• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor problems

moki

el Presidente
I've noticed that some of my cigars will get a light dusting on the ends that looks like mold... any idea what this could be? I keep the humidor clean, and use only distilled water in the humidifying element. I'm at a loss, I don't want my cigars to get damaged...

Lumberg said:
do a search on bloom vs. mold on google.
okay, I found something describing what it is, but not how to properly deal with it/get rid of it?

moki said:
Lumberg said:
okay, I found something describing what it is, but not how to properly deal with it/get rid of it?
what type of element are you using for humidification? If the mold is only on the surface, wipe it off and they should be fine... If f it gets into the tobacco they are ruined ... Try placing them away from the device..

Also, the humi device may need to be replaced, and also wipe down the inside of the humi.

WilliesFivers said:
moki said:
Lumberg said:
what type of element are you using for humidification? If the mold is only on the surface, wipe it off and they should be fine... If f it gets into the tobacco they are ruined ... Try placing them away from the device..

Also, the humi device may need to be replaced, and also wipe down the inside of the humi.
The only places I've seen any mold at all is on the very tips of a few cigars that I had in a separate box. It was my "overflow" box, and to keep things moist in there, I had just a wet paper towel.

Lifting that up, I can see mold under the paper towel, so that's there it started for sure. I cut the ends off of the cigars where I saw any mold, and have them in quarantine now -- we'll see how they do.

yup quarantine the cigars completely and clean the container thoroughly if you ever plan to use it for cigars again.

they key to mold prevention is to keep humidity and temperature lower than 70/70.

Thank Lumberg. I took your advice; got a new humidor (which I needed anyway), carefully inspected the cigars before transferring them over, cut the foot of the cigars that had started to mold (was very mild anyway) and have them in quarantine.

Pray for them tonight, if you would. :)

my problem is getting mine at 70% now. They Hover around 58 to 63, shows how far off my Analog Hygrometer was since I got a nice digital.