• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

humidors too humid?

Forge

I have two humidors.

- 300 count display humidor
I started out using two Humi-Care HX10 rectangular humidifiers and a shot glass with water to cure the humidor. It held at 75% humidity for 5 days (didn't wipe down the humidor) so I took the shot glass out. After 48 hours, humidity was still at 75% (verified with 3 salt tested digital hygrometers). I took some advice from members here and ordered the 65% heartfelt beads. Took several days to arrive, humidor still at 74-75%. I removed the gel from the HX10 humidifiers, and placed the heartfelt beads in the HX10 (using the nylon bag bought from heartfelt). Did this to both the HX10's, sprayed them with distilled water and let them sit till it absorbed. Placed both the humidifiers back in the humidor...... after 24 hours, at 74% humidity. I opened the humidor door for a bit till the hygrometers read 60%. Next day, its at 75% again. I took one of the HX10s out (leaving just one in the humidor), and after 14 hours, it at 73%. What am I doing wrong?

- 50 count capri humidor
Started out with a shot glass of water and 2 jars of 2oz humi-care crystal gel. Got it to hold at 75% for 5 days, took the shot glass out and it went to 67% for 3-4 days. I wanted to use the hearfelt beads, so I replaced the gel in the jars with the heartfelt beads. 24 hours later, the humidor is at 73%. Took the heartfelt beads out (so no humidifier in there), and its holding at 67% for the last 14 hours.

Do I need to give the hearfelt beads more time? Am I over thinking this? I have cigars in the mail and on the way, I only have 3-4 days until they get here, so I need to figure it out by then.

Thanks in advance for any help, I am stumped.

Step 1) Just relax.
Step 2) Sometimes the humidity can jump up when the heartfelt beads have just been hydrated. Did you follow the directions and only hydrate them until about 75-80% of the beads are transparent? You do want to have some opaque and white beads to regulate the humidity. If you let them absorb water until 100% of them are clear then you will get high humidity readings.
Step 3) Just give it some time to regulate. Your humi needs to settle in to its habitat and they also hold humidity levels a lot better when they are full of cigars. If they were holding at around 67-70% after you seasoned then you should be alright.
Step 4) Just relax.
Step 5) Search is your friend.

The best lesson I learned from here is that really anywhere between 65-75% humidity will be just fine and you'll drive yourself crazy if you get upset when it doesn't hold EXACTLY at 65% or 70%. Your only concern is if your ambient temp starts to get way above 70 deg. as then beetles can become a problem. Give the 65% beads some time to regulate. Also its best to have the most beads as possible exposed so you may just want to sit them in the humidor with the nylon bag, not in any sort of container.

Hope this helps!

The best lesson I learned from here is that really anywhere between 65-75% humidity will be just fine and you'll drive yourself crazy if you get upset when it doesn't hold EXACTLY at 65% or 70%. Your only concern is if your ambient temp starts to get way above 70 deg. as then beetles can become a problem. Give the 65% beads some time to regulate. Also its best to have the most beads as possible exposed so you may just want to sit them in the humidor with the nylon bag, not in any sort of container.

Hope this helps!

Great advice- I have found that the Heartfelt beads (although still great in my cannister/tubes) work much better in just the nylon bag. Good post Bluue

R

Just what bluue said, least now you know your humi's have a real good seal to them. When you get those cigars in them they might be slightly drier so they will suck up the humidity in your cases, and will probably drop a few more clicks. All will be good, so sit back, relax and wait for your sticks to show up. Then watch your levels and make your corrections and listen to alot of these guys, they know their stuff.

Rich

Thanks Bluee!

I followed the instructions to hydrate the beads, about 1/4 still white and small. I did noticed this morning that my main humi dropped another 1% (73% now). I think you are right, I just need to give them more time to regulate. You my boy Bluee! :)

I know that when I went from Boveda 72% packs to the 65% heartfelt beads it took my small (100 stick) humidor almost a week to drop down to the correct RH level.

But it looks like your humidor is starting to work itself out.

Just passing along what I've learned. Thank everyone! :)

Glad its working itself out.

My main humidor typically sits at 69-70% on my salt tested hygro. When I put in more cigars it drops to about 64% but when I re-charge the humidification device it jumps up to about 75% so I let the element sit out for about a day before putting it back in and the humi stays pretty stable.