• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor Time

Flatstick

I am very new to all things cigar. It seems to me that if I put new sticks in the Humi for 6-8 weeks, they seems to mellow. Is this true? Or my imagination? New purchases seem to be quite peppery for the first 1/2 inch or so, but after a little humi rest, it seems to dissipate. Your thoughts?

Two factors in play; humidity and aging.

Many B&M's overhumidify their smokes. We can speculate on the reasosns, but I believe most think they are doing the end customer a favor. Lots of guys don't have anything more sophisticated than a plastic bag, so as the smokes dry out a bit, they smoke fine. When you put them in your humidor, after a few weeks, they are in much better shape RH wise, and probably smoke better.

Actual aging won't happen in a couple of weeks. At least a year, sometimes more, is required to cause much change in the flavor of a smoke. While smoke smokes age and tremendously benefit from some down time, some smokes don't. For example, Padron premium smokes (64's, 26's, etc.) are made from carefully aged tobaccos and are basically ready to go as soon as their RH stabilizes. Point here is that "it depends".....

Have fun - B.B.S.

I think what you are experiencing is like what science said, probably after 6-8 the rh is stable so it is at optimal flavor.

I'm too new to cigars to speak the lingo, but they do seem to change for the better with some humi time. In fact, I smoked one out of a new box and thought it was terrible, two months of humi rest and now they are very good/smooth. Thanks for the comments.

Two factors in play; humidity and aging.

Many B&M's overhumidify their smokes. We can speculate on the reasosns, but I believe most think they are doing the end customer a favor. Lots of guys don't have anything more sophisticated than a plastic bag, so as the smokes dry out a bit, they smoke fine. When you put them in your humidor, after a few weeks, they are in much better shape RH wise, and probably smoke better.

Actual aging won't happen in a couple of weeks. At least a year, sometimes more, is required to cause much change in the flavor of a smoke. While smoke smokes age and tremendously benefit from some down time, some smokes don't. For example, Padron premium smokes (64's, 26's, etc.) are made from carefully aged tobaccos and are basically ready to go as soon as their RH stabilizes. Point here is that "it depends".....

Have fun - B.B.S.

Newb question: If I buy Padróns online or at my local B&M, how long does it take for their RH to stabilize in my humidor? TIA

I'd suggest at least a week of rest but 2-3 would be better IMO. Just try one after a week and see if it's good for you or not.