• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor stays at 75% RH

snapperhead

Banned
I have a 40ct humidor that I seasoned in and calibrated the hygrometer to 75% RH with the salt test. The humidor is stored in a approximate 70 degrees F but I can not get the hygrometer to read less than 75% RH. I do not want to open the humi for a hour or so and keep doing that every day. I am hoping that someone might have had the same problem and can give me a answer. I would hate to lose my secret stash due to my mistake. Below is the method that I used to season everything.

Humi Season Meathod:
Took a bowl of distilled water and let it sit in the humi for a day, cleaned out the junk from the humi and then got a clean new sponge and doused it with distilled water and rang it out until it was lightly damp. I then wiped down the entire humi and the wood did not change color from the sponge wipe down. I then let the hygrometer sit out for 3 hours and then reinstalled it and closed up the humi for a day. After 24 hours it was reading 70% RH but after putting in @ 35 stogies and letting them sit for a week I went to get one and the hygrometer was reading 75% RH. I put in a different humistone and it still stays at 75% RH. Wondering if anyone has a hint of what I am /did wrong. I would like to keep it at @68-79% RH.

Hygrometer Test Meathod:
Placed the hygrometer in a plastic bag along with a tablespoon of salt in a lid that had some distilled water in it to make it look like wet sand. I let it sit for 8-10 hours and came back and it was reading 80% RH and then I adjusted it down to 75% RH. After adjusting it I let it sit out for 4 hours to acclimate to room temp and then put it back into the bag. After waiting 8 hours I checked it again and it was reading 70% RH. Installed it into the humi.

Humistone season method:
Put a cup of distilled water in a measuring cup and put the humistone in there completely submerged for 3 mins. I removed it from the distilled water and shook the excess water out and then wiped it dry with paper towels. Installed it into the humi.

???

Are you using a digital or analog device?

From my experience the analog gives readings all of the spectrum. Trying using the search feature for threads about similiar problems.

Good luck with getting your problem "stabilized."

I am using an analog gauge and I did not want to open and shut, open and shut the humi. I often have to travel for a week or so and do not want to worry about them. I have read some of the post about the same topic but wanted to get a collective opinion on the techniques I used to season the humi and everything asso with it.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. But I thought when doing the salt test, if your hygrometer read 75%, it was spot on. So by adjusting it to 70%, you will always be 5% low.

So your reading of 75% is actually 80%. At least thats my understanding. You may want to rerun your salt test again.

As an aside though, what hygrometer do you have, one like this?

Edit: Oh...its an analog. From what I have heard, they are less than accurate. I would recommend picking up a digital one soon.

Where are you located. Is the average humidity level above the 68%-70% you desire. It stands to reason that if the atmospheric RH% is above 70% then the humidity may be leaking in to your humi. Opening it up would make things worse.

I think it would anyway, I am not really sure how the whole RH% magic works, BFW I bought some beads and haven't had a problem since.

You can get where you want with your current setup, but it will require some time. If you don't want to leave the humi open until the RH stabilizes, your choices are limited.

If you want the best way to 65% with the least hassle, buy some 65% beads from Heartfelt Industries. If you buy a bit more than his calculator will indicate, you'll stabilize the humidor faster and require less periodic maintenance.

Most analog hygros are not accurate nor repeatable. If you're serious about the hobby, pick up a digital hygro from the same guy that has the beads.

Regards - B.B.S.

Sorry..I just edited my first post...using the salt test it was at 80% RH and I adjusted it back down to 75. I was looking at the beads for the humi but I saw a jell that released and absorbed on CI that was rechargeable.....Still looking into that option. As for the RH here....it fluctuates a lot, so I store it in a closet so it stays pretty stable.

I've owned 4 small desktop humidors over the course of my year in collecting cigars, swapping out/replacing unites etc until I found the one I own now. Take the advice from me -- do it right the first time. Get a digital and get the 65% Heartfelt beads. They are more than worth the price you pay to have the peace of mind for your smokes, knowing they are right where you want them. With the beads, keeping your desktop humi right at 65% is to easy. If you want it a little higher, you could try adding a humi pillow (~1$). If you are getting your RH to high, odds are you are using a humidifier to strong from whatever size humidor you have. But really, there is no way to know 100% what your RH is at if you don't use a digital that has been salt tested.

Just my .02 cents on small desktops...

I got this humi in VA at a thrift store, Liked the wood color and wanted one for a while. I am using this one for the time being until I get my dream one, a montecristo pyramid humidor. I plan on getting the elect hygrometer and beads but smokes came first this time as my neighbors smoke as well so I had to by some to share. Can't be stogie stingy.

Definantly grab yourself one of the calibratable digital hygro's with the calibration bag... My experiance with the analogue... its like using bubble gum as a ruler.