• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I don't want Penn State to play for the National Championship

badhangover

It's well known to my friends and family that I am a Penn State fan. Lately, as Penn State's undefeated season has progressed, I'm amazed at how many people have said to me, "It would be great for JoePa to go out with a national championship. He can retire on top." My initial reaction was: WTF? Why would Joe ever retire? Then I started reading articles and blogs with the same silly notion. It's finally struck me that winning the title would bring enormous pressure on Joe to retire on a high note. Maybe he'd want to. In my mind, he'll never retire - but who knows what's in his mind. It's the outside pressure on him to retire that I don't understand. It's not all "outside" pressure either. Despite all he's done for the school, I'm not all that sure they want him to stay until he drops on the sideline during a game. It's only a couple years past when he had to fight off the critics who said he was too old to ever win again. Even with winning it all, I think they still think that. How they think that, I have no idea. I'm not saying he's one to be swayed by public opinion, but it must suck for him after all he's done to know people are salivating for him to kick rocks - and some of those people are from within his own institution.

Plus, on a selfish note, I've already got Rose Bowl tickets lined up. That's just a short drive for me. The Sugar Bowl? Mucho driving time. I couldn't swing it.

I want them to win. I really do want them to win it all. I just don't wanna hear about replacing Joe afterwords...

WE ARE!!!

edit: Had to edit the title. Original was too long and got cutoff.

I don't either, but for different reasons. :)

The BCS Championship isn't at the Sugar Bowl this year...it's in Miami so you're better off flying if you go.

I have 6 tickets to the BCS Championship game and I sure hope there's an SEC team and Texas or USC is in there. If a Big 10 team plays then my tickets go way down in value :( Of course...I really want Texas to stumble and Florida to win out so that they can go :D

Blasphemer! lol! We all know Alabama is gonna play either GA again or FL for the sec title...and well...i will be sheer giddy!! Roll Tide! I hope they take it all the way for all those who said we would probably only be 6-6 or 7-5

Melly

The BCS Championship isn't at the Sugar Bowl this year...it's in Miami so you're better off flying if you go.

I have 6 tickets to the BCS Championship game and I sure hope there's an SEC team and Texas or USC is in there. If a Big 10 team plays then my tickets go way down in value :( Of course...I really want Texas to stumble and Florida to win out so that they can go :D

BB Code Help Toggle Side Panel

Post Options
Enable emoticons?
Enable signature?
Enable email notification of replies?

Post Icons
(Optional)

[ Use None ]

I dont want them to win it either but I just don't like them. I have a ton of respect for the school and their program.

I do not care for JoePa as while it is always well documented about the good things he has done for the area and the school, etc, no one ever talks about what a miserable guy he is and how he has decreased the entrance requirements into PSU to get the "right" kind of players he needs and also how he has turned a blind eye to the mayhem the football players cause on campus.

I live in NEPA and their fans are everywhere and they are terrible to deal with. I have met many other PSU fans around the country and they are nice people...here its awful

What I want to see is this...for PSU to go undefeated and also for Bama and Texas to go underdefeated so PSU cannot jump them in the polls

I dont want them to win it either but I just don't like them. I have a ton of respect for the school and their program.

I do not care for JoePa as while it is always well documented about the good things he has done for the area and the school, etc, no one ever talks about what a miserable guy he is and how he has decreased the entrance requirements into PSU to get the "right" kind of players he needs and also how he has turned a blind eye to the mayhem the football players cause on campus.

I live in NEPA and their fans are everywhere and they are terrible to deal with. I have met many other PSU fans around the country and they are nice people...here its awful

What I want to see is this...for PSU to go undefeated and also for Bama and Texas to go underdefeated so PSU cannot jump them in the polls

Also living in NEPA, I agree 100%. I really find PSU fans obnoxious (almost as bad as Notre Dame fans).

Well my favorite Penn State fans are AVB and badhangover...that said...I listen to the Paul Finebaum show here on Jox in Birmingham and i had the complete displeasure of a few Penn State fans call in...wow i wanted to hurl it...almost as bad as the Auburn fans calling in...course it's like any college...every one of them has their share of "good uns"

Melly

Well my favorite Penn State fans are AVB and badhangover...that said...I listen to the Paul Finebaum show here on Jox in Birmingham and i had the complete displeasure of a few Penn State fans call in...wow i wanted to hurl it...almost as bad as the Auburn fans calling in...course it's like any college...every one of them has their share of "good uns"

Melly

I am with you...They are my favorite too. They have not been talking "crazy" but are good solid fans and not the ones who talk talk talk and have no idea what they are saying.

Every team has good and bad fans out there. I think I've met the rowdiest fans at SEC games (LSU and Tenn come to mind), but I really don't mind rowdy. The fans I really liked the least were Ohio St. fans at the BCS Championship in 2007. All of those guys kept talking about how big and bad the Big 10 was and really had a sense of entitlement rather than enthusiasm. After they lost game all I kept hearing was "At least we beat Michigan". I really couldn't believe what I was hearing.