• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I don't get it.

Drake

had a perfeccion #5 last night. my third opus. still not impressed. i think its the wrapper that i don't like. i just don't think they are anything special other than how rare they are. the construction was superb. don't think it could have been much better. it burned a little uneven. nothing my torch couldn't easily touch up. but the flavor IMHO wasn't as great as i would expect from a cigar with such a reputation. i'm definitely not saying it was a bad cigar, or even that its not worth MSRP for this particular size, but i don't think they're as good as they are made out to be, or worth any amout over MSRP. i'd take a DCMax over an opus any day. but this should be good news for you guys. one less smoker dipping in the shallow opus pool. i will say that the best part about the cigar was the finish. i enjoyed the flavor more after i was done smoking it. even after i brushed my teeth, i could still taste it, and it was pretty good.

also tried some scotch for the first time last night. walker black (not with my cigar) didn't like it straight. added some coke and it was pretty good. and it tasted like jack and coke, but way better. probably won't buy any more. just not my thing.

For shame. Is this a joke? I can understand someone not being a fan of a particular cigar, but adding Coke to JWBL? Send me the rest of the bottle, cruel and unusual punishment is illegal in this country!

Too bad about the Opus X. I'm sure you'd have no problem unloading them here if you want!

Drake, I'll trade you for all the #5s you have. My favorite Opus. Let me know!

bfreebern said:
Drake, I'll trade you for all the #5s you have. My favorite Opus. Let me know!
[snapback]208652[/snapback]​
it was my only one. got it in a pass.

and no joke. i added coke. otherwise, i probably woud have tossed the glass. maybe i just have bad taste.

I've never had a #5 but I've had plenty of most of the other sizes and I'm just the opposite. I love Opus but don't really care for DCM. I've had 2 different size DCMs and thought the construction was great but there was nothing really great about it. I don't think I will smoke another. Too bad I don't have any more, we could swap.

Drake said:
had a perfeccion #5 last night. my third opus. still not impressed. i think its the wrapper that i don't like. i just don't think they are anything special other than how rare they are. the construction was superb. don't think it could have been much better. it burned a little uneven. nothing my torch couldn't easily touch up. but the flavor IMHO wasn't as great as i would expect from a cigar with such a reputation. i'm definitely not saying it was a bad cigar, or even that its not worth MSRP for this particular size, but i don't think they're as good as they are made out to be, or worth any amout over MSRP. i'd take a DCMax over an opus any day. but this should be good news for you guys. one less smoker dipping in the shallow opus pool. i will say that the best part about the cigar was the finish. i enjoyed the flavor more after i was done smoking it. even after i brushed my teeth, i could still taste it, and it was pretty good.

[snapback]208647[/snapback]​

Hmmmm ..... ??? , so let me get this straight. You are telling us that the taste profile of an Opus X isn't to your liking and that you don't get it? What exactly don't you get? You don't get why some of us think they are so special, would pay over MSRP for them, and think they are as good as they are made out to be?

Simple ..... its because the taste profile of an Opus X "is" to our liking.

:cool:

How fresh was it? If you let it rest for a year you might like it better ;)

KayakinBoy said:
How fresh was it? If you let it rest for a year you might like it better ;)
[snapback]208724[/snapback]​
i'll probably grab a couple and do that. i didn't dislike it. i just wasn't utterly impressed.

Smoke a few more Drake. I didn't really like the Opus at first either. But as I smoked them, I found myself liking them more and more. It's certainly a different taste when compared to other cigars.

my first Opus (not that I have had as many as some people here) I got the same impression, nothing special. That Opus was a #5 as well, but it was fresh and not aged. I was gifted a few older Opus' from '03, and there is a huge difference. I am fully impressed with the flavor of an aged Opus. Hard to describe, you have to experience it yourself. I now have a few I purchased and they are in the humi growing old. Give it a second chance, then make a decision.

Drake said:

also tried some scotch for the first time last night. walker black (not with my cigar) didn't like it straight. added some coke and it was pretty good. and it tasted like jack and coke, but way better. probably won't buy any more. just not my thing.
[snapback]208647[/snapback]​

Ah man you put coke in Johnny Walker Black, My friend try on the rocks with your cigar next time. Its Great.
I also would like to give you credit for your review, The old school guys on cp swear up and down about opus, I respect your honest review.

Tonydogs ;)

I love the flavor of Opus; there's nothing quite like it. However it's all about personal taste. Not everyone likes the same foods, wines, beer, etc., same with cigars. However, I will say that you can't judge any cigar by having just one of 'em.

Ya Bastid Drake! I wanted that opus from the pass and then you get it and don't even care for it. Just drive the stake into my heart. :0

I never had one either so I don't know if I would have like it. But was willing to try a few....Dozen! :whistling:

Think I need to light up an OpusX tonight. :p I just love the smaller size Opus (Fuente Fuente, #4, #5). They are really something special....

moki said:
I love the flavor of Opus; there's nothing quite like it.
[snapback]208816[/snapback]​

I think San Cristobal and LG Diez are about the closest thing. but Diez is too strong!

mrjinglesusa said:
Think I need to light up an OpusX tonight. :p I just love the smaller size Opus (Fuente Fuente, #4, #5). They are really something special....
[snapback]208821[/snapback]​

I second that! :thumbs:

bfreebern said:
Smoke a few more Drake. I didn't really like the Opus at first either. But as I smoked them, I found myself liking them more and more. It's certainly a different taste when compared to other cigars.
[snapback]208741[/snapback]​

Hold on now. The guy said he doesn't like them. We don't really need another Opus smoker. Besides, it's better for him to not aquire a taste for them. I curse the day I smoked my first Anejo.

seamus said:
bfreebern said:
Smoke a few more Drake.  I didn't really like the Opus at first either.  But as I smoked them, I found myself liking them more and more.  It's certainly a different taste when compared to other cigars.
[snapback]208741[/snapback]​

Hold on now. The guy said he doesn't like them. We don't really need another Opus smoker. Besides, it's better for him to not aquire a taste for them. I curse the day I smoked my first Anejo.
[snapback]208841[/snapback]​

You forgot to wave your hand in the air, using the Jedi mind trick.

Yeah seriously... there is enough competition for these cigars. He doesn't like 'em? Oh well! :)

moki said:
Yeah seriously... there is enough competition for these cigars. He doesn't like 'em? Oh well! :)
[snapback]208844[/snapback]​

You have enough anyway, so what's your point? :D