• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor troubles

mtschust

Hi everyone, after buying my first cigar set at Cubancrafters I spilled a little water in my nre humidor. I towel dried it with a cloth and ran a hair dryer for a couple minutes. It looks to be fine. I also have a hygromerter that I cant get to work. The dial was not attached when it arrived so I attached in manually. The people at cubancrafters said to calibrate it, then manually adjust it to 75 in the humidor, and that would activate it again. Sounds wrong to me but I don't know. Also when I was breaking the box in I left it on top of my old console tv and it was probably warmer than it should have been. I soaked the humidifer with the 50/50 soulution from cubancrafters and let a shot glass of distilled water sit in the box for 10 hours. I used quite alot of solution, probalby 15% of the bottle. How did I do, and what kind of suggestions do you have for me? Also the cigars that came with the box were Don Kiki mild green and medium red. I think the red ones are pretty good, the greens I could definitley live without. I don't know if I want to get cubancrafters to send me another cheap hygrometer that doesnt work, so I asked them to suggest a digital.

I'd recommend tossing everything Cuban Crafters gave you with respect to a humidifying element and a hygrometer. But a decent digital one (I use a Diamond Crown that came with my humidor), do the salt test or check it with another known correct hygrometer, and buy beads from Viper (or something similar - diamond crown humidifier, boveda packs, humidipuck, etc). To my knowledge, no one really ever successfully gets an analog hygrometer working day to day. Also, it'll take more than 10hrs to season your humidor, at least 2 days. And you'll want a reliable hygrometer to tell you when you're actually done.

Hope that helps, all this information has been given time and time again, you can probably find what your looking for by searching the board (although that's never stopped me from asking questions that have been asked 50 times before... :))

Check out http://www.cigarpass.com/store/hygrometers.htm

I bought the digital hygrometer at the bottom of the page. Great round shape fits right in the cutout of most traditional humidors. Can't go wrong for $20. It is accurate to =/- 1%. Getting rid of the analog hygrometer was a great idea. I personally do not have much faith in the analog units.

We've sold many of these digital hygrometers:

DHYG-Round_02.jpg

The nice thing about this hygro is that you can actually change the battery, easily! I understand there are some digital hygrometers in which you must dispose of once the battery runs out. The one we sell has a cover which slides off, and just pop in a new battery and you're good for a few more years. I don't believe you'll find a better hygro for the money. I use them in my humi's, and they are very accurate!

Here's the link: http://www.cigarpass.com/store/hygrometers.htm

If you have any questions, feel free to post.

Thanks,
Rod

DHYG-Round_02.jpg

I'll go ahead and vouch for this one, got one for my buddy's .50 cal humidor and it tested perfect and continues to do well.

Also, it'll fit in most analog circle slots.

DHYG-Round_02.jpg

I'll go ahead and vouch for this one, got one for my buddy's .50 cal humidor and it tested perfect and continues to do well.

Also, it'll fit in most analog circle slots.

I will second that opinion. I got one from the CP Store and use it in my desk top. I periodically salt test it and it has never been more that 1 % off.

Wondering if there is a cheaper digital option.??
How cheap do you want to go on a couple $100 worth of cigars?

Get the beads from Heartfelt or the Puck from Cigarmony (I don't know if they are available yet though), and the Hygro from CP.

Not a lot of science required to use the items and fairly cheap considering what you spend to fill a humidor, doncha think?

Welcome to cigarpass. This place is a great resource. Use the advice you get here and you won't go wrong ;)

Looks like good product choices. I will check them out

I agree after what I have read. I am waiting on the digital hygrometer recommended in this thread. I have been charging my humidor now for 3 days but dont have any way to measure the humidity yet. Should I put my cigars in? They have been oit in the elements now for 4 days

I'm going to assume you have your cigars in ziplock bags waiting for the humi to get ready. If so, you are OK for a few more days as it takes some time to change the condition of your smokes while in a ziplock. If they are just sitting out then put them in a ziplock NOW. Being that it is summer there is enough humidity in the air you should be OK.

I agree after what I have read. I am waiting on the digital hygrometer recommended in this thread. I have been charging my humidor now for 3 days but dont have any way to measure the humidity yet. Should I put my cigars in? They have been oit in the elements now for 4 days

All of the above with this addition:

The humidor won't stabilize in hours (you mentioned waiting 10 hours). Look for Rh stability in terms of weeks.

The more you open and close the box, slop water around, play with the cigars, etc. the longer it will take to stabilize. Relax, though, the cigars will be fine in the meantime :p .