• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor Repair

SamuraiJack

I have had a few humidors now, and examined some friends'. A common issue seems to be when the cedar "slats" (that go down into the box or up into the lid to improve the seal) start to warp, loosen and separate from the inside of the lid or box.

I have seen some mention gluing them back on. I am thinking trying small wood screws (from the inside of the slats).

Just wanted to see if folks have any success with this type of repair. Or any other repairs for that matter.

I have had a few humidors now, and examined some friends'. A common issue seems to be when the cedar "slats" (that go down into the box or up into the lid to improve the seal) start to warp, loosen and separate from the inside of the lid or box.

I have seen some mention gluing them back on. I am thinking trying small wood screws (from the inside of the slats).

Just wanted to see if folks have any success with this type of repair. Or any other repairs for that matter.

The question is why are the "slats" warping in the first place? Are they being constantly wiped down with water? 70 percent humidity should not cause cedar to warp, but excessive moisture will. If they are warping then gluing them won't work as you don't have a true flat piece to attach to the inside of the humi. Rather, you would wind up with a curved side. On the other hand if you have to, some wood glue that does not leave an odor of any kind would be my choice over ever using screws to keep the sides in place.

I call this type of humidor a "box in a box" type. The pieces float to allow some expansion and contraction on the inner box, while not affecting the structural integrity of the outer box. Glueing the inner cedar to the outer hard wood would hinder this. To what degree, I wouldn't guess.

I have straightened warped wood with water and weight. Leaving the weight on the wood until it is completely dry. This can change the dimensions of the wood, and the pieces may or may not go back into the outer box as they originally did. I suppose it all depends on your sense of adventure.

If the box is holding humidity, I would be tempted to leave well enough alone.

Another option is to look for a real good deal on the same humi on ebay. Perhaps one that the exterior is
trashed, but the inner cedar components are sound. Buy it, and replace the cedar.

Just the first thoughts that came to me.

Good luck with this. :)

Yea, buy a new humi, I know. But its fun to fiddle with crap.

Not sure its warping I guess, more just coming loose. I figure they put them in there tightly, so after a while just the force of opening/closing the lid makes them shift.

In that case, is re-seasoning it an option for you? I have had boxes that displayed some loose components that tightened up after a week or two with a shot glass full of water in them.
Sometimes, I take a lightly damp rag to the lip portion (inner and outer) an additional two or three times.

Another technique I've applied to box in box humidors. This works great if the bottom lip is too far away from the upper lip, when the lid is closed. I take out all the bottom half's cedar. You have to be careful if the poly is built up at the inner corners. Then I use either cedar dividing sheets, or if neccessary, the cedar wraps that come on cigars. I lay them flat on the bottom, effectively creating shims to raise the cedar "floor" of the humi. This in turn raises the side panels, effectively raising the bottom lip, improving the seal (gap) between the body and lid.

edit for spelling and additional info

Put your humidor in a cooler, you won't have any problem after that! ;)

Actually, it is :) I just havent been regulating the RH in the vinotemp. In fact the high RH in the cooler was the problem. But I threw in some silica litter and it seems to have stabilized well enough. I just noticed that the lids were not as tight as they used to be, and sure enough the slats are loosening a bit.
IMGP2462.jpg

Back