is saying, lol.

I can't remember who mentioned it further up the thread, but you'll want to salt test your hygrometers. I've found that every hygro I've purchased needed some tweaking.

Also - I have a similar humidor and I ended up purchasing some cedar shelving planks and put them on the bottom of the humidor to help maintain the humidity. With as much glass as our humidors have, it's helpful to add a extra cedar to act as a moisture buffer especially when/if the AC and or heater kicks on and start sucking the moisture out of the air. I struggled with that this winter.

I've also found that Boveda packs are a great way to go as well. Simple and easy.

Just my two cents.

Hey pals :)

I figured for now since wife bought the FESS 2oz Humidity gel stuff and two bottles of the Xikar refill solution. I better not push it lol $ buying more stuff, I'll try this for now especially after a big sticks order :•O

But the weird thing is if I remember correctly the add I bought from said Xikar 2oz jars of the jelly like humidity stuff. And Xikar 16oz bottle of solution. My question is this... I guess the FESS is the same gel stuff or similar to Xikar jars. So I'm hoping the Xikar Solution I can use to refill this FESS gel 2oz jars when that gets low? Sorry for all the questions I know I'm a pain :-/

Products I have:

Xikar Solution:
IMG_9127.JPG
FESS Crystal Humidity 70% Gel
IMG_9128.JPG

Hopefully I can refill with Xikar Solution :-/

Hey pals :)

I figured for now since wife bought the FESS 2oz Humidity gel stuff and two bottles of the Xikar refill solution. I better not push it lol $ buying more stuff, I'll try this for now especially after a big sticks order :•O

But the weird thing is if I remember correctly the add I bought from said Xikar 2oz jars of the jelly like humidity stuff. And Xikar 16oz bottle of solution. My question is this... I guess the FESS is the same gel stuff or similar to Xikar jars. So I'm hoping the Xikar Solution I can use to refill this FESS gel 2oz jars when that gets low? Sorry for all the questions I know I'm a pain :-/

Products I have:

Xikar Solution:
View attachment 16313
FESS Crystal Humidity 70% Gel
View attachment 16314

Hopefully I can refill with Xikar Solution :-/
Since you spent $$$ and you have sticks on order, or already delivered, don't you want to protect that investment? PG is an additive. Distilled water and collodial silver are the way to go. One jar of humidification gel is not likely to meet your needs for the humidor you have.

Have it on its way heartfelt large round bead container and Colloid silver to mix a bit,correct ratio in distilled water jug. Then I'll use syringe to put distilled water/colloid silver mix into heartfelt round large bead container :) thank you all for all your knowledge/advice/help. Good group over here! Also other hygrometer on its way to me to be salt tested then I should be good.