• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor Problems-Help

AZ Smoker

Hello All,

This is my first post as an official member! Love the site. I recently purchased a new 100 count humidor off cheaphumidors.com but I seem to be having issues keeping the humidity levels up. I seasoned it by wiping it down with distilled water and leaving the sponge in the humidor (on a piece of plastic of course) and let it sit for 24 hours and then took the sponge out and wiped it down and again and let it sit for another 24 hours.

I currently have 2 crystals jars that I believe will will support 50 sticks each and have another drymist tube in there. I also have the foam pieces that attach to the top of the lid that came long with it. I have a digital hygramometer as well as the analog one that I calibrated. I currently have about 30 sticks in the humidor.

Here is my problem, I can't get the humidity level past 67 according to the digital meter while the calibrated analog meter says 75ish. Which one would you think is accurate? If it is in fact 67, should I be concerned?

I hope this make sense, am I just being to anal about this or should I worry?

I welcome your thoughts!

Well you have to calibrate the digital as well. So if you haven't that yet I would do that. Also, I have never been able to get an accurate reading from an analog. One should be good, I would actually just use the digital one.

If it is actually at 67, that will be fine. From the sounds of it though you have too many humidification systems.

But like I said, if it is at 67% go ahead and put your cigars in the thing and enjoy them.

Good luck!

Agreed...67% is fine...I usually prefer to keep my humidors between 63% to 65% rH. Definitley go with the digital hygrometer as analog hygrometers aren't worth a damn. More decorative than anything else. However, from the sound of your setup, I agree with CigarDins...it sounds like you have too many humdiification systems going on. Arizona is pretty dry though, so that could be the reason why you need as many as you have.

My suggestion would be to recalibrate the digital hygrometer using a salt test, or preferably a Boveada Calibration Packet. After that...then see what your humidor reads. Also being only 30% full, you should expect some fluctuation when you add new cigars of take some out.

Good luck!

Agreed...67% is fine...I usually prefer to keep my humidors between 63% to 65% rH. Definitley go with the digital hygrometer as analog hygrometers aren't worth a damn. More decorative than anything else. However, from the sound of your setup, I agree with CigarDins...it sounds like you have too many humdiification systems going on. Arizona is pretty dry though, so that could be the reason why you need as many as you have.

My suggestion would be to recalibrate the digital hygrometer using a salt test, or preferably a Boveada Calibration Packet. After that...then see what your humidor reads. Also being only 30% full, you should expect some fluctuation when you add new cigars of take some out.

Good luck!

Great! Thanks for thefeedback! I just order the cailbration packet.

67 is good. Just quit peeking in your humi like a kid on Xmas. Let the humidity regulate...

Also, hit up Viper139 and get some beads for your humi!

67 is good. Just quit peeking in your humi like a kid on Xmas. Let the humidity regulate...

Also, hit up Viper139 and get some beads for your humi!

I've read about the beads, what makes them different/better than the jars? How many would I need for 100 count humi? Thanks ree ree!

Viper will help you with those questions. or visit here http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/default.asp

the beads will put out the RH you need, or if you have too much humidity, it will suck up the moisture to regulate it. I just purchased two of these. it is medium sized used for humi over 100 count.

HBC_M_65-1.jpg

Viper will help you with those questions. or visit here http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/default.asp

the beads will put out the RH you need, or if you have too much humidity, it will suck up the moisture to regulate it. I just purchased two of these. it is medium sized used for humi over 100 count.

HBC_M_65-1.jpg
Great thanks! I'll contact Viper139 and order some.

x2 on the beads from Viper. Once I switched to them I never looked back. The only thing I didn't like about them was that they took up space when I was using a 100 count desktop. But if you do some searching on these forums you'll see wher people have even modified the built in sponges in their desktops and replaced them with beads to save room. Good luck!