• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hygrometer at Walmart

hydro-terp

I was cruising through the local Walmart and glanced at the section where they sell thermometers and noticed they have a small thermometer/hygrometer. Its in the hardware/paint section.

Its about the size of a pager, white, uses one AAA battery and its only $6.47. Cant find it on their website. It has a clip/magnet on the back that I removed for space saving.

Bought two and put one in the tupperdor that has 70% beads and its reading 67 after about 2 hrs.

Not bad for <$7

Thought ya'll might be interested.

Russell

406818.JPG

R

I was cruising through the local Walmart and glanced at the section where they sell thermometers and noticed they have a small thermometer/hygrometer. Its in the hardware/paint section.

Its about the size of a pager, white, uses one AAA battery and its only $6.47. Cant find it on their website. It has a clip/magnet on the back that I removed for space saving.

Bought two and put one in the tupperdoor that has 70% beads and its reading 67 after about 2 hrs.

Not bad for <$7

Thought ya'll might be interested.

Russell

Good find! :thumbs:

Give it the salt test and see where it's at.

Fortunately you seem to have found a good one. That one can be very hit and miss. The one I got was off by 12%, so I returned it and got one of the Perfecto cigar shaped ones. It's always within 3%.

Fortunately you seem to have found a good one. That one can be very hit and miss. The one I got was off by 12%, so I returned it and got one of the Perfecto cigar shaped ones. It's always within 3%.

Got to agree, bought that same unit and it was off 18%, returned it, and #2 was only off 14%. Gave up on that model and went with another one called the Acu-Rite. It's been dead on the money!! Salt tested it, jumped to 75% and stayed there, then I tested it with a 65% Boveda, and again it was on the number.

If I recall, it ran around $11 - $12, not too bad.

Got to agree, bought that same unit and it was off 18%, returned it, and #2 was only off 14%. Gave up on that model and went with another one called the Acu-Rite. It's been dead on the money!! Salt tested it, jumped to 75% and stayed there, then I tested it with a 65% Boveda, and again it was on the number.

So why didnt you just keep em if you determined what the "adjusted" number was. All you really care about is when it rises or falls from that number.

I'll give the two a salt test tonight maybe for chits and giggles. I got beads so all I care about is when to give'em a squirt.

Still hard to beat for the price of a sixpack. We'll see how they hold up.

R

I have purchased 6 different digital hydrometers from the perfecto size one (off 8%) to to the Western Digital Caliber III. All have been off 2-8% with the exception of the Caliber IIIs (I have 2 now). They have both tested (salt test and Boveda calibration) perfectly every time. With the stash that I have, I refuse to risk bad readings.

So why didnt you just keep em if you determined what the "adjusted" number was. All you really care about is when it rises or falls from that number.

I'll give the two a salt test tonight maybe for chits and giggles. I got beads so all I care about is when to give'em a squirt.

Still hard to beat for the price of a sixpack. We'll see how they hold up.

R

Have you done the salt test yet? What was the outcome?

Yup.

Amazingly both were spot on 75.

Pretty sure I done the test right. Followed the instructions from cigar nexus. Water-salt-slurry all inside rubbermaid container rather that double bagging in ziplock. Friday to Sunday evening. Took a little while to climb to 75. Both were up to 72/73 within a couple hours.

Mine must have come from the special "for use in tupperdor not on refridgerator door" assembly line.

R

Bought one also seems to read correctly (matches the analog) will try and do the salt test soon just to be sure.

Here is my 24 hour salt test report. I ran my old faithful, new hygro1, new hygro2, and one analog that I had laying around. Here is the top view of the salt test. Old faithful reads right on. 1 and 2 are both acceptable. The analog is just taking up a slot in the mad lab container. I think I got my money's worth.

hygrotop.jpg

Old faithful

hygro1.jpg

New one 1

hygronew1.jpg

new hygro 2

hygronew2.jpg

and the POS analog

hygroanalog.jpg

Yup.

Amazingly both were spot on 75.

Pretty sure I done the test right. Followed the instructions from cigar nexus. Water-salt-slurry all inside rubbermaid container rather that double bagging in ziplock. Friday to Sunday evening. Took a little while to climb to 75. Both were up to 72/73 within a couple hours.

Mine must have come from the special "for use in tupperdor not on refridgerator door" assembly line.

R

Wow, what a great thread. My hygro that came with my box sort of gave out on me when I tried to calibrate it. The needle sticks now and I have to tap it to get the needle to move to the right spot. Never the less, it is at ~72% (analog) after an 8 hour salt test. I'm going to buy the walmart one the next time I go there. Great information everyone. :thumbs:

That's quite a science project you got going on there Bruce. Looks good though. Thanks for the photos, interesting.

Very good project Nullsmurf! Definitely shows that all hygrometers are not created equal.

Mine is a western digital and at 65% using Mark's humidi-puck. The "show-off" analog hygrometer is pegged near 80%rh!!