• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I am Back

ParaGod

Semper Fi
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am home now, I got home about 3 hours ago. Things where worse than I thought, and we lossed a brother at the fire. "Steve Rucker" He is from a neighboring fire dept. His crew was working just over the hill from us. He will be greatly missed.

I saw that on the news, very sad indeed.

Take care out there Mike!!

This fire had to be the worse fire I have ever seen, we got down there around 2:30 in the morning, and was sent directly to the front, now I have been in many forest fires, but this was really the first time that I was scared for my life, outside of actually combat. The fire behavior was extremely erratic, and we seem to be constantly fighting a defensive battle, the engine crew that I was on was tasked with structure protection, and we seem to be running from one house to the next, and we lossed more house than we saved. We rarely got a break, and the first time we were able to sleep or really eat was about 48 hours after we got on the line. Now I did bring a bunch of cigars for me and my crew, but seeing how all the crews were as tired as I was and sometimes worse, I decided to give all of them to my crew and the crews around me, plus all the smoke made it damn hard to smoke, hell I am still spitting up nasty black phlegm. We spent most of our time either on the engine or sleeping under it. The hardest thing about this fire was the sheer helplessness we felt when we lossed a house, but the fire was moving so fast, it seemed that we would get to a house and start to either cut away the fuel or put foam on the house, when we had to run to the engine and take off due to encroaching fire. I tell you the sheer emotional roller coaster we were all on was plain to see on each others faces. The last time I saw expressions like this, was in military combat. Plus the loss of a brother firefighter is always tough, but we all have a job to do and we all understand the risks, with this in mind we went back to work. We were pulled off the line last nite around 2300 and flown back home, a replacement crew was flown down to take our place. I am still tired but not as bad as last nite.

He will be remembered always, God bless Him, His family and YOU!!!!

Phil

God bless and keep Steve Rucker. and may God give comfort and
strength to his family and loved ones.
i am glad to see you back safe PG, so far that is as i suppose
you'll be going back out. stay as safe as possible out there
brother and return to us safely once again.

todd

Mike good to see you back home safely. Deeply sorry to hear about the loss of Steve Rucker :( You guys are all heroes to me :D

BenjieV :D

PG, all of you doing your duty down there in SoCal are heroes in everyone's eyes. Glad you're back safe. Condolences out to the lost. :(

Welcome home Mike, and a Great Many Thanks for being who you are and doing what you do. :thumbs:

My condolences to the family of Steve Rucker, may he rest in peace, and be remembered as a fallen Hero that he is. :(

Welcome back PG, I'm glad you're safe.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and all who have been fighting so hard to protect everyone.

Welcome back PG. Thanks for all your hardwork, I really appreciate it! Sorry to hear about the loss of a fellow firefighter.

The weather has rapidly changed down here. It rained pretty hard friday night into Saturday. Now it's just cold. Looks like it may rain again tonight. Sure hope it pours, we can use it.

Thank you again!

Rod

Glad to see you back I am proud of you and of Steve as well. Good job.

It makes me sad to hear about the loss of your fellow firefighter.

I am glad to see you have safely returned to your family & friends.

To quote benjiev: "You guys are all heroes to me"

Welcome back PG

Good to see you back PG and I'm sorry you all lost a brother Fireman. You all deserve a major pat on the back and keep up the great work....... :) :thumbs: :)

Sorry to hear about your bro PG. I am also glad though that you made it home and safe. Welcome back.

Sam

Wow - glad to hear you're back and despite the loss of a brother, at least you're ok! As everyone has already said - You Are A Hero to us, and expecially to the hundreds or thousands of people that you were trying to help. :love:

Ok, I know this isn't the time for it - but as far as I know "lossed" is not a word. I think you meant "lost". Sorry, but if I didn't say anything, it was going to eat away at me all day!

Dave ;)

Welcome back Michael. I am truely sorry for the loss of your fellow firefighter. The fact that you guys put your lives on the line ever day is not lost on me. Glad you made it back safe and sound.