• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor care - starting over

martinman

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm glad I found the forum - lots of good info here! I received a thompson humidor for xmas a couple years ago (it probably holds 25-40 cigars). Without knowing any better, I've been struggling along and using the hydration instructions supplied with it. After viewing some of the threads on the forum, I realize that I've been going about it all wrong.

Most of the sticks I have are dried out after a long winter of poor caring... So, I'd like to start over and do it right. BTW, I realize that I can rehydrate them, but most that I have were given to me, and the others were the free pack of 25 I got with the humidor.

So, here's what I've gathered from the forum:

1. Wipe humidor out with damp towel
2. Put shot glass w/ distilled water for 5 days.
3. Get digital hydrometer (radio shack, or other)
4. Use beads in place of other humidification device.

Did I miss anything anything?

Now, about filling it with cigars - I must admit, I have a weakness for Drew Estates White Sage (Cojimar line). Yeah, I know - I'm not what you would call a 'traditional' cigar smoker. I assume I have to keep these separate from the others so as not to contaminate? BTW, if you cigar recommendations for a first timer let me know!!

Thanks!
MM

Welcome to CP! You'll love it here.

You've obviously done your homework. Goodonya for that. My only suggestions would be to make up a tupperdor for your DE's so they don't contaminate your non flavored sticks and don't bother wiping down the humi. Just put the shot glass in there with the beads and you'll be in good shape. Have fun and be sure and check out the Newbie Sampler Trade Thread :)

I assume that if I have more than one flavored cigar, that I would have to keep them separated, right?

When you say keep in a tupperware container, you mean outside of the humidor? Or will they beable to soak up the moisture in the humidor in the tupperware (forgive my noob question) :).

I don't think it matters if you store more then one type of flavored gars in the same humi or tupper. You may want to keep them sealed in separate ziplocks.

A tupperdor is nothing more then a tupperware or rubermaid container with some form of humidification. Perfect for flavored sticks. You would keep the tupper separate from your humi. Kind of a makeshift humi :)

martinman said:
[snapback]181658[/snapback]​

Yes. Get rid of the Thompson humidor and get a decent one! You'll find around here and other boards that Thompson's name is not held in high regard, especially for quality. Or you could always try a coolidor if you're not looking for display quality in your humidor. They work really well, and will hold an impressive number of cigars at a very low cost.

Welcome, and enjoy! And like others have said, get in on a newbie trade, you'll be happy you did.

Gonz said:
martinman said:

Yes. Get rid of the Thompson humidor and get a decent one! You'll find around here and other boards that Thompson's name is not held in high regard, especially for quality. Or you could always try a coolidor if you're not looking for display quality in your humidor. They work really well, and will hold an impressive number of cigars at a very low cost.

Welcome, and enjoy! And like others have said, get in on a newbie trade, you'll be happy you did.
[snapback]181717[/snapback]​

I've had a Thompson humi since December and it's behaved quite well.
Of course the "cigars" that came with it were probably from someone's backyard!

Jim

Gonz said:
martinman said:

Yes. Get rid of the Thompson humidor and get a decent one!

[snapback]181717[/snapback]​

Yeah. I found that while looking through the threads. However, I smoke vary rarly, and as long as my thompson holds the correct humidity, i'll be fine. I've already checked the seal by using the light test in a dark room (LED even). Everything checks out ok.

Thompson might not be the best for people who have lots-o-$$$ invested in their collection. Me, I buy maybe 20, and smoke them through the summer, and then go buy more.

martinman said:
Thompson might not be the best for people who have lots-o-$$$ invested in their collection. Me, I buy maybe 20, and smoke them through the summer, and then go buy more.
[snapback]181721[/snapback]​

Keep hanging around here and that'll change real fast! :D

Gonz said:
martinman said:
[snapback]181721[/snapback]​

Keep hanging around here and that'll change real fast! :D
[snapback]181723[/snapback]​

LOL.... yea, that's what I said, now I have a 54 Qt Iglodor and probably need a bigger one... Welcome to CP

lucasbuck said:
and don't bother wiping down the humi.  Just put the shot glass in there with the beads and you'll be in good shape. 
I completely agree with lucasbuck on this one, especially since your humi is so small, it'll suck up the humidity from a shot-glass of distilled water pretty quickly.
directly wiping spanish cedar just doesn't sound like a good idea to me, whether or not it "works".
...for the same reasons that I wouldn't mop a virgin/unsealed hardwood floor with a bucket full of water.
it just seems kinder to the wood to allow it to absorb moisture at its own pace.

but yeah, before you waste too much time trying to get your humi to be stable, check the seal to make sure it will hold humidity in the first place.

oh, and welcome to CP!