• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hygrometer, Hygrometer, Hygrometer, HUH?

ckeller52

"All the Twitters. I know them."
Humidity measuring issues

I got a new humidor over the weekend and followed the manufactures suggestion on setting it up.

I used a 50/50 PG-distilled water mix in the hockey puck looking thing and the cigar looking things in the individual drawers.

I wiped all exposed internal wood surfaces with distilled water.

I let the humidor sit for two days and checked that the devices were still saturated after two days. And that the damp rags I left in open plastic bags were still wet after two days.

Then I added my sticks.

I also placed my Don Salvador hygrometer and the analog hygrometer that came with the humidor in a plastic zip lock bag with the salt and water (damp sand consistency) like suggested and let it sit for 6 hours. Then I calibrated the analog hygrometer through the bag so the atmosphere would not change and I noted that the digital unit was reading 71% at the time.

OK, fine.

Now I put the two hygrometers into the new humidor for a day and one reads 82% and the digital reads 67%. WTH?

So to try to make some sense out of this I go out last night and buy a new battery for the digital hygrometer and I buy another digital one at Bed Bath and Beyond then I throw all three of them into the humidor. (see picture below).

humi.JPG

The analog humidifier is at 80% ish. The silver digital is at 73% and the black digital is at 60%. This is after sitting there 90 minutes last night. I just IM’ed my wife and asked where the settings are now and she said the analog is at 74% for the silver 64% for the black and 81% for the analog one.

I don’t believe any of them right now.

Question is what to do? I know, just smoke all the sticks before they go bad right? No really. How do you tell if your hygrometer is reading correctly?

And no, I'm not going to throw the box away and get beads and a Tupperware container. My leftovers would all smell like cigars! :blush:

It takes a couple shots to get the analog one just right. I suggest doing the salt test again on the analog. This time put it in a mason jar. Leave it in for 6 hours, then adjust it to read %75. Leave it in for another 6, then re-adjust it to read %75. Keep doing this until it is within +/- 2%.
Since it is winter time, you'll want to do this in the warmest part of your house/apartment. If it is cold in the room, the RH migh not be able to reach %75.

Emo

The temp reads 80 degrees on the silver one. I'd be more worried about that then your RH. Perhaps the RH is way high because the temp is way high. Dunno? ???

Wow. I can't believe they are still telling people to do that.. great way to ruin, mold, and warp your brand new humidor.

Anyway.. you might want to consider purchasing beads. It takes a lot of guess work out of the whole deal and less hygrometer madness.

Very nice humidor! I've never had much luck with the analog hygrometers, although I'm sure there are some good ones. The digital ones on the other hand very in accuracy relative to quality. The better ones generally have a tighter setting accuracy. I have a couple Diamond Crown hygrometer's (medium priced) that are accurate within 2 to 3% of each other. I also have an oasis xl (with the read out) that seems to be very accurate. I check them every couple of months by placing them next to the oasis for a few hours. I have access to a dew cell at work, so for grins I check one of the hygrometers to that every few months.

The bottom line is if you doubt one of your digital hygrometers, send it in and get it checked/ calibrated. Use the analog hygrometer for decoration.

smallg is right on avoid getting the wood saturated in your humidor. Bring the humidity up slowly.

Try not to get too anal about all this and enjoy the hobby.

Did you salt test all 3 of the Hygro's? If not salt test all 3 and find out how much different they are all off. Could be that they are all giving readings because they are all of by that much. Salt test them all and keep track of the differences. After 8 hours minimum in the salt test they should read 75% RH, if they don't make note so you have something for future reference.

i had a problem with that remote (Bonair) in that the opening for air was obstructed. maybe try and turn it sideways, so the sensor part is in the middle of the humi.

I've never trusted any analog hygrometer. I salt-tested my digital right after I got it and it read 75% on the dot. To play it safe, just by some beads. Before I got my cooler, I was running 3 humis. I didn't even have hygrometers in two of them. I just felt the cigars every once in a while to make sure they weren't dry, and made sure I smoked at least one of them out of those humis ever couple of days to make sure it wasn't too wet. I had beads in both of them, so they were just fine.

