• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hygros with multiple personalities?

smokintexas

What have I gotton myself into?!
About two months ago I got a Xikar digital hygro, did the salt test, and after about 18 hours it was steadily reading at 75%. A few days ago I got two more and decided to salt test them together. It took a bit longer, about 24 hours, but they seemed to be holding steady at 75% as well. I threw one of the new hygros in the humi with the old hygro to compare them and they were completely different. The new one was reading at about 63% and the old one was reading at about 72%. Seeing the disparity I decided to salt test all three again to guarantee accuracy. After 8 hours in a double ziplock bag with a shot glass of salt/distilled water (mushy with no extra water floating on top) all three hygros are reading at drastically different RH. One of the new ones is reading at 66%, the other new one is reading at 74%, and the old one is reading at 85%. My question is this: Does this happen a lot? I know I can just adjust them, but I am worried about false readings going forward. The two brand new ones were salt tested together and reading the same thing yesterday, but one day later and they are reading 8% different, what could be going on here guys?

Edit to say that it's table salt that I'm using.

What are you using for a humidifier? If its HF beads, I would just maintain them and not worry. I know, if you told me that I'd say your crazy..

What are you using for a humidifier? If its HF beads, I would just maintain them and not worry. I know, if you told me that I'd say your crazy..

In my desktop I have a drymistat tube, but in the Vino I'll be using the HF beads and while I do trust the beads I'd also like to have the peace of mind of having a couple of hygros in there. I'll probably just adjust all three of them in a few hours and throw 'em back in and assume everything is kosher. I was just surprised to see such a large disparity in the RH readings from the three hygros.