• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidty levels

piratelooks

Ok guys,

I know we've been covering this topic, and going back and forth on it as well. Thoughts vary on what your use is, do you keep it @ 65- 68%, or @ around 70% etc... here's a wrinkle. We all know how it is to get smokes in the mail, somtimes if they're coming from a business, it may take them some time getting to you. What is the harm, if any of putting your sticks in a greater than 70% environment for a day or two, then bringing them back to the other levels. Sort of a decompression area to get some of their moisture back. I'm sure this will open a wide range of debate, so sound off.

john

Doubt there would be any debate. There is no reason, regardless how dry your cigars are, to over humidify.

Aloha John!

If you receive cigars that are dry you really shouldn't expose them to too much humidity too quickly. The filler tobaccos will suck up the humidity and expand.... if it expands too quickly your cigars will crack as the wrapper may not be able to take the expansion.

The key to restoring dry cigars is to do it slowly. Start off at 60% RH and work your way back up to your desired RH. It may take awhile but better safe than sorry. And... trust me on this one as it's based on my own experiences when I first started... LOL!

Aloha,

Wade

Very, very well stated Wade. :thumbs:

I've gotten to where I leave the details of "why" out of my post. :( Got to be more newbie friendly. ;) :D