I've had very consistant results with the salt test, but I "double bag" the hygros to get a very good seal. Using a mason jar as Emo suggests would also be a good way to ensure you have a < very > good seal. I use a shot glass so I can see how much water is in the salt.

Also, I've found that more than 12 but less than 24 hours seems to be the "golden" time to wait.

Test them again; that should tell you 'what's up'.....but for god's sake don't get too anal about it (like I was for the first few months). Depending on who you listen to, something between 58 and 72% is perfectly acceptable. I try to store at 70 and smoke at 62-63 but it's not as hyper critical as some would lead you to believe.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

emodx said:
It takes a couple shots to get the analog one just right. I suggest doing the salt test again on the analog. This time put it in a mason jar. Leave it in for 6 hours, then adjust it to read %75. Leave it in for another 6, then re-adjust it to read %75. Keep doing this until it is within +/- 2%.
Since it is winter time, you'll want to do this in the warmest part of your house/apartment. If it is cold in the room, the RH migh not be able to reach %75.

Emo
[snapback]271223[/snapback]​

Makes sense, I'll give it a shot.

I've got the room temp down a little more too 75*ish now

smallg said:

Wow. I can't believe they are still telling people to do that.. great way to ruin, mold, and warp your brand new humidor.

Anyway.. you might want to consider purchasing beads. It takes a lot of guess work out of the whole deal and less hygrometer madness.
[snapback]271226[/snapback]​
I don't believe bead sources are against the rules. Where do I find these beads? :blush:

duglynukem said:
Very nice humidor!
[snapback]271236[/snapback]​
Thanks! I thought so too.
duglynukem said:
I've never had much luck with the analog hygrometers, although I'm sure there are some good ones. The digital ones on the other hand very in accuracy relative to quality. The better ones generally have a tighter setting accuracy. I have a couple Diamond Crown hygrometer's (medium priced) that are accurate within 2 to 3% of each other. I also have an oasis xl (with the read out) that seems to be very accurate. I check them every couple of months by placing them next to the oasis for a few hours. I have access to a dew cell at work, so for grins I check one of the hygrometers to that every few months.

The bottom line is if you doubt one of your digital hygrometers, send it in and get it checked/ calibrated. Use the analog hygrometer for decoration.

smallg is right on avoid getting the wood saturated in your humidor. Bring the humidity up slowly.

Try not to get too anal about all this and enjoy the hobby.
[snapback]271236[/snapback]​

Thanks for the advice. I didn't really soak the wood. I just wiped it. It didn't really get too wet IMO. And believe me I'm more about smoking them than making them comfortable. :D

Captain Leafheart said:
You can always ask our Bill Clinton for his advice.

[snapback]271242[/snapback]​

I was just going to make a single reply "Screw all this, I'm just going to PM Bill" :D

BlindedByScience said:
I've had very consistant results with the salt test, but I "double bag" the hygros to get a very good seal.
[snapback]271343[/snapback]​

OK, weekend project is to re-do the salt test as suggested here and keep the heat between 70 and 75 for the test and the sticks.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

ckeller52 said:
BlindedByScience said:
I've had very consistant results with the salt test, but I "double bag" the hygros to get a very good seal. 
[snapback]271343[/snapback]​

OK, weekend project is to re-do the salt test as suggested here and keep the heat between 70 and 75 for the test and the sticks.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
[snapback]271413[/snapback]​
66-70 degrees is optimal for cigars in terms of ageing and prevention of beetle infestation.

Emo

[snapback]271413[/snapback]​
[/quote]
66-70 degrees is optimal for cigars in terms of ageing and prevention of beetle infestation.

Emo
[snapback]271468[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Ok fine, I'll put the humi on the floor. It's cooler there. :p But I'm now curious on how that will prevent infestation. I thought if you have larvae you will have insects. These things won't hatch if the temp is below 70*?

ckeller52 said:
ddepaola said:
Viper's Beads
:thumbs:
[snapback]271464[/snapback]​

Beads ordered, Thanks.
[snapback]271622[/snapback]​
holy dog***t! a newb who actually took some advise!(unlike bill) good job ck, good job indeed! :thumbs: