• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hygrometer Problems

SmokerB

Banned
Reaction score
Hey,

Well I have a CREDO LCD (blah, blah blah) hygrometer and ever since this deep cold front has been reading 10% off... I did a calibration test overnight and it read 65%. Currently its reading 55% which in this case would translate to 65%. Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I just have to add the 10% until the air isnt so dry??

Thanks

PS: I have troubleshooted, and restarted, and changed the batteries...

First do search (In this section) on humidity levels and what happens to all of us in the winter. There tends to be a drop during the winter and it could be significant.

How big is your humidor and what are you using for humidifcation. It very possible it is not your hyro at all.

Did you do a Salt Test when you first got it?? How do you know it was accurate when you first started using it. You also may want to do the salt test for closer to 24-48 hours to le the environment really stablize.

Just some thoughts and suggestions.

Al

my humidor holds id say 300-400 sticks?... roughly

I am using two of those xikar gel humidification devices as well as a cup of distilled water.. I just put that it. It has stabilized at 55% for the past 24 hours.

my humidor holds id say 300-400 sticks?... roughly

I am using two of those xikar gel humidification devices as well as a cup of distilled water.. I just put that it. It has stabilized at 55% for the past 24 hours.

No offense to Xikar (I have two of their cutters) but those Gel Jars suck.....regardless of who makes them, IMHO. That gel may good for short term storage (i.e., travel humidors) but I would not use it a humidor of your size.

How old are the jars? Have you ever refilled them?

I would do the following:

-Retest your hyrgo for at least 24-48 hours and make sure what ever you are using has a good seal. I put mine into a clear Tupperware container and then put the container into a Ziplock bag. You should really get an accurate calibriation.

-Spend some time researching this forum for alternate humidification devices. I would suggest Heartfelt beads from Viper (Dave) but there are many things you can do.

I really do not think your issue is your hygro. Although if it is 10% off then you should get a new one of those too......

Yeah.. Its gone up to 60% so I suppose im not doing terrible. I will have to invest in those Heartfelt Beads sometime soon. Thanks for your advice. I think its just the cold dry air and not being prepared honestly.

Thanks

Hello?

Change your battery.

1. Digital hygros are not measurably affected by temp.
2. Was reading good, then changed to 10% low
3. Weak battery will make it read low.

+1 on the battery
+1 on digital hydros aren't affected by temp
+1 again on a salt test
+1 again on the gel jar things aren't worth a crap
+1 on search

:)

-1 that digital hygros are not affected by temperature.

Whether digital or analog, a hygro will display RELATIVE humidity. In simple words, in a given sealed environment like a humidor, if it gets cooler then the humidity will drop. And if it gets hotter, then the humidity will rise.