• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor Boost

duglynukem

Nuclear Advocate
Here in the midwest humidity is all over the place depending on the season or your thoughts on "Global Warming". So I'm having a whole house humidifier installed. Anyone else try this?

I'm sure you already know this... Be careful with humidifying your house, especially if you go much above 60%. Mold may begin to grow, and drywall joints can pop. :)

Rod said:
I'm sure you already know this... Be careful with humidifying your house, especially if you go much above 60%. Mold may begin to grow, and drywall joints can pop. :)
Good point. I was more concerned about deleterious effects on my guns....

If you don't mind me asking what humidifier are you going with?

A Honeywell Power Humidification system. I have an electronic air filtration so I needed one that attaches to the outlet.

Paul, what do you think about the tru steam? It was all the craze here for a while, but not any more.

The humidifier is being installed today, but I'm on the road in Omaha. I'll have more info Thursday when I get home - Doug

thefatguy said:
Paul, what do you think about the tru steam? It was all the craze here for a while, but not any more.

Like you know I do large commercial work but I have done some side jobs here and there where people wanted them. I have put 4 in with no issues yet. The seem to work best if the water quality entering them is really god. Hard water will destroy them quickly. Have you had issues?

duglynukem said:
The humidifier is being installed today, but I'm on the road in Omaha. I'll have more info Thursday when I get home - Doug

Good luck with it Doug and let us know what you got.

I've got one installed in my house.  Not sure what the brand is, but RH is maintained around 50% in the winter.  I find I need to recharge by beads very infrequently.

I have one of these, but it's an older model, also from Honeywell.  Honestly, I don't find that it makes a whole lot of difference.  That's just me though.  Have had to have it fixed twice too.

Hey Paul it's a Honeywell model HE 300A 1005 power humidifier. It is installed directly onto the supply (hot) air duct. I have it set at 40% for now, but with all the rain I don't think I need it.

Very nice units I have worked on several. Just make sure you replace the evap pads ever 6 months to yearly to avoid any bacteria and growth that will cause sickness. 

Tall Paul said:
Very nice units I have worked on several. Just make sure you replace the evap pads ever 6 months to yearly to avoid any bacteria and growth that will cause sickness. 
Thanks. Will do.

duglynukem said:
Hey Paul it's a Honeywell model HE 300A 1005 power humidifier. It is installed directly onto the supply (hot) air duct. I have it set at 40% for now, but with all the rain I don't think I need it.
Re reading this I now have a concern. The unit should be mounted to the return duct and the duct pipe that comes off the side of the honeywell unit should duct over and tap in on the supply duct. If you can snap a pic and send it to me.

Since I have an electronic air cleaner on the cold air return I had to have a powered humidifier mounted on the hot air duct. The humidifier fan draws air through the pad and back into the duct. According to the instructions the bypass model flows from the cold air return through the humidifier to the hot air supply.

I'll get a pic out to you